(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
That should work fine :) Just note that if you follow the instructions in the first post you will have to use a partition manager to increase the size of the boot partition to about 150MB or only flash the CM7 and then come back and flash the Gapps according to the source link in the first post.

JP
okay I think I did it:) THANK YOU
now before I take the card out of my computer do I need to do the partition manager?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
okay I think I did it:) THANK YOU
now before I take the card out of my computer do I need to do the partition manager?

Ok, here is where it get's interesting. There are two methods to finish up (neither of which have I explored thoroughly to write instructions).

1. The original source method which is linked in the first post. Put the CM7 zip file (do not unzip) on the image card you just created. To do this right click on the CM7 zip file and select copy. Then go to My Computer right click on the SD card (don't go into it, just from where you can see all your drives) and select paste. Power the Nook down, insert the card and power up. It should run the script and do a bunch of stuff. At the end hold the power button for for 2-3 seconds if it powers up you can let go. If not keep holding the button for about 15 seconds then let go and press it again for 2-3 seconds so it powers on. You should now be in CM7 without Google Apps. If you make it this far stop and check in (you might be able to follow some of the initial setup steps in the first post).

2. Download a partition manager (EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com). Open the partition manager and find your SD card. Drag the boot partition slightly larger to about 150MB. Then on the left side of the program choose execute or apply or what ever the option is. Put both the CM7 zip file and Gapps zip file (do not unzip either) on the SD card. To do this select both the CM7 and Gapps zip files (hold Ctrl and click each) and then right click on one of them and select copy. Then go to My Computer right click on the SD card (don't go into it, just from where you can see all your drives) and select paste. Power the Nook down, insert the card and power up. It should run the script and do a bunch of stuff. At the end hold the power button for for 2-3 seconds if it powers up you can let go. If not keep holding the button for about 15 seconds then let go and press it again for 2-3 seconds so it powers on. You should now be in CM7 with Google Apps and can continue following the steps in the first post.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I followed everything and have learned a lot, but when I powered up the nook, it is still a nook color by barnes and nobles:(
It is late so I will try again in the morning.
Thank you for all of you wonderful help

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
so yeah I am still trying, but should go to bed.
I was trying option 2 with no problems, I even had scripts running it stopped I held the power button for 3 seconds and suddenly n was floating across the screen and it opened as a nook color. Doh
So I reformated the disk and started over, but trying to burn generic I keep getting write error 8?

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I followed part one again after reformatting the sd card again and omg I have it working.
I could just kiss you right now. Thank you so much.
I am going to see what I can do to download the google apps now.

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
Good news bad news. I was able to use the root without any problem. Booted right up. I only installed 2 angry bird games, the boxing game, Xfinity, HBOgo. I attempted to transfer files from my PC to my rooted nook via USB using these instructions:

"After you connect the NC to the computer via the USB cable, the computer won't really recognize anything. Or, the computer might show a couple of removable disks, a SD, and maybe a memory stick.

Anyhow, after you plug in the USB cable, go back to your CM7 screen, open up the "notification bar".

There'll be a message saying something like "connected by USB".

Click that notification.

Then, you'll see a different screen with that green android guy with "USB connected".

Click "Turn on USB storage" button on the bottom of the screen.

Click "OK".

After a few seconds, on your computer, you'll see a "Removable Disk" with a total disk size of 13Gb, and "MyNOOKcolor" showing about 5Gb total (for mine, at least)."

I did this, and on nook I get "usb debugging connected" and " usb connected". the computer screen I get two removable discs. The "my nook color" file has a capacity of 1.0 gb. The other file, which says "removable disk" says it has 0.0 memory and the computer asks me if I want to format it whenever I attempt to put the files into it.

Checking the storage settings on the nook itself, it says total space is 1.79gb for the SD card. Internal I have 448mb available, then an "additional storage: mnt/emmc. This has 1.00 gb total space and 1.00 gb available space.

I was able to find a file manager app to put aps onto the sd card directly. This is a 16 gb card and the apps installed don't even equal 1 gb. Any suggestions? I'm still tying to download my music files off of my laptop and onto my tablet.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Craptastic, I no longer have it running. Grrrr
anyone on here sell them? If so feel free to pm me cuz I just am frustrated beyond belief. I think it might even be my card at this point since it will run it then next time I turn it on it won't.

Last edited:

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Wahoo I am at the market now. Wow I am sooooo thankful for all your help, you dumbed it down wonderfully for me to understand.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wahoo I am at the market now. Wow I am sooooo thankful for all your help, you dumbed it down wonderfully for me to understand.

I love when people are able to figure it out. Good job sticking with it until you got it. Sorry I had to step away for a while during the process. I'm sure all you wanted to do was get you new Nook up and running!

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I love when people are able to figure it out. Good job sticking with it until you got it. Sorry I had to step away for a while during the process. I'm sure all you wanted to do was get you new Nook up and running!
Hahah the process took 2 days of course you had to step away to live your life. I appreciate all of your help.
I think I will be getting 2 more Nook colors for my boys' birthdays in Feb and March and now I can watch for a sale on sd cards cuz I can do it myself. They hogged mine playing angry birds last night.

Thanks so much.

tonyman

Dec 27, 2011
hello this is my first time cracking a nook color when i write the file generic-sdcard-v1.3 img to the 32gb class 4 PNY micro sdhc card i makes a fat32 117 mb partition and places generic-sdcard-v1.3 in that slot i tried cracking hte nook and added the other 2 files with enough room to spare. but when it goes though the crack it says theres not enough room on the sd card and stops how can i create more room?

mikedeson

Dec 27, 2011
Followed the instructions using a 4GB 4 Class SanDisk MicroSD Card on my Nook Color with 1.3 firmware and keep getting the CM7 Boot Screen on loop....
Help please?!!

Obelisk429

Dec 29, 2011
First let me preface this by saying I've never used any type of android thing before ever.

After running what looks like some kind of linux setup, my NC shuts itself off, instead of prompting me and telling me that it's okay. After this, it refuses to boot with the SD card inserted into the slot. The screen doesn't even flicker. Could this have to do with me having the updated nook color software?