Am I the only one who hasn't received 3.1?

ohmjohn

Jul 23, 2011
nothing here :-(
i'm located in the netherlands
bought my a500 on 27-4-11
it's a GEN3
i'm annoyed by reading that 3.2 is already there
come on Acer!

frankog

Jul 9, 2011
@powerhouselb

Not sure if this has any effect on the upgrading process, but before I upgraded
i went into Settngs and

1) forced closed all apps not related to system processes
2) turned off all automatic checks for email updates and Gmail

so that no non-system apps would be running while
i downloaded and unzipped the update.

first attempt at update failed.
i powered off and back on.
repeated the above in Settings,
ran a manual check for update,
downloaded the zip file again and everything
unpacked and installed fine.

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
Well, I wanna thank you all for your help. Some really good ideas were offered. Unfortunately, I tried them all and I continue to get the invalid update error. It hasn't even gotten to the unpacking stage.
I guess I'm down to my last option: If Acer can't help me Monday morning, I'll go to Best Buy and try to return the device. Any other fixes will be welcome, though. Thanks again.

msteve

Jul 15, 2011
I simply set the system clock forward 3 days, then left it overnite, got the update the next day....not shore if the date change helped or not but this thing is a bit on the buggy side, so who knows..

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

KevMull

May 25, 2011
managed to install after a fac reset. Wha concerns me is if i have to do a reset every time there's an update. Would be to inpractical and too much hassle re installing the apps.

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
managed to install after a fac reset. Wha concerns me is if i have to do a reset every time there's an update. Would be to inpractical and too much hassle re installing the apps.

That was my concern as well. I considered a factory reset, too. But that's no good if the update doesn't fix the issue.
I will say this, when ever the download is done and it starts to unzip, the tablet goes into airplane mode. What's that about? Any way, this is looking more and more like a very bad investment. I wouldn't be surprised if a class action suit was filed against Acer. Still, there has got to be some way to fix this. I think I'll go ahead and try the factory reset trick one more time. This time, without adding my google account. Let's see what happens...

Well, I downloaded the update after a factory reset and tried to install. The update started to unzipp and then displayed the invalid update error message. So, I added my google account to the tablet, cleared the System Update data, and restarted the tablet. I downloaded the update and tried to install when prompted. It unzipped the update, restarted, and got through 25% of unpacking the package before failing and booting up and displaying "the update failed" error message.

That's pretty much the last straw. I will try my best to move hell and high water and return the tablet to Best Buy. I may give Acer a courtesy call and let them know I want nothing more to do with them (or maybe not). Either way. I'm fed up with this stupid tablet. so sad.

Last edited:

gormcc1967

Jul 25, 2011
Just going through the same here in the UK, the 1st line support at acer dont care and as far as they are concerned the product is working (lol), i did point out that it's not as it's not updating but just got the line that all computers are different yada yada stuff. well this is a OS update numb nuts and should not even bother about it's intalled apps, but all fell on def ears, as i have said on another thread going to give this to my 8 year old so they can use it and save the £/$ for a ipad2 for me and my work. i've used Acers even advise friends to buy Acers but not anymore, i'm joining the Jobs revolution.

koorpen

Jun 12, 2011
Anyone with a EMEA_GEN3 tablet who have received the update? Just a thought that we
are last in line. (History of my life :)

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Just going through the same here in the UK, the 1st line support at acer dont care and as far as they are concerned the product is working (lol), i did point out that it's not as it's not updating but just got the line that all computers are different yada yada stuff. well this is a OS update numb nuts and should not even bother about it's intalled apps, but all fell on def ears, as i have said on another thread going to give this to my 8 year old so they can use it and save the £/$ for a ipad2 for me and my work. i've used Acers even advise friends to buy Acers but not anymore, i'm joining the Jobs revolution.

Agree totally. Acer "everything that runs on this tablet is not made by us, so why should we care" Customer Care is the worst I have ever encountered in any way shape or form. However if you ring their 50p a minute line, they will help. I wish I had the funds to take them on in court.

The worst buy I have ever made, by a very long way. And that includes a Betamax VCR!

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
I feel you on that one. I'm at my limit with this thing. I did discover, however, that the install failure has something to do with a patch update check with Need For Speed (/system/app/MFS.apk). No idea what that means. Oh well. Hopefully someone out there knows something.

koorpen

Jun 12, 2011
. Spoke to swedish support today, tuesday, and I was told that the nordic version was released this very day. Even if I haven't got it yet :). Just wait and see........ What else to do?

naudii

Jul 27, 2011
I got my tab 2 months ago and still no update....when I try to it says my network connections weak even tho my wifi signal is ''excellent''

gormcc1967

Jul 25, 2011
Got a call back from second line support 2day, informed them that i had done a full reset and that the update had applied. Interesting bit was I was informed that it is the inclustion of 2media files on the update that is causing the problems with cache over run. He also informed me that another update without the files will be released in the next few weeks.
So hang in there folks

s971001

Jul 21, 2011
. Spoke to swedish support today, tuesday, and I was told that the nordic version was released this very day. Even if I haven't got it yet :). Just wait and see........ What else to do?

Still no update on my A500 here in Norway. :(