Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
well at the moment i'm in Norway and been checking the device out here i found it for 2000KR(200pounds) in a local shop seems there not selling to much here , gonna check the shops over in Spain when i get there this weekend.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Hope so. It does not look good that they get their first Android product into the one of the biggest retailers in the US (which is quite a hard point to make, especially since Best Buy only carries one other Huawei product, a hot spot for Cricket) and even better yet get it stocked on the shelves, then suffer a lot of returns or poor sales due to lack of support. Best Buy does not like that, and they are the only game in town for a lot of people so Huawei should pay attention. I'm sure that it is hard enough to sell Android tablets as it is next to the giant iPad display packet with people playing games on them. Having good and cheap hardware has carried them in the past, but penetrating the US market is also going to require some good support and building a user base with word of mouth.

foobaz123

Nov 22, 2010
YMMV with your BB, but I have a little over a week to return it to my local BB, and take a $45 (15%) hit for the restocking fee (they made a point of that with the "14-day Return" tape stuck all over the box - no Christmas gift grace period extension). I am thinking more and more that will be the price of my "trial period", and be done with it.

However, given that this issue does not seem fully settled, and IF BB happens to have a substantial sale price reduction in this coming Sunday's ad, I might "cash in" their price match guarantee (since it will still be within the 14-day period they specify in the fine print for that guarantee), and hang on in hopes it will get the Froyo update. I most definitely do not want capacitive, so that is no incentive for me. The lack of USB host and inability to connect after pairing my Palm bluetooth keyboard are other negatives for me though...

Rokky, can you elaborate on the bluetooth keyboard issue? I've been thinking of getting one for the S7 and am wondering what issue you've seen. Thanks.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Rokky, can you elaborate on the bluetooth keyboard issue? I've been thinking of getting one for the S7 and am wondering what issue you've seen. Thanks.

Simple: it pairs, but does not connect (per status shown), and gets no response in text input areas. Same thing after installing BlueInput, except that added a "click" sound with each keypress - whoopeee.

The Palm keyboard works fine with my Archos 5 IT and Nokia N810 without even adding BlueInput. I have seen other folks reporting other BT keyboards working I think, but the Palm is what I have, so that is what I would want to stay with.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Hope so. It does not look good that they get their first Android product into the one of the biggest retailers in the US (which is quite a hard point to make, especially since Best Buy only carries one other Huawei product, a hot spot for Cricket) and even better yet get it stocked on the shelves, then suffer a lot of returns or poor sales due to lack of support. Best Buy does not like that, and they are the only game in town for a lot of people so Huawei should pay attention. I'm sure that it is hard enough to sell Android tablets as it is next to the giant iPad display packet with people playing games on them. Having good and cheap hardware has carried them in the past, but penetrating the US market is also going to require some good support and building a user base with word of mouth.

We will see things turn around next year. Huawei has long term plans for the American market.

^a very thorough assessment, i truly hope that HUAWEI makes more of an effort to keep us in the loop!

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
The flood of returns to Best Buy will definitely negatively impact Huawei in the US. Best Buy execs will see the staggering number of returned Huawei S7 units and be none too happy.

The Christmas shopping season is literally what carries a company for their whole fiscal year. Christmas can make or break a retailer! So having to hand out a flood of refunds for one particular product is not going to go over well with Best Buy corporate...

Oh well, let the chips fall where they may. I'll watch closely and hope Huawei doesn't abandon a product that literally was just released though it's really starting to look like it...

Last edited:

jcabibi

Dec 8, 2010
PLEASE keep returning the S7 to BB!

This way I can pick up another one with a 10% "open box" discount ;)

rjgtr

Nov 28, 2010
So a whole bunch of people are hoping BB will get a lot of returns? That seems shortsighted.

What will a lot of returns mean for Huawei? BB will stop carrying them. Huawei is not Dell, Samsung or HP. If a small brand has problems, the big box stores dump them.

As for 2.2, here's what we have. An article in Indonesia saying there won't be an upgrade. A tablet shipping in India with 2..2 that looks identicle to the S7. The Norwegian distributor saying there will be 2.2 Q1 2011. And some inside side sources saying they are working on a 2.2 kernel. Huawei in China hasn't made any official statement. So we don't know either way.

As with any other electronics purchase, buying the S7 should based on whether it does what you want. It is always a mistake to buy something based on what it might do in the future. This is true for any tablet that doesn't run 2.2 now. There's been plenty of times when a company promises an upgrade and by the time it is delivered there's something a lot better. I would wager that by March a bunch of 3.0 tablets will be released. What then? Every 2.2 tablet will be obsolete.

The S7 isn't perfect, but nothing is.

Last edited:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^although i still have my S7 you r right, since GINGERBREAD will be out next year all the more reason we need to know if we can or will at least have 2.2 so as to FUTURE PROOF our investment as long as we can;

the video from India can easily be the CAPACITATIVE S7; numerous blogs have confirmed no 2.2 S7 on the resistive; and yet we have no confirmation however brief from an official source;

LG quickly did an about turn on the updates on their phones; why cant HUAWEI do something; either say yes or say no, doing nothing does not make our decision any easier..

Last edited:

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Didn't pbauer have some dialog going on with someone at Huawei? Wasn't he suppose to have some kind of "official" call last Friday to find out more details on the S7 updates? Did we ever hear anything on that?

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Huawei "doing nothing" makes the decision to go with a competitor a no-brainer for a lot of people. Unfortunately. Huawei is loosing sales and getting a whole lot of returns on prior sales because of it.

All you can do is wait or go with another product. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach right now... Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Misterwally

Dec 16, 2010
Just brought one home from Best Buy yesterday. Searched all over the net and found you folks here. The capacitive s 7 sounds like it would be real cool. Now I find myself in the position of wondering should I take it back or hang on. I could ebay it if the newer model shows up. At first blush I really like the layout, fit and form of it. Even with resistive screen and battery that does not last that long it seems like a great buy at 299. I ordered a sim from simple mobile that should arrive tomorrow so I'll be finding what calls are like. What really is a kicker is that it even fits in my jeans back pocket!!! 2.2 would really be nice and I would definitely contribute to anyone that get a good recovery working. I'm leaning hard to going with this machine if not in this form in thee new one coming out after the first of the year

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The capacitive Huawei S7, if it were to be on sale in US stores today, would not be 299US. Capacitive screens are expensive, especially at this size. It would be no less than $350, though I expect closer to $400 than $350.