(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

skwaaone

Jan 27, 2012
My nook color is running the 1.3.0 OS I've did everything on the guide and this is not working for me. is there any other way to root it? Or is there any other file I should download to root my nook?

Jan 29, 2012
I followed the instructions, got as far as 10, and when I powered the Nook back on, it just booted right into Nook. Didn't get the CM7 boot screen. My device is running v.1.4.1 of the Nook OS. Any thoughts?

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I know that the 1.4.1 os wont let you side load anything what i did was that I had to go back to a 1.4.0 to be able to side load here is the website i used to go back to a 1.4.0 on one of my nooks. [Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard - xda-developers
I just need to figure out how to make one of my nooks go from a 1.3.0 to a 1.4.0 or a 1.2.1.

The last poster is talking about using CM7. 1.4.1 has no effect on CM7. You can still boot from a card.

sheepshagger

Feb 3, 2012
I followed the instructions, got as far as 10, and when I powered the Nook back on, it just booted right into Nook. Didn't get the CM7 boot screen. My device is running v.1.4.1 of the Nook OS. Any thoughts?

I had exactly the same problem, and found it was down to installing CM7 and Gapp at the same time, it's like the SD is not bootable once you do this.
I'm sure this will be fixed soon with a different build, but to get over it, I installed CM7 and gapps separately, and all worked fine.

So for me, I followed the instructions on the first page 1 to 10, but only copy the CM7 zip file NOT the gapp zip to the SD card.
Once running CM7, make sure you setup WiFi, this is very important otherwise the next step will fail and get caught in an install loop.

Power off, install the SD card in your PC again and copy the gapp zip file to the root directory.
Now power up the Nook in "recovery mode". Probably best to google this procedure, but it's press and hold the N button and power button until device starts to boot. Once booted into a boot option screen, select recovery mode on SD card, and you will see the install app running again, as you did in step 7. This installs gapps. Once it finishes, continue onto step 10 on the first page.
If it get's stuck in an enter language loop then WiFi is messed up.

a2z123

Feb 4, 2012
I just want to give a big shout out to J515OP for all the info. Admittedly it took me a week to successfully accomplish it, but I'm now running CM7 on my Nook Color. The first couple of times I tried it, I only booted into stock Nook....third time was a charm, and I think it was because I wasn't using WinImager correctly (not as admin)...now to learn all about Android and figure out how to accomplish dual booting...I've heard it can be done...

Karibes

Feb 5, 2012
hello,

Ii have now sd with only 115MB max size instead 8GB. Need a advice how to increase size to max as previously. I have 8 mSD Kingston and with it it runs very smoothly. And CM7 is damn nice, because CM7 makes it more better Android Tablet than before, so high speed... etc. And another problem, somehow battery life is decreasing pretty a lot, even I closed any applications, but it seems it doesn't help.

I had exactly the same problem, and found it was down to installing CM7 and Gapp at the same time, it's like the SD is not bootable once you do this.
I'm sure this will be fixed soon with a different build, but to get over it, I installed CM7 and gapps separately, and all worked fine.

So for me, I followed the instructions on the first page 1 to 10, but only copy the CM7 zip file NOT the gapp zip to the SD card.
Once running CM7, make sure you setup WiFi, this is very important otherwise the next step will fail and get caught in an install loop.

Power off, install the SD card in your PC again and copy the gapp zip file to the root directory.
Now power up the Nook in "recovery mode". Probably best to google this procedure, but it's press and hold the N button and power button until device starts to boot. Once booted into a boot option screen, select recovery mode on SD card, and you will see the install app running again, as you did in step 7. This installs gapps. Once it finishes, continue onto step 10 on the first page.
If it get's stuck in an enter language loop then WiFi is messed up.

And with your post it helped me a lot, cause I had same problem like you. Thanks again for tip

So I have one problem.... After plug in to re-charge battery, touch screen is somewhat different, like unrensposive or going crazy just going to anywhere. But when I plug it to computer, it behaves good.

Btw, how to wipe battery stats and recalibrate with it again?

