How to Restore 7042, 8042, 9742 Dump

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
Hi @vimpirefo,

Got the info I needed on ADB just need to clarify before I do anything further...

Through CWM, do I format Data, System and Cache? If I format these what will be left of the system? Will I be left with blank hardware?

Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If you format a partition, the command does exactly as name implies removes everything on the partition being formatted. so you will have nothing on, system, data, or cache if you format them, the tablet will be unbootable, so make sure you have a system to replace the system you are formatting.

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
If you format a partition, the command does exactly as name implies removes everything on the partition being formatted. so you will have nothing on, system, data, or cache if you format them, the tablet will be unbootable, so make sure you have a system to replace the system you are formatting.

Thanks. So when you say:

"use cwm navigate to mount options format /data /system /cache

mount /sdcard /cache /system"

what do I do here?

I'm looking at the first level of my CWM options and I have:
-reboot system now
-install zip from sd card
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

so if i got your instructions correctly, I go to
-mounts and storage

then I'll have the following options:

-mount /system
-mount /data
-unmount /cache
-mount /sdcard
-format /system
-format /data
-format /cache
-format /sdcard
-mount /usb storage

from here, I'm unsure of what to do next.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You'll be going into the menu three times, and selecting...

format /data
format /system
format /cache

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
You'll be going into the menu three times, and selecting...

format /data
format /system
format /cache

Thanks. So in effect, I'll be wiping the device clean of anything, correct?

Also, how come when testing the ADB shell command while in CWM, it returns "device not found"? I installed the drivers from one of your other threads and when in USB debugging mode, the system recognizes the driver as "Android Composite Device" and the tab as "android phone (or android)"

I've also already mounted system/cache/sdcard.

am i missing anything?

EDIT: I checked device manager while under CWM and it recognizes the device as "Full"

Is there a way to restore the dump just using CWM (without ADB)?

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You would in fact be wiping everything out by doing this.

As to what you are doing wrong, I don't know. Restoring from a system dump is something I haven't had to do, because I had the foresight to make nandroid backups of the stock ROM, both with and without Google's apps included. A nandroid backup is the only means of restoring a device to an earlier state without requiring ADB. Since you didn't make one, you have to use ADB.

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
You would in fact be wiping everything out by doing this.

As to what you are doing wrong, I don't know. Restoring from a system dump is something I haven't had to do, because I had the foresight to make nandroid backups of the stock ROM, both with and without Google's apps included. A nandroid backup is the only means of restoring a device to an earlier state without requiring ADB. Since you didn't make one, you have to use ADB.

I think I figured it out. My system installed drivers for windows XP from the drivers you provided. don't know why it didn't use the windows 7 ones. Managed to find drivers from Steev's post with a link to How to Install ADB Driver via PDAnet software | Top Notch Tablets. Tried again if ADB shell works. command line returned ~#

As for the nandroid backup, yeah, wish I was able to do that. Thing is I didn't know I didn't have CWM till things got screwd up. I realized that I was just entering default recovery but by then it was too late.

I'll try to restore dump now.

Thanks a lot for all the help @traveller1701, @vampirefo & @steev !

Hope you never run out of patience for noobs like us (me)

Cheers!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm glad you got it up and running, but I'll have to dig up that link for PDANet and put it into the ADB drivers sticky I created as an alternative to the zip file I offer. I had to edit the .INF file in the XP version in order for the ADB drivers to work at all since Coby does not have an entry included in the file.

About the only times I lose patience for new users are when they don't know basics such as working with a zip file, or when they simply expect me to basically root the tablet for them. The way I see it, I am a guide. I will provide the tools and the instructions to use them. I will provide assistance if a user gets stuck - like you did here - but I will not sit with them and hold their hand every step of the way. I simply have neither the time nor the patience to do that.

Jotar

Jan 15, 2011
Hy, there
First of all, sorry for my bad english.
I´m from Portugal and I bought my mi9742 20 days ago.
Has a noob, I briked it last week, and I've no backup or dump.
Allrady tried a lot of of things: steeve's rom braught me problems with the screen (inverted); Vampirefo's stock rom doesn't solve the problem; neither the instructions here;
However, the mobiz_V2rom solve the inverted screen, but not themultitouch and camera issue (no front camera).
I need the multituch and the front camera, has whell as the front one.
Can you help me?

PS: I allrady tried Vampirefo´s *.bin files, but I have no /sdcard/na to put them. I have cw access.

