(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Root is the base of a file system. so in the case of a PC it is C:\

It is used like a plant...C:\ is the stalk and directories = branches and files = leaves

Anyway, make sure that you did a proper wipe of your card first with sd formatter, then right click on it and select tools and do a check of the cards file system.

Do the above or your card will not take the image properly.

Then make sure you do each step in order. The apps file will work just fine just do NOT unzip the two files you put on the card!!!

Now use this generic file because I did have a problem with the other one loading also so I used this one

http://myraroldan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/generic-sdcard-v1.2.1.img_1.gz

use 7-zip and unzip this to it's own directory, then right click on the image file then paste it in explorer to the root directory

To do that I will assume you know how to right click on start and select explorer.

Navigate to directory that you unzipped file to, right click on it and select COPY

Then go to left pane navigawe up to C:\ and highlight it then right click on it and paste.
Now close the window and open winimage and then browse to C;\ on left then on right go all the way to bottom and you should find
the generic-sdcard.img file, then click write

once done close win32image

Now copy gapps and update zip files. use the stable one for Nook. eject card and place in nook color then boot.

Hope that helps
Jimmy

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
OH! So if I load files through dropbox, or from marketplace, the nook will automatically use the remaining 3-7 or 13 gig, depending on the card I use.

Jimmy

That is correct. When using the size agnostic bootable SD any extra space is allocated to the virtual SD card, so your SD card ROM sees what ever space is left as the virtual SD. The bigger the actual SD you use the more virtual SD card space you will have for the ROM to see. Then you can use dropbox or samaba to move files back and forth to the PC.

JP

Ghinao

Jul 4, 2011
Root is the base of a file system. so in the case of a PC it is C:\

It is used like a plant...C:\ is the stalk and directories = branches and files = leaves

Anyway, make sure that you did a proper wipe of your card first with sd formatter, then right click on it and select tools and do a check of the cards file system.

Do the above or your card will not take the image properly.

Then make sure you do each step in order. The apps file will work just fine just do NOT unzip the two files you put on the card!!!

Now use this generic file because I did have a problem with the other one loading also so I used this one

http://myraroldan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/generic-sdcard-v1.2.1.img_1.gz

use 7-zip and unzip this to it's own directory, then right click on the image file then paste it in explorer to the root directory

To do that I will assume you know how to right click on start and select explorer.

Navigate to directory that you unzipped file to, right click on it and select COPY

Then go to left pane navigawe up to C:\ and highlight it then right click on it and paste.
Now close the window and open winimage and then browse to C;\ on left then on right go all the way to bottom and you should find
the generic-sdcard.img file, then click write

once done close win32image

Now copy gapps and update zip files. use the stable one for Nook. eject card and place in nook color then boot.

Hope that helps
Jimmy

Thanks for the explanation, I know a little about C:\, I just didn't know it was the "root" directory. As for wiping the card, I've been using the Windows XP formater, as well as actually formatting it with the Nook. I am using a Scan Disk 4GB Class 4 Micro SD. I know that is not optimal, but I want to make sure I can get it to work before dropping $30-40 on a quality card. Everything I have seen suggests that the card I have should work, even if it is slow.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the explanation, I know a little about C:\, I just didn't know it was the "root" directory. As for wiping the card, I've been using the Windows XP formater, as well as actually formatting it with the Nook. I am using a Scan Disk 4GB Class 4 Micro SD. I know that is not optimal, but I want to make sure I can get it to work before dropping $30-40 on a quality card. Everything I have seen suggests that the card I have should work, even if it is slow.

If you have stock or rooted B&N running on your internal memory the built in formatting should work just fine. The windows XP, not so much. The SanDisk you are using is probably about as good as you can get for your Nook as generally speaking San Disk class 4 or class 6 have been known to run bootable ROMs the best on the Nook.

So boot your nook without the SD card. Once booted to B&N or rootted insert your card. Then go into settings, find the SD card and unmount it. Next format the card. This should restore the card completely.

Make sure you have a good download of the files (check the md5 for each). The md5 is a way of making sure the download is not corrupted. While you usually get a good download it is not unheard of to get bad ones. That is why the check is provided. Then follow Jimmy's instructions or the instructions in the first post.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
That is correct. When using the size agnostic bootable SD any extra space is allocated to the virtual SD card, so your SD card ROM sees what ever space is left as the virtual SD. The bigger the actual SD you use the more virtual SD card space you will have for the ROM to see. Then you can use dropbox or samaba to move files back and forth to the PC.

JP

Thanks JP! But is is not virtual memory, it is actual space on the card so the next boot it is still there, correct?

Jimmy

jawz13

Jul 6, 2011
No need to partition the "Size Agnostic" CM7 SD rom will leave the rest of the SD available for storage.
When I attempt to mount the SD card booted from I get an error message stating "SD card blank or has unsupported file system". Blow can I utiilize the rest of my 32GB card for storage. The only storage recognized is the 5GB internal memory.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks JP! But is is not virtual memory, it is actual space on the card so the next boot it is still there, correct?