Thanks for CM7 development and let's meet again :D

Last edited:

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
i saw on eaby somebody selling cm7 cards if i get my nook color should i buy from him he is good feed back
this will save me a lot of time lol its got ics and ginger bread on the card

sparrowlord01

Feb 27, 2012
Hi folks. I need a bit of help here. I just got an 8GB Nook Color and I wanted to boot CM7 from an MicroSD card to avoid having issues with the existing OS. I used the procedure outlined in the first message of this thread, but aftr using the disk image writer, the 16GB Class 10 Samsung MicroSD card I got only had 117MB of space in the primary partition. Whats more, Disk management would not let me delete the partition, or partition the unallocated space. I eventually found an SDformat program which did get all 16GB accessible again, but again, when I tried again, the same thing happened. I really don't want to just buy a pre-rooted card, they are just too expensive so I really want to do this myself. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on my systems here. Oh and I tried it on different systems on my home lan, but the results were the same. I hope someone has a fix for this. I eagerly await a response and thanks in advance.

Rich

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
i saw on eaby somebody selling cm7 cards if i get my nook color should i buy from him he is good feed back
this will save me a lot of time lol its got ics and ginger bread on the card

I would be cautious about a card with both ics and gingerbread on it. As always with ebay it is buyer beware. There are other alternative out there for buying bootable SD cards such as Turn your Nook into a full Android Tablet | N2A cards and others. Of course it is up to you.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi folks. I need a bit of help here. I just got an 8GB Nook Color and I wanted to boot CM7 from an MicroSD card to avoid having issues with the existing OS. I used the procedure outlined in the first message of this thread, but aftr using the disk image writer, the 16GB Class 10 Samsung MicroSD card I got only had 117MB of space in the primary partition. Whats more, Disk management would not let me delete the partition, or partition the unallocated space. I eventually found an SDformat program which did get all 16GB accessible again, but again, when I tried again, the same thing happened. I really don't want to just buy a pre-rooted card, they are just too expensive so I really want to do this myself. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on my systems here. Oh and I tried it on different systems on my home lan, but the results were the same. I hope someone has a fix for this. I eagerly await a response and thanks in advance.

Rich

That is all the space you are supposed to see on the card after the process. The rest of the space is there but you can't see it until you use the card to boot into CM7. Changing the partition before booting into CM7 will reduce the amount of space available for you to use in the operating system. In other words whatever you increase you make to the boot partition you loose in actual useable space once booted into CM7.

sparrowlord01

Feb 27, 2012
I thought that that's how it was supposed to work, but when I tried to boot from the SD card after burning the image and copying over the files, the installer ran with all kinds of insufficient space errors, and it would not boot to the card. So something had to have gone wrong, I just can't figure out what.

That is all the space you are supposed to see on the card after the process. The rest of the space is there but you can't see it until you use the card to boot into CM7. Changing the partition before booting into CM7 will reduce the amount of space available for you to use in the operating system. In other words whatever you increase you make to the boot partition you loose in actual useable space once booted into CM7.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I thought that that's how it was supposed to work, but when I tried to boot from the SD card after burning the image and copying over the files, the installer ran with all kinds of insufficient space errors, and it would not boot to the card. So something had to have gone wrong, I just can't figure out what.

For the installation that makes sense. There are actually two methods for creating the boot card. The link to the original method is in the first post. At some point the CM7 file and the GApps file got to big to run in the boot partition. This issue is dealt with in the thread, specifically in the last few pages. Option 1 is to use the original method and boot into CM7 before placing GApps on the SD card then boot into recovery to flash GAapps. Option 2 is to use a partition manager to make a slightly bigger boot partition ~125MB place both CM7 and GApps on there and then follow the directions in the first post.

Just let us know if you need anything else or don't understand anything about those 2 options.

JP

sparrowlord01

Feb 27, 2012
Well, the Disk Management console in Win 7 won't change the partition to expand it. Can you point me to a recommended partition manager for this application? Thanks for the help. I've been on PCs since before they had keyboards, but Android is new to me and I really appreciate all the help.

For the installation that makes sense. There are actually two methods for creating the boot card. The link to the original method is in the first post. At some point the CM7 file and the GApps file got to big to run in the boot partition. This issue is dealt with in the thread, specifically in the last few pages. Option 1 is to use the original method and boot into CM7 before placing GApps on the SD card then boot into recovery to flash GAapps. Option 2 is to use a partition manager to make a slightly bigger boot partition ~125MB place both CM7 and GApps on there and then follow the directions in the first post.

Just let us know if you need anything else or don't understand anything about those 2 options.

JP