Thank you all

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
I'm glad you got it up and running, but I'll have to dig up that link for PDANet and put it into the ADB drivers sticky I created as an alternative to the zip file I offer. I had to edit the .INF file in the XP version in order for the ADB drivers to work at all since Coby does not have an entry included in the file.

About the only times I lose patience for new users are when they don't know basics such as working with a zip file, or when they simply expect me to basically root the tablet for them. The way I see it, I am a guide. I will provide the tools and the instructions to use them. I will provide assistance if a user gets stuck - like you did here - but I will not sit with them and hold their hand every step of the way. I simply have neither the time nor the patience to do that.

Yeah, was thinking of doing another "guide" to basically put all the links in one thread to help out other noobs who may have just about the same technical know how as I do but I'm really in no position to be creating guides. haha. I guess adding the PDAnet to the sticky would be a great help to others.

I get you on the patience and role bit. As a noob, jargon can get you lost or what may be elementary to guys like you might not be as elementary to us (like "ADB shell"... I had no idea it can be used a a verb and a command line at the same time till i went snooping around some more.) But I totally agree with you, if you don't know how to unzip a file, then maybe you shouldn't be trying out anything like this.

Hope I didn't sound as caveman dumb though. Haha. Panic and disappointment is a bad mix.

Feb 20, 2013
Hello,

I have questions. First of all, thank you very much for your posts. I followed your directions, then bricked it, but luckily was able to get into CWM and re-flash it with someone else's backup, which worked. However, I do have few questions.

1. It seems like the permissions on the folders are all screwed up. For example, sdcard folder, which contains "Download" folders now have permissions "d---rwxr-x system" which prevents me from downloading anything to the system. On my phone, which was never rooted has a persmission "drwxrwxr-x root". Of course, I could change it manually, but is there a script or a list of permissions for the system which I can use? The reason is that I might return the tablet and wanted to return the system to the original setting as much as possible. I've installed "permissions.zip" as posted on the first thread and it still doesn't work. Maybe it's a different issue?
Edit: I actually can't even do chmod. It's apparently a read-only file system. hmm.

Maybe it's mounted wrong? Attached "mount" output
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal
_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journa
l_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandi /mnt/private vfat ro,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime
=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/extsd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ui
d=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=
ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:80 /mnt/sdcard vfat ro,dirsync,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fma
sk=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mix
ed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:80 /mnt/secure/asec vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relat
ime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,ioch
arset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
Is this saved somewhere and loaded everytime it boots up? Can I fix this permanently?

2. On that note, how would I return the recovery mode to the original setting as well? Right now it's CWM, but is there a script to return it to the original?

Thank you.

Last edited:

inmymind

Mar 13, 2013
Many people have taken the time to make a dump of their tablets, this is really great, but none seem to know how to restore them. I am going to give you a quick walk through.

You need to have CW recovery installed, if you don't you need to install it before you begin.

place below files on sdcard. the bottom three files are to come from your dump.

install-boot.sh
install-bootloader.sh
install-system.sh

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz

boot into recovery.

use cwm navigate to mount options format /data /system /cache

mount /sdcard /cache /system

adb shell

cp /sdcard/install-boot.sh /tmp/install-boot.sh
cp /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh /tmp/install-bootloader.sh
cp /sdcard/install-system.sh /tmp/install-system.sh

chmod 755 /tmp/install-system.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/install-bootloader.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/install-boot.sh

busybox sh /tmp/install-boot.sh
busybox sh /tmp/install-bootloader.sh
busybox sh /tmp/install-system.sh

reboot

download below

7042_stock.zip

The zip say 7042_stock don't worry about that it's just three scripts they install the files you provide.

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz

This video shows the response you should receive as you type or copy and paste commands.

It has came to my attention some of you users might have been piping your system, this is ok for update.zip but not good for direct install.

for the ones that have piped their system, eg caught into a bootloop, do a factory reset then install permissions.zip, place zip on your sdcard and install through cwm after doing factory reset.

permissions.zip

This is not correct! I downloaded the file but only have inside this:
install-boot.sh
install-bootloader.sh
install-system.sh

NOT what I need and you say in the post:

"The zip say 7042_stock don't worry about that it's just three scripts they install the files you provide.

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz"

This is lie!

Last edited by a moderator:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is not correct! I downloaded the file but only have inside this:
install-boot.sh
install-bootloader.sh
install-system.sh

NOT what I need and you say in the post:

"The zip say 7042_stock don't worry about that it's just three scripts they install the files you provide.

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz"

This is lie!
Dude you aren't really worth replying to, the zip contains three batch scripts, the user needs to supply the dump.