SYNET7LP concerns/feedback

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Chuck,
There are 2 issues here. 1) Finding the right battery. 2) Installing it. My impression is the battery is wired in. If this is true trying to replace it will require that you have some soldering skill.

If you can take a picture of the battery or at least report the battery information on the outside of the battery we can take a shot at trying to find one.

My experience with the Sylvania Netbook is I could find 2 Chinese manufacturers of the thing but haven't (yet) been able to locate a retailer who will sell less than 500 or 1,000 batteries.

If the tablet is still under warranty I would ask DG about returning it for another tablet.

If you have not investigated the ways to extend the tablet battery life (install the power widget, turn down the screen brightness, toggle wifi off if you are not using it, toggle the e-mail sync off) it could be that you will gain enough to keep it....

Tom Miller

I partially opened mine up to look at the battery.
I could not get it all the way open because one of the flat flex cables seemed to be glued to the outer housing.

However, inside it seems that there are two separate batteries, taped together, presumably wired in series.
Each is most likely a 3.6volt, resulting in a total 7.2 volts for the tablet.

So if a there was a popular cell phone, or digital camera, or similar device, that was relatively thin, rated at 3.6 or 3.7 volts and somewhere around 1500-2000mAh
that would be great and probably work.

The replacement process would be non-trivial, however.

lan_baba

Dec 26, 2010
We need to press hard on Sylvania or DG to give us a working automatic update for 2.20. It is already too long.

chuck3565

Apr 5, 2011
Chuck,
There are 2 issues here. 1) Finding the right battery. 2) Installing it. My impression is the battery is wired in. If this is true trying to replace it will require that you have some soldering skill.

If you can take a picture of the battery or at least report the battery information on the outside of the battery we can take a shot at trying to find one.

My experience with the Sylvania Netbook is I could find 2 Chinese manufacturers of the thing but haven't (yet) been able to locate a retailer who will sell less than 500 or 1,000 batteries.

If the tablet is still under warranty I would ask DG about returning it for another tablet.

If you have not investigated the ways to extend the tablet battery life (install the power widget, turn down the screen brightness, toggle wifi off if you are not using it, toggle the e-mail sync off) it could be that you will gain enough to keep it....

Tom Miller

I couldn't find a battery for it either so i bought a Sylvania tablet with a broken screen and transplanted the battery. The battery is very thin, thinner than the Eken M001 battery and there is no room for a thicker battery, so replacements will be hard to come by. Soldering the battery in isn't a job for an inexperienced solderer. (The solder pads are very small with other copper traces very close to the pads.) Also, when prying off the back, there is a ribbon cable pressing against the seam at one point. So the prying tool can't be pressed into the seam too far without damaging the cable. Once the battery was replaced, I can browse for 2+ hours between charges. Chuck

chuck3565

Apr 5, 2011
I have two of these units, one with Android 2.2 and the other with Android 2.1. On both it is next to impossible to actuate the home button with my fingernail. The 2.2 is worse even though the other parts of the screen are more responsive. Does anyone have an app. where the home button can be linked to an icon on another part of the screen? Thanks. Chuck

Found an app. that will solve this problem. It is called Button Savior. If your tablet is rooted, it works great. Chuck

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Ok, I am on my second set of these, kind of. I started out with two of the EX7 and after sending them back twice with various issues (wifi drop, lockup, boot freeze, not able to update, etc...) they upgraded me with two brand new (used) NET7's. I get them and they are nice. Auto rotate, lock screen, quicker boot loading and I love one of them. The other one is a plastic coated POS. Wifi drop, battery discharge from 90% (all that I can get it to charge to) to auto shutdown in 24-25 minutes running NOTHING but the battery status screen and now as I am typing this, it is switching back and forth from Batt Status "charging" to "full" and Batt Level from "charging" to 100% about every second or so. When I unplug it, the battery level drops to 85-86% and it starts the countdown to black. Part of me wants to leave it plugged in and see if it ever fully charges and yet my primal brain tells me that it REALLY doesn't want to wake up at 3am with my bedroom on fire.....

chuck3565

Apr 5, 2011
Ok, I am on my second set of these, kind of. I started out with two of the EX7 and after sending them back twice with various issues (wifi drop, lockup, boot freeze, not able to update, etc...) they upgraded me with two brand new (used) NET7's. I get them and they are nice. Auto rotate, lock screen, quicker boot loading and I love one of them. The other one is a plastic coated POS. Wifi drop, battery discharge from 90% (all that I can get it to charge to) to auto shutdown in 24-25 minutes running NOTHING but the battery status screen and now as I am typing this, it is switching back and forth from Batt Status "charging" to "full" and Batt Level from "charging" to 100% about every second or so. When I unplug it, the battery level drops to 85-86% and it starts the countdown to black. Part of me wants to leave it plugged in and see if it ever fully charges and yet my primal brain tells me that it REALLY doesn't want to wake up at 3am with my bedroom on fire.....

