the Display/Video/Media thread

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Has anyone succeeded or even tried to have the S7 stream videos from another computer/storage on the local network?

I have a computer in my home office which is always on, and it's my "home server" for music, videos, pictures, documents, and more.
It's running Ubuntu Server 10.10, and is accessible as an NFS (Network File System).
I have two different Popcorn Media Players who both stream videos from the media server, but I would really like to be able to use my S7 to browse through my video collection and stream an episode of a TV series.

I haven't found any apps on Market other than CifsManager which I'm struggling a bit with to get connected to my server, and if I can make it work, I'm doubtful that I can make my S7, using RockPlayer, to stream .avi's, I may have to create a local copy of the .avi first and then open it.

Any tips or experiences?

~Christopher

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have tried VLC for Android to stream from my Shared storage (Buffalo SMB Netstore. It did work. But I cannot speak to your configuration. There are a number of variables which I cannot give a authoritative answer for your config.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
Anyone tried the zagg invisible shield? how was it. Is it easy to install? How was the touch response after the install?

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
I have not installed the invisible shield on my S7. I got a 3 pack of matte antiglare screen protectors at Borders for ten bucks and cut one to size and it feels very responsive, glare is reduced and so are fingerprints.
Having said that, I did play with an S7 at Best Buy which had the Zagg on and I did not like it at all. My finger seemed to stick while moving across the screen. I do have installed Bodygardz, BSE and Zagg screen protectos on about every phone I had and it is harder to do than regular screen protectors. You have to spray a water and mild soap solution and if not careful could damage whatever equipment you are puting it on.

My .02$

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
The Speck brand is suppose to be much better. Though now that I looked Speck doesn't make a screen protector for the S7 yet.

Last edited:

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
I have not installed the invisible shield on my S7. I got a 3 pack of matte antiglare screen protectors at Borders for ten bucks and cut one to size and it feels very responsive, glare is reduced and so are fingerprints.
Having said that, I did play with an S7 at Best Buy which had the Zagg on and I did not like it at all. My finger seemed to stick while moving across the screen. I do have installed Bodygardz, BSE and Zagg screen protectos on about every phone I had and it is harder to do than regular screen protectors. You have to spray a water and mild soap solution and if not careful could damage whatever equipment you are puting it on.

My .02$

I see, i'm still not decided on purchasing the zagg invi shield because it only comes in 1 piece per package unlike others that came by 3's.. so if i failed then no more chance to try unless i buy again... i would probably try the 3 pack screen protectors that you have mentioned. Whats that brand worth $10?

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
The brand is Ex-Point. Found it at my local Borders in the ereader section.

$image0.jpg

Jokout

Nov 28, 2010
added the Zagg to my S7 when I picked it up at Best Buy last week and had the sales clerk in Phone dept. install it for free, if they screw it up it is Best Buys $$$! The Screen schield extremely clear, tuff as nails and doesn't affect sensitivity at all ! It does add a bit of reflection to the screen and a little drag also, though neither is a major issue to me. The one BIG issue was the $29.95 I paid for it...but it is LIFE TIME GUARANTEE, if you scratch it, they replace it! And, if it keeps the screen from getting scratched and dinged it is well worth it!

Cheers!

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
the skyfire browser converts flash video to a compatible format for devices w/o flash on the fly. Works well with the network sites.

TV.com is a good app. Only way you're getting NFL is if you're a DTV subscriber with the Sunday Ticket, then there's a free android app to use.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
added the Zagg to my S7 when I picked it up at Best Buy last week and had the sales clerk in Phone dept. install it for free, if they screw it up it is Best Buys $$$! The Screen schield extremely clear, tuff as nails and doesn't affect sensitivity at all ! It does add a bit of reflection to the screen and a little drag also, though neither is a major issue to me. The one BIG issue was the $29.95 I paid for it...but it is LIFE TIME GUARANTEE, if you scratch it, they replace it! And, if it keeps the screen from getting scratched and dinged it is well worth it!

Cheers!

i thought it was only $24.95.. hehe anyway, i will probably go to nearest best buy and ask if someone can also install it for me free.. if someone in BB can install it free then i can probably go for it..

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Hi there. New user here and I am having a hard time transferring movie files to my s104 tablet. I have tried mkv. files and using one of the digital copy inserts that come with blurays. And I can get the files onto the 16g card but I cannot open them or play them. I am not the most tech savvy and so I figured I would ask you guys for help. I have gleaned a bunch of info off of this site already (seems to be the only one with tablet-centric info...AVS is my normal go to site). Do I need to convert the files to something other than the types I listed? Or do I need to access or open them in a different manner? I did download Skyfire to help with online videos but am at a loss as far as what to do now.......

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Search Ebay for paint protection film and you will find the very same material in bulk sizes of about 12" x 24" for less than $20 shipped. It is very easy to cut and should yield around three pieces for the S7 screen size for almost half the price. I am considering ordering one but to use it on the back side but not decided yet because it is much harder to custom cut for the back because of the curved sides. But for the screen, should be a piece of cake since its a flat rectangle.