(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP,I didn't do it again because I depend on my friend who let me use her pc...not easy to find the right time to meet so far this week! But i'm waiting with "bated breath".....I just learn this bated breath think from a new nook owner and I like it!
Gg
Gg...

Sent from my sdk using Androif Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

mntw

Jun 23, 2011
Hi, JP:
I just received my nook color and followed your instruction on creating CM7 bootable SD card for it. Everything went great then I tried to go further with OC kernel. No matter which version of the Dalingrin kernel's uImage I use, as soon as I replaced my original uImage with OC one and reboot my device, I lost my wifi. I went into Setup and it's showing "wifi error". I'm using CM7 102 nightly and have tried three of the latest OC kernels. All have the same wifi issue. Can you please help me out on that? Thank you very much!

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
I have to be stoopid... i just downloaded generic-sdcard-v1.2.1.img, update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed zip file,
gapps-gb-20110307-signed zip file and unzipped with 7-zip to respective directories. i use win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27-binary(in administrator mode and moved imagefile to pc root) and wrote generic sd image to 8 g sandisk card. I copy apps files to root of sd card then when i try to copy update-cm i get out of space error.

I am using win vista home premium sp2

Am I missing something??

Resized partition and was able to get files on. Now I put sdc in the Nook color and boot, the screen shows Cyanogen (mod) image, with "loading..." under it. After 16 seconds screen goes dark blue, then a few seconds later a flash, and screen stays dark blue until hard power off.

***************************************UPDATE**********************************

1. Got the generic-sdcard-v1.2.1.img and 7-unzipped to its own directory

2. Ran win32image program, and did a write of the image file to the sdcard

3. downloaded
update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed zip file, gapps-gb-20110307-signed zip file and WITHOUT Unzipping them (LEAVE THEM ZIPPED) I copied them to the sd card

4. Put card in the nook color and it worked
flawlessly

Now I am about to create a partition on the rest of the sdcard to hold junk.

will explore all programs. So far only sound is dissapointing, sounds like my Eken m001.

Thanks the wonderful work creating these files. I will play around with them.
Jimmy

Last edited:

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
OK new question. How do I increase disk size. I am including a photo of my partition. It contains two 4th's?

Thanks.
Jimmy $sdpart.jpg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi, JP:
I just received my nook color and followed your instruction on creating CM7 bootable SD card for it. Everything went great then I tried to go further with OC kernel. No matter which version of the Dalingrin kernel's uImage I use, as soon as I replaced my original uImage with OC one and reboot my device, I lost my wifi. I went into Setup and it's showing "wifi error". I'm using CM7 102 nightly and have tried three of the latest OC kernels. All have the same wifi issue. Can you please help me out on that? Thank you very much!

The nightlies are know to have less reliable wifi than the stable version. Just one of the joys of running nightlies and different kernels :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Jimmy, it sounds like you got yourself straightend out. Yes, you unzip the image file so you can burn it to the SD card but you do not unzip the other files.

Regarding your repartitioning, just let the size agnostic script work its magic. What you end up with is an SD card with 4 main partitions 1) 115MB Boot (this is what is seen when you put the disk in after booting to eMMC), 2) 460MB for system, 3) 975MB for data (your "internal memory") and 4) the ramiander of the space for your "SD card" when booted into the SD ROM.

To have more usable space when inserting the SD card after an eMMC boot up, shrink the "SD card" partition and enlarge the Boot partition (both of these are the FAT32 partitions in your screen shot).

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

2 questions

1-emmc=nook color internal memory? how do i boot to it?

2-i shrunk sdcard partition and have 2 gig unallocated but now i cannot enlarge boot partition, it says no unallocated space. am i doing something wrong/.

Best,
Jimmy

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1. emmc is Nook internal memory. To boot to it you just remove the bootable SD card while the nook is turned off then power on and boot as normal. Your Nook will boot into what ever configuration you have it setup for, stock, rooted or custom ROM.

2. Not sure about that. Maybe your partitioning tool needs the disk spcae to be sequentially allocated so that even though you have free space it can't add that to the boot partition if there is something else backing up to that partition. That is just a guess. You might want to check out the help section of your partitioning program.

