(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

LostWish

Jan 3, 2012
Hey, Great instructions I found them very easy to follow. However I have run into a giant problem. Everything seems to work fine, I put the card in it boots the linux I shut it off, I turn it back on and the internal books not the android. I have a nook color, not a tablet. And am getting extensivly frustrated about this. I have already restored it to factory once tried again and it still didn't work...

any thought?

Thanks!

LostWish

Jan 3, 2012
you know... after reading everyones problems on this it almost sounds like the latest update is making it so you can no longer root your nook color. I may have to go take mine back and get a kindle fire if that the case. The only reason I got the color was so I could root it..

lstiffler

Dec 28, 2011
What problems did you run into? And what did you do to remedy said problems?
Thanks in advance.

I had a myriad of issues getting it to boot in Android. But what ultimately worked was to format my SD card with the Panasonic formatter 2.0. Then increase the partion to 150 with the eausus (sp?) Program. The use the imaging program (win32?) to image the SD card. Then copy the gapps and update zip files to the card. Finally insert card into nook and power on.

Short version:

1. Reformat to a perfectly clean card.
2. Increase partition
3. Follow steps on page 1
4. Bask in glory

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

jigones

Jan 7, 2012
THANKS for the instructions! A couple of quick notes from complete rooting noob (mentioned in the thread, but not on the updated instructions). If your Nook will not boot into CM7 (who knows why????), burn the image file and copy CM7 to your SD card FIRST. Turn on the Nook, let CM7 install. Make sure you have wifi, then turn off and take out SD card. Put into computer, THEN copy google apps file onto SD card. Put SD card into nook SD card slot, turn on. Once ON, hit the power button, this will give you the choice to reboot. Pick reboot then pick recovery mode. This will add google apps.

candyman2012

Jan 11, 2012
It is best to update your Nook color to the 1.4.1 stock update and register your device prior to doing any modifications to the device.
1. Download generic-sdcard-v1.3 img and unzip the file.
http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz

2. Download update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed zip file (CM7 stable).
Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

3. Download gapps-gb-20110828-signed zip file(latest google apps).
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip

4. Use SD Card Drive Format Tool to wipe drive and get a clean start.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

use options:
Format type: Full (Erase)
Format Size Adjustment: ON

5. Download and unzip win32diskimager-binary folder to your computer
http://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.4/0.4/+download/win32diskimager-binary.zip

6. Burn the unzipped generic-sdcard image to sd card using Win 32Disk Imager.

7. Install SD partition manager epm.exe and run program
EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
7.a. Use SD partition manager to partition Micro SD Card from 107MB to 150MB you have to hit apply once you make the change for it to take effect.

8. Copy update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed and gapps-gb-20110828-signedzip files to SD card. *Do not change the file names.*

9. Power down Nook and insert SD Card.

10. Power on Nook and wait for CM7 boot program to run. You will see Linux Penguin and a bunch of scripts run and packages install.

11. Program will say install finished “It is safe to power off now” but wait until the screen goes blank.

12. Hold power button for 10 seconds to power down Nook.

13. Power up Nook.

14. You will see blue text Android followed by CM7boot screen followed by a choice of com.android.provision.DefaultActivity or Setup Wizard.

15. Choose Setup Wizard.

16. Touch the Android to begin.

17. Choose skip at google account.

18. Choose next use location.

19. Select time zone, check automatic then next.

20. Press the n button.

21. Then Menu>Settings>Wireless & networks>Wi-Fi settings and connect to your network.

22. Once connected use the Back button twice.

23. Choose Accounts & sync from the menu. Add account>Google.

24. Choose next.

25. Sign in with your Google account.

26. Click OK.

27. Select the Google apps to install (recommend Gmail, Google Maps, Google Voice and YouTube). Click OK.

28. Click Accept.

29. Click each selected app to download it.

30. Choose if you want to use backup & restore, click next.

31. Click Finish setup.

You have now completed the major portion of the setup and can run CM7 J

Extra setup -

Menu>Settings>CyogenMod settings>Performance>CPUsettings>Max CPU frequency: 925MHz, Set on boot checked.
Menu>Settings>CyogenMod settings>Tablet tweaks>Choosesoft-buttons: add Home, set others to preference.
Menu>Settings>CyogenMod settings>Tablettweaks>Choose unhide button> Vol+ or Vol-
Menu>Settings>Applications: Check Unknown sources
Menu>Settings>ADWLauncher>Screenpreferences>Deskto p Columns: 8

Many thanks to J515OP, glasskeys, and everyone else for getting the first versions of this how to posted!

Last edited:

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
This is driving me nuts! I've tried numerous times to make the boot disk. And it always shows 107 mb left on my card! What am I doing wrong?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This is driving me nuts! I've tried numerous times to make the boot disk. And it always shows 107 mb left on my card! What am I doing wrong?

When you make a boot disk that is all you are supposed to see. The rest of the card is formatted in a way that only the android OS will see. This is the correct result.

Benzoman

Jan 15, 2012
I'm sure its posted already but you need to resize the partition to get enough room for the other files to fit. Search here or read trough the threads to find which program you want to use to resize the partition. Hope this helpsa little.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Cool, now I understand. I'll continue with this tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

peeam

Dec 7, 2010
I followed the excellent instructions on the previous page but there is now a problem. When I boot, I get up to the blue android cyanogen (mod) 7 screen with a revolving arrow and no further. I have tried multiple times turning NC off and on but always get stuck at that step. What to do ?

PeeAm

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
How long did it stay there. It can take quite a long time to load for the first boot.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Shouldn't be too much longer than that though. More than 20-25 there is surely an issue.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Well, I'm rooted! FINALLY!!! Now I seem to have trouble loading the NC up with my books. I have it connected to my computer. It shows the two folder icons. One for the NC and one for removable card. I click on it and and tells me to insert media? Whats's up with that?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You have to boot into CM7 to connect and move things to CM7 internal memory and CM7 SD card memory. If you try and boot into regular Nook and then access the SD card it won't see it right (only the boot partition) since it is formatted for CM7 now.

Popular ways to move files into CM7 running on the SD card include dropbox and samba so you can do it wirelessly.