That sounds like the battery is defective. The symptoms are the same as one of my tablets had. Replacing the battery repaired it. Chuck

dacft0

Aug 2, 2011
Just purchased my Sylvania 7" Android Tablet model SYNET7LP for $99 from Big Lots. It came preloaded with Android 2.2 and has an accelerometer that works. When I first booted (after charging), I noticed it was very sluggish at first but seemed to improve some (but not much) after 10 minutes of being on. Programs stalled several times and had to reset twice. Once it was running better I installed Opera and that kind of improved my web experience (by load times only). However when I went to check my memory status I noticed that my SD card was recognized and reported 2GB but the devices internal storage reported 0.00B when it should have reported something around 2GB. I thought maybe a glitch a reset could take care of, but that didn't work. In fact after I reset the device lost all my settings and programs I installed. I checked the memory status again and internal still reports 0.00B. After redoing all my settings and installing Opera again I just turned the unit off with the power button and slide motion, and again after turning it back on all my settings and installed programs were gone. :-(

Has any one else had this issue? Is there a fix or a thread somewhere that has some answers? I've searched and found many more issues with the SYNET7LP and similar tablets but not the missing internal storage problem. Any info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Joe

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Has any one else had this issue? Is there a fix or a thread somewhere that has some answers? I've searched and found many more issues with the SYNET7LP and similar tablets but not the missing internal storage problem. Any info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Congratulations on your purchase. This tablet has a few issues but has potential. Yes the issue has been reported multiple times. Here's a couple of the related memory threads with more details on "factory reset".

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/15888-0-internal-memory.html#post93968

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/10399-how-do-i-format-internal-memory.html

Markel

Sep 2, 2011
I picked up a SYNET7LP from 1saleaday.com for $70 in August and have really enjoyed it. However, tonight as I was using it it froze up. After forcing a power down (holding the power button until it shut down), when it restarted (after a looooong powerup time) it came up as if it was first being powered on (with the screen calibration), and after setting it up (setting up my home network, time zone, etc.) and powering off, on the next power up it was back to the screen calibration (and none of my settings persisting). So something has really failed. I sent an email to [email protected] to see what they will do for me.

candymann0

Sep 28, 2011
Hello I am intrested in finding information in getting a replacement digitizer for my sylvania tablet...dg doesn't even seen to care to want to talk to me about it....

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Android Tablet Forum

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
I picked up a SYNET7LP from 1saleaday.com for $70 in August and have really enjoyed it. However, tonight as I was using it it froze up. After forcing a power down (holding the power button until it shut down), when it restarted (after a looooong powerup time) it came up as if it was first being powered on (with the screen calibration), and after setting it up (setting up my home network, time zone, etc.) and powering off, on the next power up it was back to the screen calibration (and none of my settings persisting). So something has really failed. I sent an email to [email protected] to see what they will do for me.

Mine has the same problem from time to time, which is what prompted me to post this...

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/23792-imaging-question.html

I've pretty much worked around the issue.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Hello I am intrested in finding information in getting a replacement digitizer for my sylvania tablet...dg doesn't even seen to care to want to talk to me about it....

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Android Tablet Forum

There are NO parts available for the Sylvania tabs, not even from the mfg. If your screen is usable (not broken/cracked) you can use a usb mouse. If it is shattered, its junk. You can sell the parts on here (charger, motherboard, wifi, etc...) or as a whole unit, but don't expect to get your $100 back.

Markel

Sep 2, 2011
Well, after going through Settings / Privacy / Factory Data Reset, my SYNET7LP is now working again. However, all the apps I had installed are gone. Unfortunately, a number of those got installed when I had a working Market, which is no longer working.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Well, after going through Settings / Privacy / Factory Data Reset, my SYNET7LP is now working again. However, all the apps I had installed are gone. Unfortunately, a number of those got installed when I had a working Market, which is no longer working.

Unfortunately that is the way it is.... UPDATE your tablet first before you go thru the trouble of reloading your apps and going thru the motions of getting a working Market. The update will do the same damn thing.