9742 Stock and Custom ROM

HELLienadO

Aug 16, 2012
@Traveller1701 hi! What about getting cyanogemon9, AOKP or even future cm10 (jellybean) roms on our cobys? check it ou here [rom] cm9 nightlies - SlateDroid.com
If you could create a compatibility zip for it, would be wonderful, I just don't know how to do it(there are a few 3rd party ones there, made by other people), Christian does not have the time at the moment to add support to more tablets.
It installs fine, but none of those existent compatibility zips works with this tablet, none seem to get wifi working, some have the correct LCD orientation, some not even boot, and the usual inverted touch panel.
I have cm9 installed on another similar tablet, and it's smoother and has a bit of better performance :)
So, I hope you take a look and manage to do something :) thank you.

EDIT: my MID9742-8 works fine with cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1 and the modules attached.

Attachments

• $Modules - MID9742-8.zip
    154.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If someone doesn't have the time to do something, then you'll need to be patient. Asking me isn't going to help. I know just enough regarding the inner workings of Android files to be dangerous. :)

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
Alright, I backed up all my apps with app saver. I performed a complete backup in recovery, then booted into CWM to factory restore (format data, cache) , then flashed the rom and after boot.zip. booted completely 3 times to let the dalvik cache be created, restored all my apps, and all is running ok...

I see that there is a mod in there to have the volume buttons on all the time, which didnt make sense to me until I had it in my ipad case that just so happens to fit the coby as well ( no, I dont have an ipad) , and now that my buttons are covered up, I can use the on screen buttons, sweet.

My question is this, how hard would it be to also add the menu and back button to also always show up on the notification bar?? would it be a simple build.prop line to add or is it more complicated than that?

any help?

also, I just saw the original post and it looks like he brought the new rom up to ICS 4.04 along with adding S-voice and some other goodies, any chance you will be porting this new version over to the 9742, or are you going to stick with creating a CM10 build?

Thanks for your work Vampirefo!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
They may, but then again they may not. The only way to know is to actually install one of them. That is the risk you take. The less risky alternative is to root, replace the recovery image with Clockworkmod, then flash a Google apps package. In doing so you avoid driver mismatch issues which are a common occurrance with Steev's ROM.

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
Well, after testing this with everything (all apps and features you couldn't possibly throw at it) and also leaving it to the wife and toddler to mess with and give me complaints, the only real "issues" its had is a couple of kernel panics (cant that be turned off or configured so the kernel kills the process causing the kernel panic instead of rebooting?) and the biggest thing is that all video is inverted or upside down. I know some people had issues with the whole screen upside down, which I never encountered, but mine just has video upside down. It can be any kind of video, full screen, or windowed such as a movie, or a youtube video, or video from a website. Any ideas on how to fix it?

HELLienadO

Aug 16, 2012
has nobody else had the same video-only upside down issue?

Yes, I had, I know it can be fixed, but I don't know how... There was the same problem with some devices on CM9, it is talked about it here, now if someone would know how and make a compatibility zip for coby devices, it would be great =)

DieselGuy

Sep 27, 2012
Can someone PLEASE help me :)...lol...I have a Coby Kyros MID9742-8...this is what I've done: (I've only used guides from this forum)
1. Rooted.
2. Dumped firmware.
3. Installed CWM using root_restore.bat from Traveller1701(selected option#3) it did its thing..CWM installed(it was upside down)
4. I then proceeded to install 9742 Mobiz V.2.zip, now Screen does NOT work(had to use mouse to control it) and camera is missing button to change to cameras(front/back).

what should I do? I may have an older version of this tablet...since I heard there are three(3) versions...if you can tell me how to fix the issues with the camera and screen that would be great....or if someone please help me modify my original firmware dump so that I can use Google Play(Google apps etc) that would be AWESOME!

verrwirung

Nov 4, 2012
Think I will stay with this one and wait for CM10 for 9742....
btw, any chance of making the bluetooth dongle work? really like to use wireless devices...and one more thing, videos in youtube is upside down...
THANKS!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
verrwirung said:
Think I will stay with this one and wait for CM10 for 9742....
btw, any chance of making the bluetooth dongle work? really like to use wireless devices...and one more thing, videos in youtube is upside down...
THANKS!

I don't have this tablet so I won't be fixing anything. If I had the tablet I could fix the upside down problem.

As far as bluetooth I don't use it so have no interest in trying to get it to work.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I tried the Mobiz ROM when I was trying to fix my issues with not being able to download TuneIn Radio from the Play Store. I encountered the upside down video which is why I had gone back to my customized stock ROM. However, Mobiz did fix my Play Store problems so it wasn't a total waste of time to try it out.

Your best option DieselGuy is to go back to stock. You dumped the firmware so you can go back, though a nandroid backup through ClockworkMod is easier to deal with. Once you get back to stock, download my Google Earth Fix (a modified framework-res.apk file) and download my Play Store Compatibility fix, both linked in my signature. Install both of them through Clockworkmod, wipe the caches in Clockworkmod, reboot, and be patient.

The modified framework-res.apk "turns on" the network location service. You could also download one of the variants with new battery indicators that display the percentage of battery remaining. The Play Store Compatibility Fix adds some missing XML files that fix some compatibility issues for the Play Store. It also includes the build.prop from the Mobiz ROM, which was found to work perfectly. Combined, the two allow for downloading virtually any app from the Play Store.

verrwirung

Nov 4, 2012
Can someone PLEASE help me :)...lol...I have a Coby Kyros MID9742-8...this is what I've done: (I've only used guides from this forum)
1. Rooted.
2. Dumped firmware.
3. Installed CWM using root_restore.bat from Traveller1701(selected option#3) it did its thing..CWM installed(it was upside down)
4. I then proceeded to install 9742 Mobiz V.2.zip, now Screen does NOT work(had to use mouse to control it) and camera is missing button to change to cameras(front/back).

what should I do? I may have an older version of this tablet...since I heard there are three(3) versions...if you can tell me how to fix the issues with the camera and screen that would be great....or if someone please help me modify my original firmware dump so that I can use Google Play(Google apps etc) that would be AWESOME!

This happened to me before, also lots of times, whenever i try different custom ROM..
saw a post here by shini, changing the device's drivers which made it work...not sure if it would work with your device but it's worth the try...

user012211

Jan 8, 2013
sir vampirefo I REALLY REALLY need your help on this one... i Kinda bricked my girlfriend's coby kyros mid 9742 when i tried to install the google play on it. I accidentally deleted some files which I think is necessary for the UI to work because now the UI is not functioning anymore. I kinda need instruction on how I can install this stock ROM manually because I honestly don't know how to do it with or without the UI working. Please bear with me on this one. I just downloaded the stockrom you provided on your post and now i'm lost because I don't know what to do with it, im hoping this would be the solution to my problem. Thank you so much sir for your time!

user012211

Jan 8, 2013
sir vampirefo I REALLY REALLY need your help on this one... i Kinda bricked my girlfriend's coby kyros mid 9742 when i tried to install the google play on it. I accidentally deleted some files which I think is necessary for the UI to work because now the UI is not functioning anymore. I kinda need instruction on how I can install this stock ROM manually because I honestly don't know how to do it with or without the UI working. Please bear with me on this one. I just downloaded the stockrom you provided on your post and now i'm lost because I don't know what to do with it, im hoping this would be the solution to my problem. Thank you so much sir for your time!

Scracth what i just said there. I was able to install the ROM now.. (the stock rom that is) but now my touch screen does not work.. sir please help me here why did that happen?