Ghinao

Jul 4, 2011
So...I wrote the appropriate file to SD card, copied the 2 Zipped files over, inserted the SD into the Nook color, booted, it installed and powered down automatically. I powered back on, and I've been on the CM7 boot screen "loading" for 5+ min. How long is it supposed to take to bring up the selection for the Setup Wizard? Thanks.
- Ghinao

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It does take a few minutes to boot but not too much longer than 5 at most. It doesn't actually power down after it is done installing the screen just goes blank. You need to hold the poer button down for about 10 seconds to turn it off then let go and press for a few more seconds until it boots up. It sounds like you did get it to boot though. If it is not getting past the boot screen. Hold the power button for 10 seconds until it turns off. Then wait two seconds and press the power button for a few seconds until it turns on again and hopefully boots up.

Ghinao

Jul 4, 2011
It does take a few minutes to boot but not too much longer than 5 at most. It doesn't actually power down after it is done installing the screen just goes blank. You need to hold the poer button down for about 10 seconds to turn it off then let go and press for a few more seconds until it boots up. It sounds like you did get it to boot though. If it is not getting past the boot screen. Hold the power button for 10 seconds until it turns off. Then wait two seconds and press the power button for a few seconds until it turns on again and hopefully boots up.

Hmm...no, it def. powered down. The screen went black after the install, so I pressed the button to power down, and it powered on instead. I have now been waiting at the "boot" screen for 12 minutes; so, something must have gone weird in the install. I'll wipe the SD card, and try again, see if I get a different result this time.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Ghinao, I had that problem. Use sd formatter to get your card back to normal state. End User License Agreement - SD Association

use full format not quick.

Also use 7-zip as it will unarchive files without any garbage writes like winrar, etc.

Put your generic image card in the root directory of your pc after you unzip. then use the win32imagewriter to write the image to your card.

Then copy your "update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip" and "gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip" files just as they are to the card.

Put the card in the nook and boot. It will say loading then android then linix will pop up and load, when it is done it will go black. that is when you reboot.

This worked for me a few times now.

Best!
Jimmy

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Jimmy, it sounds like you got yourself straightend out. Yes, you unzip the image file so you can burn it to the SD card but you do not unzip the other files.

Regarding your repartitioning, just let the size agnostic script work its magic. What you end up with is an SD card with 4 main partitions 1) 115MB Boot (this is what is seen when you put the disk in after booting to eMMC), 2) 460MB for system, 3) 975MB for data (your "internal memory") and 4) the ramiander of the space for your "SD card" when booted into the SD ROM.

To have more usable space when inserting the SD card after an eMMC boot up, shrink the "SD card" partition and enlarge the Boot partition (both of these are the FAT32 partitions in your screen shot).

OH! So if I load files through dropbox, or from marketplace, the nook will automatically use the remaining 3-7 or 13 gig, depending on the card I use.

Jimmy

Ghinao

Jul 4, 2011
Ghinao, I had that problem. Use sd formatter to get your card back to normal state. End User License Agreement - SD Association

use full format not quick.

Also use 7-zip as it will unarchive files without any garbage writes like winrar, etc.

Put your generic image card in the root directory of your pc after you unzip. then use the win32imagewriter to write the image to your card.

Then copy your "update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip" and "gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip" files just as they are to the card.

Put the card in the nook and boot. It will say loading then android then linix will pop up and load, when it is done it will go black. that is when you reboot.

This worked for me a few times now.

Best!
Jimmy

Thanks for the advice Jimmy, but you're going to have to explain the Root directory a little more. I can unzip files and write them to an SD card, but root directories and such are a little beyond me. Why does it matter where the image is when I write it to the SD card? Btw, I did wipe the card and try again...now it sticks on the sky blue android lettering instead of the boot screen :rolleyes:

Also, when I'm installing, I keep getting a couple dozen of these errors each when I try to install:

lost page write due to I/0 error on mmcblk1
EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk1p2)...

I've even tried the method here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957
where you don't add the gapp file until after the initial install. But the install went bonkers and spat input/output errors at me for 5 minutes before I ran a manual shutdown. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've followed the directions both here and on the site mentioned above to a T and neither has worked (though at least the directions here got me to the boot screen). I know it's do-able, and it's apparently worked for others, so what am I missing?

Last edited: