Taking the S7 apart

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Got a bit bored and so I got my mini torx driver set out with the intention of taking the S7 apart.
First problem is carefully removing the tiny rubber plugs that sit over the screws. That is, all but one, which is white sticker warranty sealed.
Removed them all and noticed three black 'patches', one of which is a rounded shape.
These are stuck in place pieces of card and the two larger ones reveal two arrays of contacts which look as if they could just be accessed by the correct sort of plug (factory flashing, assembly line testing?).
However the smaller rounded piece reveals what I believe to be an antenna connector. Interesting!
Anyway that's as far as I got as I couldn't work out how the halves came apart.
They just didn't want to split.
Anybody else tried it.? I really want to know the memory configuration.
Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
good stuff..... would be cool to open it see how hard it is to change the wiring on the camera's...flip them and viola fring now works with front cam :>P

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Now that should be technically possible!

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
yes would be an easy fix depending on the wiring scheme...... and the native camera app would still work with the menu to switch cam1 - cam2

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
So who knows how to pull these things apart?

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
Would be nice to find that the internal card is a microsdhc that we could swap out.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
That would be great. I don't have the heart to tear apart something I spent a lot of money on ;( Until someone that knows what they are doing shows me how! Them I'm game.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
What I'm interested In knowing, is that on the models that have the 8Gb internal sd card, is that in a card slot, or soldered to the board, and if in a card slot, if this exists on the telstra sold s7.

~Ivy

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
What I'm interested In knowing, is that on the models that have the 8Gb internal sd card, is that in a card slot, or soldered to the board, and if in a card slot, if this exists on the telstra sold s7.

~Ivy
The impression I'm getting is that Huawei manufacture one model and then confige it by populating the mem in various ways and either installing a front camera or not.
If you could check the System Build info with Android System Info on your device then we may see the same as on mine and then we'd know!

pegaxs

Nov 27, 2010
I am very experienced in pulling down these types of gadgets for replacing screens and other broken parts... what i do as a part time job is repair small electronics, phones, iPods and the like... I have all the pull down tools here anyone would ever want... and for 2 hours i tried, and could find no way to getting any of it apart... I could get the top edge, the side edges and the top to unclip, but not the corners... I even broke 2 of my specalist tools doing it... Another day when i have more time and some replacement tools turn up, i will have another crack at it.

I did it for the knowledge and i was doing it so i could do a write up for you guys. That, and i just know i will see one soon with water damage or a broken screen...

Will get back to you all... i too am curious to see if the internal memory is soldered in or if there is a SD card slot mounted to the MB... keen to see :)

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I am very experienced in pulling down these types of gadgets for replacing screens and other broken parts... what i do as a part time job is repair small electronics, phones, iPods and the like... I have all the pull down tools here anyone would ever want... and for 2 hours i tried, and could find no way to getting any of it apart... I could get the top edge, the side edges and the top to unclip, but not the corners... I even broke 2 of my specalist tools doing it... Another day when i have more time and some replacement tools turn up, i will have another crack at it.

I did it for the knowledge and i was doing it so i could do a write up for you guys. That, and i just know i will see one soon with water damage or a broken screen...

Will get back to you all... i too am curious to see if the internal memory is soldered in or if there is a SD card slot mounted to the MB... keen to see :)
Thanks for that and you seem to have spent as much as I did and got as far
My last thought was may be the screen pushes out front ways after the removal of the rear screws with perhaps double sided tape holding it in place. Then further anchor points inside for the case halves.
This sucker is very well made!!!!!!

pegaxs

Nov 27, 2010
I got to thinking that it was a double sided tape thing, just like the 1st few generations of iPods. I just dont want mine to be the first one that i have to source a new screen to repair it... to me it seems as though the corners are really anchored in. They are where i come to an end. The sides pop open pretty easy, just when you get to a corner, it just wont unclip from the corner... I know i could take to it with a screwdriver, but i dont want to mess it up, and i want to be able to do a tutorial on it when i can get it to come apart so others can open it up without wrecking it.... And so i dont wreck any of my customer units should i get any :)

Perseverance is the answer :D

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So gang - do we start a bounty for pegaxs to cover some of his costs in order to get a tear down in return?

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
If it is going to be that difficult to take apart, it might not matter much if the internal SD card is an upgradable item.