(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Question... If I use CM7 via a bootable SD Card as described in this thread (an elsewhere), will I maintain the stock B&N access when not booted to CM7? Currently I'm autonooter'd which didn't break B&N native access. So in other words, by running CM7 bootable, I can go back to autonooter at anytime by removing the SD card and rebooting?

Just want to make sure that I understand that and have it correct.

Thanks,
Doug

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Question... If I use CM7 via a bootable SD Card as described in this thread (an elsewhere), will I maintain the stock B&N access when not booted to CM7? Currently I'm autonooter'd which didn't break B&N native access. So in other words, by running CM7 bootable, I can go back to autonooter at anytime by removing the SD card and rebooting?

Just want to make sure that I understand that and have it correct.

Thanks,
Doug

Yes, that is correct. Take out the card and you will boot just like you do now, no change :D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are these steps applicable for Phiremod?

I haven't tried this with Phiremod and I am not sure if the script that creates the bootable disk will work with the Phiremod ROM zip. This is was prepared for CM7 only. Attempted use with Phiremod is at your sole risk.

Goldberry

Apr 29, 2011
From the XDA thread, verygreen explains it. I have added the emphasis in bold.

OC Kernel installation instructions:
After you have a running CM7 by doing the steps above.
Get CM7 OC kernel from Dalingrin's thread. Unpack the zip file, the result should be a file with the name "kernel" and some other stuff. Rename the kernel file to uImage.
Shutdown your nook and take the uSD card out (make sure the nook is not plugged into USB bus or it'll boot into eMMC then).
Plug the SD Card into the computer, copy uImage file you just created to the first partition (the partition name would be "boot") instead of the existing file with this name (might want to save the original file just in case).
Now you are ready to go again.
You'll need to repeat these steps every time you upgrade to a new nightly build, because they carry their own kernels with them.

I haven't tried it yet myself and not sure if I will geven that the limiting factor is probably the SD card more than the kernel speed in this case. You might want to run some bench marks before and after and see if you notice a difference.

JP

I thank you for your detailed instructions on your OP.

I had used a method from XDA that called for first putting update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed zip file then after it was on taking out the SD and putting on Gapps but the Gapps didn't load but putting them on together worked great.

I was wondering if it is because while my PC indicates that it sees and writes to the sd card whether the zip file written ended up corrupted.

Is it for sure that you can replace the uImage file from the PC?

Another question I have is how do you place book, data pictures, videos etc on the card? Do they go into a hidden partition?

I recall reading somewhere that MyPhoneExplorer worked but haven't tried it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Goldberry, the reason you have to put the files on together is because once the boot script runs the card is formatted in such a way that the PC can no longer read it. The PC will recognize the card as unformatted and ask if you want to format it. If you do this it will erase the card entirely so that when you put it back in your nook it will not boot.

If you get software capable of reading the card (like a parition utility) you can access the card but I don't know that it is worth the effort. Instead placing the files together at the beginning works. Then once you are bootied into the OS you can use apps like dropbox, samba or file explorers to transfer files between the PC and the Nook. This is probably an ability you'll want to have anyway so I think it is more efficient to do this than get software for the PC to read the boot formatted card.

Here is a good thread on how to use Samba http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...s-nook-color-sd-card-over-wifi.html#post57340

JP

mcb01

Apr 3, 2011
If I'm booted into CM7 from a card like described here, but I have apps I backed up with Titanium Backup on another card, can I restore those apps and use them?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If I'm booted into CM7 from a card like described here, but I have apps I backed up with Titanium Backup on another card, can I restore those apps and use them?

This question has now come up a couple of times so here is the easy way to do it.

1. Remove CM7 boot card and boot to internal OS.
2. Once booted to internal OS insert CM7 bootable SD card. The Nook should chime and display the SD card icon in notifications indicating the card has been mounted.
3. Run Titanium Backup to get a fresh backup of all your apps. By default this will save to the SD card which in this case will create a folder called "TitaniumBackup" on the root of your CM7 bootable SD.
4. With your CM7 bootable SD card still installed reboot your Nook.
5. You should now be in CM7, open the File Manager app which installs with CM7 (or another file manager of your choice).
6. Move the TB folder from the root of your SD card (which CM7 sees as internal memory) to the directory (folder) "sdcard".
7. Now open TB and it will see your backups so you can restore.

JP

mcb01

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks J515OP!

Another question, can someone recommend what brand/class/size card is good for running CM7 from? I've tried a 2GB PNY and there is a lot of lag, occasional force close/wait messages, and web browsing was so slow it was unusable.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks J515OP!

Another question, can someone recommend what brand/class/size card is good for running CM7 from? I've tried a 2GB PNY and there is a lot of lag, occasional force close/wait messages, and web browsing was so slow it was unusable.

Most people are using class 4 or higher in general. You didn't mention what class your PNY is. The class determines the speed. If you are running bootable ROMs I would stick to class 6 or higher.

mcb01

Apr 3, 2011
Most people are using class 4 or higher in general. You didn't mention what class your PNY is. The class determines the speed. If you are running bootable ROMs I would stick to class 6 or higher.

I have no idea what class the PNY was, but I'll try out a class 6 to see if this helps.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There should be an indication on the card it should say Class 6 for example with the number inside of a C that is almost closed. Sometimes the number is inside of the C without saying the class.

mcb01

Apr 3, 2011
There should be an indication on the card it should say Class 6 for example with the number inside of a C that is almost closed. Sometimes the number is inside of the C without saying the class.

Only thing printed on it is SD-C02G