Jimmy

Yes, sorry for being unclear. When I said virtual I did not mean virtual in the sense that a PC has virtual memory. It is an actual partition that is ceated on the card and is there at the next boot, if you instert it into a PC card reader or even if you insert it into a nook booted into the stock or rooted B&N OS, it will still be there.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
When I attempt to mount the SD card booted from I get an error message stating "SD card blank or has unsupported file system". Blow can I utiilize the rest of my 32GB card for storage. The only storage recognized is the 5GB internal memory.

This all depends on how you are trying to use the card. If you have created a bootable SD card using the size agnostic method as instructed in the first post any additional space is partitioned for the bootable OS to use as a SD card. So if you boot into the OS on the card the OS will see an "internal memory" space of 975MB and the rest of the space on your SD card as a "SD card".

Because this card is now formatted and partitioned to be a bootable SD card the PC and incompatible devices will no longer read the card as a blank SD data card. If you have specialized software such as a partition manager on your PC you may still be able to access the card but Windows itsellf will not. If you want to transfer files or data to the card, you can boot into it as normal and then connect via usb, dropbox or samba to move files to and from the card.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010

I use the sdformatter before writing image and had no problem.

jimmy

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I want to explain here what I did to fix all the problems I had with my bootable CM7 card, it might help somebody else.
After I downloaded all the stuff following Jp directions at the beginning of this thread and I I booted into the card,first card, I couldn't install any apps, so I prepared a new one and at first it seemed fine but all of the sudden , if I tried to open an app, I would get the - force close- box.
Before making another card ,I decided to try finding a fix. I followed the instructions in one of Spider's posts:
Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - tap All, right on top of page and scroll down to GoogLe Service Framework, click on that and then click on - clear data -force close. After that I rebooted and I don't remember if it fixed any of my problems but if it did it didn't fix everything because I kept looking around. I found something that made sense to me I clicked on it and after that my card is perfect. This is whatI did:
ROM Manager-click on Fix Permissions and follow instructions, don't forget to reboot.
Then yesterday, having a little time,I put my first defective card in the nook , nothing ever worked on that one...... impossible to install and the apps that I already had, didn't open or they would stay open for a minute and then I had to click -force close.-
Once this card was on the nook I did both fixes I told you about right above, one after the other one and after I rebooted, everything was working. The only problem left is that the Dolphin Hd browser is slow,I tried to install it again, same thing and dolphin mini is slow as well.
The only browser that fixes the problem is opera but for some reason the keyboard doesn't pop uup if I want to post on the forum , I didn't try the mail yet.
Hope it helps and if you don't understand my English, ask J P, it has been exposed to it for the longest, he is going to be able to translate!
Gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Strange everything was working good and I lost my wif fi. No Airplane mode everything looks good I think yet i can not get a read on wif Boot to nook and wifi comes back.????

I usb'd in with AA.APK and greyed out airplane mode. I still can not see wifi.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I don't understand what you mean..... when you go to applications - wifi, you don't see any access points or you don't see the wifi icon on your screen?
Gg

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Hi, No access points, no repeaters and manual registration of access points don't work either.

I turned of Airport and Nothing.

In Nook it works fine.

I have stable build with dual boot. Worked fine, just started happening.

jawz13

Jul 6, 2011
This all depends on how you are trying to use the card. If you have created a bootable SD card using the size agnostic method as instructed in the first post any additional space is partitioned for the bootable OS to use as a SD card. So if you boot into the OS on the card the OS will see an "internal memory" space of 975MB and the rest of the space on your SD card as a "SD card".

Because this card is now formatted and partitioned to be a bootable SD card the PC and incompatible devices will no longer read the card as a blank SD data card. If you have specialized software such as a partition manager on your PC you may still be able to access the card but Windows itsellf will not. If you want to transfer files or data to the card, you can boot into it as normal and then connect via usb, dropbox or samba to move files to and from the card.

I am still having the same issues with the SD card. I re-imaged the card to make sure I did not skip a step. I was using the size agnostic method. The only thing I can't get to work is running WinImage as an administrator. I only have one profile on my PC, so I do not have a password set up to run as an Admin. I am running the program as Current User (HOME-3F0332C0A/Jason). The NC dos boot up properly, and I can get on the Android Market. The only issue I am having is getting the NC to recognize the extra space on the SD as an SD when I try to mount it. When I view the SD with compmgmt.msc I do see 4 partitions; a boot (G: ) 118MB FAT32 Healthy (Active), a 436MB Healthy (Unknown Partition), a 965MBHealthy (Unknown Partition) and a 29.74GB Healthy.

I know that I am probably missing something small due to my inexperience. Please help me out.

Last edited: