[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042 - Rooted, Google Apps, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabidjim

Jul 29, 2012
I was able to get this to work, thanks for the info. my problem is that not all apps work, could this be caused by no serial number being listed or is this just the limitations of the device?

llenyar

Jul 15, 2012
thanks... got my corby 8042 rooted... tried once and got lucky... :D just got 1 question why do my tablet have 2 gallery? and still i cant install big games like dinosaur wars, highway rider, nba jam, contract killer.... thanks.. God Bless!

hermank

Aug 15, 2012
2.Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
On my Kyros MID8042, there are only three physical keys, power,volume & back! What's (still holding 3 and 4)?

George436

Aug 15, 2012
Hi Sokar311, Thank you very much for posting this Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042. I followed the procedure exactly and my Coby 8042 is rooted now. It works perfectly. Thanks to all who have put together their time and efforts to help the Coby users.

madmadisyn

Aug 17, 2012
So it sounds like you guys know how to solve the issue with my Coby MID8042 of only being able to use GetJar and not be able to use any google apps as well as being able to fix the added storage from a microsd card. Would someone please be willing to explain in detail how to solve these issues ? This is my first tablet and would love to be able to fix it so I can use it for college. Thanks so much for any help you guys can offer.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
Hi i'm posting this rom, based on the 8042 firmware dump posted by Shinisuryu , it is rooted, and loaded with google apps and of course google play.

I also fixed the search function which crashed, i had to remove GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk wich was causing problems, this solution should work for the other roms, just install titanum backup and delete it.

Downloads:

Link removed

Flashing instructions(taken from steev):
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the cfw_8042_ics_root_gapps_v01.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Write if you run into problems, i have been testing the rom for a couple of days before posting, so it should be fine.

I had tried to put my Coby Kyros MID8042-4 into the upgrade mode by the method you had given but nothing happened. I held in the back button and also the volume up key as well and still nothing happened on the screen but I thought that maybe nothing was suppose to happen and I went ahead and plugged in the usb cable and still nothing happened and the computer did not pick up that it was connected to the tablet, the only thing that did occur was a image of a battery came on on the tablet screen showing it was being charged. Are you sure that these instructions are for the Coby Kyros MID8042-4 tablet?

Thanks very much, I hope to hear from you soon about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberdemon

Sep 10, 2012
Thanks, what initially drove me to make this rom is that i messed up my 8042 /system trying to load google apps, after that i looked everywhere for a rom or a dump, a couple days after user Shinisuryu posted his 8042 dumps, and finally managed to make the rom (after finding out how to), hope it stays working pefectly, if you or anyone find any issues please let me know so i can fix them, so far i have'nt found any issues on mine.

Thanks, hope you enjoy as i do.

I have a problem... I just did what your instruction said and it just smooth installing but when I used it with wifi my Coby Kyros 8042 it connects then it disconnect again after some minutes... but in my settings wifi is still enabled but said that its saved not connected... I push reconnect but didn't do anything... I off the wifi button then on again it connects then after a minute it disconnect... Hope to get an answer for this and fix...

JUANGE

Sep 20, 2012
i finnally got mine done. after properly installing my drivers using 'DPinst.exe' a program that helps you install any driver by just placing it in the driver folder and running it as an administrator(right click on it and choose run as an administrator) and it will start up and just follow the onscreen guide to automatically install those drivers for u.

FOR WINDOWS 7 (having problems with drivers)
if you are running windows 7 and u need drivers for this. go to this website to download drivers for both 32bit and 64 bit users :

windows 7 64bit- USB Drivers Windows 7 - Vista - 64Bit

windows 7 32bit- USB Drivers Windows 7 - Vista - XP - 32Bit
note: u can use "dpinst.exe to install these drivers.
PROBLEMS WITH LIVESUITE
i recommend you use livesuite v1.0.7
if you are having problems opening it and it gives you an error of "fail" something like that. u need to install its driver. to do that follow these instructions:
1.power of ur kyros tablet
2. hold the volume + button
3. still holding the button connect ur usb cable to the computer(u should hear a noise and should see at your volume control area of your computer something installing. as long as you here a noise move to step 5)
4.still holding pres the power button multiple times.(u should hear a noise and should see at your volume control area of your computer something installing)
5. try opening the livesuit.exe( it should ask for permission and pop right open)
6 disconnect the cable and follow the steps to start flashing.
note:this is not flashing. this is just to help open the program "livesuit.exe".

if ur having problems flashing. it should be your drivers

PROBLEMS (livesuit doesnt move from 0% and remains there for long)
i had these problem and it turned out that my .img file was not properly extracted. (check the size of the image file extracted. it should be about 300mb in size)f it is not that big
then try extracting it once more.

