(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Jawz it is there just use drop box to transfer a file then use esfile explorer and you can see it.

But it is there.

jawz13

Jul 6, 2011
When I open Dropbox I get the following message, "Your device has no SD card, or you have your phone connected to your computer, so Dropbox won't work properly." Also, when I try to install apps from the Market I get the following error message, "Application cannot be installed in the default install location.

ES File Explorer says, "SD Card unmounted or not present".

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try going into Settings and see if there is an option to mount the "SD card".

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am still having the same issues with the SD card. I re-imaged the card to make sure I did not skip a step. I was using the size agnostic method. The only thing I can't get to work is running WinImage as an administrator. I only have one profile on my PC, so I do not have a password set up to run as an Admin. I am running the program as Current User (HOME-3F0332C0A/Jason). The NC dos boot up properly, and I can get on the Android Market. The only issue I am having is getting the NC to recognize the extra space on the SD as an SD when I try to mount it. When I view the SD with compmgmt.msc I do see 4 partitions; a boot (G: ) 118MB FAT32 Healthy (Active), a 436MB Healthy (Unknown Partition), a 965MBHealthy (Unknown Partition) and a 29.74GB Healthy.

I know that I am probably missing something small due to my inexperience. Please help me out.

The 4 partitions are correct.

1. 118MB FAT32 is the Boot Partition
2. 436MB (Unknown) is the System Partition
3. 965MB (Unknown) is the "Internal Memory"
4. 29.74GB FAT32? (you don't specify but it should be FAT32) is the "SD Card"

That should be mounted automatically when you insert the card and boot up or reboot. If this is not FAT32 and you can't get it to mount you may have a bad download of the script that isn't writing this part of the card correctly.

jawz13

Jul 6, 2011
I just checked and the fourth partition does not specify that it is FAT32. I think that is my problem; however, I have been using the generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz and 7.0.3-encore-signed.zip file from the link on the first page of this thread. I have also tried the most recent nightly files and I have the same problems. Could it be the method I am using to create the initial image? I have tried "Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive..." with generic image on the root of C: and also with it in another folder on my desktop. I have always gotten the same bad results.

Thanks for your continued assistance with this issue. I can't wait to get this issue resolve so I can start using my NC the way I really want to.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can try a partition tool to format the 4th partition as FAT32 then the nook should detect it and see it as the SD card.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
I used win32image and write the image file that I placed in he root directory. You right click on the executable and then go to compatibility and select "run as administrator"

But if you rewrite I would strongly suggest using the sd formatter program and do a full format on the card first.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Strange everything was working good and I lost my wif fi. No Airplane mode everything looks good I think yet i can not get a read on wif Boot to nook and wifi comes back.????

I usb'd in with AA.APK and greyed out airplane mode. I still can not see wifi.

Any ideas?

Do you see the wifi but can't connect or does can you not even see the available wifi? Sometimes if you can see the wifi but not connect you need to go into Settings and forget the network, then manually connect and add your password again. If that still doen't allow you to connect you may need to reset the modem and router.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
No it is like the wi-fi is turned off. I used Android assistant and greyed out airport settings. Tried all I could think of.
Jimmy

Forgot networks rebooted and it sees them again. Did this before but it works now.

Strange.

jimmy

Last edited:

wdoerschuck

Jul 14, 2011
I'm fine up to step 10 (I assume the "install" has the Linux Penguin which I see). When I power up though I see "Loading" and that's it, it doesn't move on from there (I've waited up to 30 minutes). I've re-formated and re-done the entire process 3 times with the same result. I am using a Sandisk 4gb class 4 card. Any suggestions, did I miss something? I have successfully booted to Honeycomb from SD but can't seem to get CM7 to work.
Thanks,

Ward

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm fine up to step 10 (I assume the "install" has the Linux Penguin which I see). When I power up though I see "Loading" and that's it, it doesn't move on from there (I've waited up to 30 minutes). I've re-formated and re-done the entire process 3 times with the same result. I am using a Sandisk 4gb class 4 card. Any suggestions, did I miss something? I have successfully booted to Honeycomb from SD but can't seem to get CM7 to work.
Thanks,

Ward

Hi Ward, 1) are you sure you have a good download of each of the files and 2) are you waiting for the screen to go blank before powering down?

wdoerschuck

Jul 14, 2011
1. I haven't done a check sum but everything seems to "inflate" (both CM7 and google apps) without issue, no warnings or errors that I see. I never actually see the installer say it is finished and it is safe to shut down, but the process completes and the screen goes blank. 2. Yes I do.
What should I try next?
Thanks,

Ward

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Right after it says to reboot, the screen goes blank untill you hold the button for reboot, then it will take a bit but it should load once rebooted.

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
I have been able to use 2 different size ScanDisk cards with good success. I even dared to try another class 4 card and it holds true to the threads of ScanDisk cards are the magic touch.

I know I am jumping into the thread late here but the only issue that I seem to have found is that the Bluetooth is not turning on. In my trials I believe I might have had it one once before I settled on the 8gb card. I am really happy otherwise with the build (i.e. response, apps, etc). the Bluetooth is not a showstopper but if someone might lend some assistance on where to lo

Last edited:

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
So far everything appears to be fine, following the instructions. However, I then tried to add my corporate email account, but it is failing after typing in my email address and password (confirmed both numerous times to ensure there are no typos). Anyone, get the corporate email setup to work? I have it setup on my rooted stock ROM emmc install but recall that I had to set it up manually (i.e. typing in the server name for outlook web access, etc). However, with CM7 it isn't giving me the option to set it up manually.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks.