Welcome to the Bauhn Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I have a Bauhn android tablet, which I stupidly dropped and of course have cracked the screen. Is there any way to get it fixed or am I looking at saving for a new tablet. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Try a forum search for "cracked" w/o the quotes. Use the search box below "Log Out" at the top of any forum page.

bowyerv

Aug 7, 2012
I have a Bauhn android tablet, which I stupidly dropped and of course have cracked the screen. Is there any way to get it fixed or am I looking at saving for a new tablet. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Arg! Commiserations,

I'm afraid its going to be a new tablet for you. (Which model? I have a spare AMiD-971 selling cheaply at... PM me if you are interested.)

Do you have home contents insurance? If the excess is low it may be worth your while to contact your insurance company.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
Hi Gates,

Sorry, been away.

I rooted using this post and instructions : [ROOT] Rooting Toolkit for Xperia 2011 ICS [FW:.562]{LOCKED & UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS} - xda-developers
I used windows though.

The instructions are not specifically for our device but they work. Just ignore the error messages.

Make sure you do the preparation, ie. Turn on usb debugging, in developer settings within system settings and try set the display to remain on for a minimum of 10mins.

The file you download the is a batch file. Follow the instructions. I have done this successfully four out of four times.

Thank you, I tried this on my 972XS version, it worked well. Have to decide whether to root the other tablet, but might leave it standard for now.

It's a very standard ICS build, so there's really not much you could strip out of the OS to free up RAM and resources appreciably, so rooting these tablets is just for increased user access with some apps that have extra root functionality, or for those who want to customise more. I guess you could delete the Aldi app :p

I ended up rooting it because I had a bad app update of my Neutron Music Player. If it had been rooted then, I could have just deleted the bad app and copied the backed up previous version back in, along with it's odex, and been up and running very fast. Had to uninstall, reinstall from Google Play and set the music folder so it could cache again, still haven't fixed all my customised settings....

EDIT:
Decided to root the 917R tablet too, worked first go also :)

Last edited:

DroidD00D

Oct 10, 2012
Hey guys,

from Whirlpool:

Firmware release for AMiD-972XS
Android Version: 4.0.3
Build Number: 20121008
IMPORTANT: The below link is for AMiD-972XS units only.Please visit the following link from the browser on your AMiD-972XS tablet to obtain the Firmware update and instructions. (Links are case sensitive)AMiD-972XS Software Update
or
AMiD-972XS Software Update
Please Note
This firmware is designed solely for model number AMiD-972XS.
Please contact our Help Centre via the phone number printed on your instruction manual should you experience any issues.

On a related whirlpool thread there are details for firmware for the 971 as well. Just search.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I've updated my 972xs and also the wife's 971r

I found it best to open the link on PC so it was easy to view on screen whilst also doing it on the tablet. After restart, flash 10.4 was gone and I could not find flash 11.1 on the market so I copied it out from my phone to the PC, then into the tablet and installed it that way.

I had already updated the 971r to flash 11.1 and that was still intact after update.

BTW, TouchPal Keyboard (free) from Google Play makes things easier once set up properly because you can type into your browser a web address and hit the go button instead of searching via Google. For browsers on Android, so far, the best I have used is Opera Mini.

Here's the update for the 971r first gen tablet :p

AMID-971R Software Update

Last edited:

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I have found that the update has messed up my root and having trouble with superuser now.
I might do a system reset and start again.

EDIT:
Uninstalled everything, moved all my stuff to my external SD, unmounted and removed the card and reset the tablet to factory. I'm getting some movement in the corner of my screen so will take the tablet back and swap it over.

EDIT:
Do the update BEFORE you ROOT the tablet. I returned my 972xs with the little screen issue and updated the replacement, now rooting. The root app did get stuck at a prompt where it says that can happen and I left it a while then unplugged the USB and reconnected it, then the root completed ok.

Last edited:

gordon_s1942

Oct 18, 2012
For those who bought that Bluetooth Bauhn keyboard and found it wont work, I rang Tempo and was told it was Incompatible before I had more than a chance to say I had bought one. The Call Centre operator didnt sound happy as he said Aldi should not have released that keyboard when they did because the customers who had just purchased the new model Tablet saw it as an add on which its not.
So I bought a leopard pattern case and got a 'Capacitive Pen' and all is well.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I have a Kaiser Bass BT keyboard and it works fine, as do wireless mice, but generally you don't need them with a tablet anyway.

BTW, does anyone here post from their actual tablet? I can't select and enter any text into a reply box from my tablet. It won't work with the Android keyboard or my favoured TouchPal V5 either, so maybe something with the browser interface? I tend to use Opera Mini browser on my Android devices, it works well and seems to be quite data efficient.

It's kind of silly having to make general posts here from my PC :confused:

My tablet is fine, I use it on other forums regularly.

bowyerv

Aug 7, 2012
Hi Robbo. I can post fine from my tablet. I'm using Dolphin browser (so fast!!) and Swype Beta.

senus

Sep 22, 2012
Posting this from my tablet using Swype keyboard and Android Tablet app (forum runner). I have done the upgrade

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
Hmmm, ok, well I will have to try the built in browser, but I detest it. Dolphin was ok but Opera Mini is faster and more convenient. I find it connects on my phone when I have trouble with other apps that need the net. Sometimes it works better than Tapatalk. Some trial and error to play with.