APART FROM THESE THERE SHOULD BE NO FURTHER PROBLEMS. IT SHOULD GO VERY SMOOTHLY BUT MAKE SHURE YOU INSTALL ALL THE DRIVER YOU HAVE (to make it easier i prefer you use "dpinst.exe" . you can google it or search for it on 4 shared. they have for 32bit and 64bit so make sure you get the right one.

I ENJOYING THIS ROM BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I CANT MOVE APPS TO SD CARD. PLEASE I WOULD NEED HELP ON THAT.

Followed this and works perfect. Thks!
Flash with windows seven 64bit

miguelhn94

Sep 20, 2012
my 8042 got stuck on the android logo i dont know what to do i cant activate USB Debugging cuz it loads the tablet like a hard-drive so i dont know what else to do help me

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
I am having problems getting my tablet in update mode. I power it off, hold the vol + key, connect the tablet to my laptop and repeatedly press the power button and nothing happens. Could i get some assistance please

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
Hi, I am having difficulty gettiing my tablet in update mode. I am following all the procedures but nothing in happening. Could i get some assistance.

manusilvestre

Sep 20, 2012
Hi! In my case nothing happened on the tablet screen but the computer instantly started install the driver needed (the driver is on the livesuit pack).
In step four you have to press the power button like constant clicks.
Sorry for my english if I have commited some error.

Last edited:

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
i finnally got mine done. after properly installing my drivers using 'DPinst.exe' a program that helps you install any driver by just placing it in the driver folder and running it as an administrator(right click on it and choose run as an administrator) and it will start up and just follow the onscreen guide to automatically install those drivers for u.

FOR WINDOWS 7 (having problems with drivers)
if you are running windows 7 and u need drivers for this. go to this website to download drivers for both 32bit and 64 bit users :

windows 7 64bit- USB Drivers Windows 7 - Vista - 64Bit

windows 7 32bit- USB Drivers Windows 7 - Vista - XP - 32Bit
note: u can use "dpinst.exe to install these drivers.
PROBLEMS WITH LIVESUITE
i recommend you use livesuite v1.0.7
if you are having problems opening it and it gives you an error of "fail" something like that. u need to install its driver. to do that follow these instructions:
1.power of ur kyros tablet
2. hold the volume + button
3. still holding the button connect ur usb cable to the computer(u should hear a noise and should see at your volume control area of your computer something installing. as long as you here a noise move to step 5)
4.still holding pres the power button multiple times.(u should hear a noise and should see at your volume control area of your computer something installing)
5. try opening the livesuit.exe( it should ask for permission and pop right open)
6 disconnect the cable and follow the steps to start flashing.
note:this is not flashing. this is just to help open the program "livesuit.exe".

if ur having problems flashing. it should be your drivers

PROBLEMS (livesuit doesnt move from 0% and remains there for long)
i had these problem and it turned out that my .img file was not properly extracted. (check the size of the image file extracted. it should be about 300mb in size)f it is not that big
then try extracting it once more.

APART FROM THESE THERE SHOULD BE NO FURTHER PROBLEMS. IT SHOULD GO VERY SMOOTHLY BUT MAKE SHURE YOU INSTALL ALL THE DRIVER YOU HAVE (to make it easier i prefer you use "dpinst.exe" . you can google it or search for it on 4 shared. they have for 32bit and 64bit so make sure you get the right one.

I ENJOYING THIS ROM BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I CANT MOVE APPS TO SD CARD. PLEASE I WOULD NEED HELP ON THAT.

I don't know where you get your information from but the drivers you listed do not work in Windows 7 64 bit, after installing all the drivers you provided it still will not recognize the Coby Kyros MID8042-4 tablet. I hope you can come up with some sound advice on how to get the tablet recognized in Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.