[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

guxx

May 5, 2011
VEGAn is installed and is working perfectly. Thank you very much for your help. I think the problem was from me trying to re-install a firmware i already had.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
VEGAn is installed and is working perfectly. Thank you very much for your help. I think the problem was from me trying to re-install a firmware i already had.

Glad that you got it work.

If you followed all installation steps, then after the installation of VEGAn, boot into recovery (pwr + volume up), CWM will install and the tablet will boot into VEGAn normally. Do it again a second time, it will boot into CWM. Within CWM, do a full nanoid backup and save the backup (clockworkmod) folder to PC. You can now try different rom’s. To return to this rom, simply boot into CWM and do a ‘restore’ with the save backup folder in the root of the internal sd card.

I’ve tried several popular rom’s, including stock firmware’s. They are all functional and pleasant to use. But this rom is SEXY. It is like a beautiful girl with vigorous youth and is ready to exploit. The VTL Launcher and Pershoot's kernel made it a hell a lot more attractive. Gojimi really created a master piece. Wish to see his Honey-Comb release someday soon.

And I hope that you and other readers would find the tablet useful. For me, I am still amazed by the success of the iPad's and the tablets, albeit their high prices. I have not been able to find even one usefulness. They won’t replace our cell phone, LCD TV, laptop, media player. They can’t even help us on simple tasks such as fishing, gardening, or killing a snake !

Speaking of snake, I just went thru a hair rising experience. Hope that Peter won’t mind my ranting a bit for a little fun. Attached to the rear of our home is a sun room on one end, an 20’ x 18’ patio in the middle, then a divider (built with white lattices), and an 8’ x 12’ polyethylene shed on the other end. Between the shed and our neighbor’s 6 high enclosed fence is a short 6’ wide walk way that lets to a gate.Between the shed and the rear of the house is narrow place that houses 2 A/C’s. The A/C’s have about a foot clearance on three sides from the house, the lattice divider and the rear of the shed. The opening side to the walk way has a persimmon tree.

There is a large public pond behind our house.

The afternoon before yesterday, as I stepped around the shed to the walk way, I sensed a movement and a snake scrawled quickly in front of me across the walkway to the A/C area. The snake was brownish, very large and almost the same length of the walkway. I was stunned. A long moment later, I gathered every bit of courage that was left in me, went back to the patio, kept a distance and tried to see where the snake was. There was no sign of it; not between the shed and the lattice; not visible in the A/C area. So, it must hide under one of A/C’s. I took the water hose, and blew full pressure of water under the A/C. After a few minutes, there was no movement. For the rest of the afternoon, I kept an eye on the area and did not see it any more. All the while, I was wondering what kind of snake it was? How dangerous? How can I get rid of it? Will it move away and leave us in peace? It was a worrisome evening and unrest night.

Around noon the following day, I saw brown body and a tail inside the gate. The rest was outside. It, or they?, since I could not tell whether it was one snake or two, could try to get warm under the sun. Hmmm, what should I do now? Lots of things went thru my mind. I must do it right, or it escaped again. Then the body and the tail disappeared from under the gate. Thru a crack in the fence, I saw it, or they, just on the other side of the fence. So, with a shovel, I slowly open the gate, stayed inside the fence and tried to spot him with my head around the fence. A mass of body was there, just about a few inches from the other side of the fence. With all my might, I slammed the shovel down on to the mass. For a brief moment, nothing happened. I thought I got it. So I raised the shovel to do it again. A flash of movement, then the damned snake sprung up and sped back inside the gate, around my bare feet, into the A/C area, then disappeared under an A/C. Damn! How could I have missed?

I repeated the high pressure water spray again, and again. An hour later, he reappeared with its head and a few inches of its neck thru the lattice divider over the patio. There was no way that I could attack it in that position. If it decided to sun bath on our patio, my wife would see it and she would have die of heart attack. So, I told her not to go outside and I went seeking our friend neighbor across the street. Him and me went back thru the gate from the other side of the house, and carefully approached the area. The snake was gone. Then I saw it stretched along the fence. There it is, I agitatedly told my neighbor. The snake, sensed us, sped across the walk way and tried to run into the A/C area. My neighbor, albeit being a heavy set old man, in a lightning fast few step, had the snake pinned under his shovel at two places. The snake raised its head and opened it mouth wide. The mouth was snow white. Get its head, he yelled at me. With what? I yelled back? Ooops! I got another shovel in my hand.

Afterward, he told me that it was a cottonmouth moccasin. Being about 5’ long, it is deathly. A day later now, I am still in shock of how close I was to be bitten by such a dangerous snake. Hmmm ! will there be more coming ?

Enough ranting for the day. If there is any snake expert visiting this forum, please advise how to prevent snake, LOL. If we don’t get bitten, we would die of heart attack.

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Hi can you please help !!! Peter did wonders with my G tam Viewsonic and I messit it up when I got it back, He loaded CW vegan and such, now all I get are the 3 birds and a skateboarder then it seams to hibernate, I would like to get this working before Peter returnd and wants to disown me
Thanking you in advance Jaye

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi can you please help !!! Peter did wonders with my G tam Viewsonic and I messit it up when I got it back, He loaded CW vegan and such, now all I get are the 3 birds and a skateboarder then it seams to hibernate, I would like to get this working before Peter returnd and wants to disown me
Thanking you in advance Jaye

Relax! I am sure that Peter would understand. A few questions first, ok ?
. Do you remember what you did before bad things happened. Be as detailed as possible ?
. Can you boot into CWM? (hold the pwr and volume up buttons until a small text line appears on the top right corner, then release both buttons). If you can, do a restore, then select reboot within CWM. Good chance that Peter did a nanoid backup. The CWM process will restore everything to the original state.
Before we go any further, tell us the result of the two questions above.
Dave

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
First, I removed my sd card, I was going to add music, I hope I did not unmunt or errase the internal and not the sd card. and no I can not get to rediscovery, It is like I cannot shut it off, now I am trying to keep the screen moving hoping to kill the battery
and thanks in advance

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
I am using this ROM with my BT Keyboard, so perhaps try resetting and reconnecting. The other option to see if it is a HID driver issue is try the BlueInput app and see if that fixes it. Be sure if you try this to include moving the BlueInput app to your /system/apps directory as described here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/viewsonic-gtablet/8104-bluetooth-mouse-keyboard-working.html

Well I acquired the blueInput app, installed and was able to connect where I could not before. unfortunately the tab is not accepting the input at all. What suggestions to remedy this issue do you have. What would be the best possible way for me to get back to the CM7 ROM with the best possible options. Paul, I see that you are running CM7 and Pershoots kernel. I have CWM installed, so if I do a wipe and then install via the zip file would that work.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
First, I removed my sd card, I was going to add music, I hope I did not unmunt or errase the internal and not the sd card. and no I can not get to rediscovery, It is like I cannot shut it off, now I am trying to keep the screen moving hoping to kill the battery
and thanks in advance

Handling the external sd card is important as the android OS is not as robust as Win7, per say. I've seen complaints of troubles before. Good practice is turning off the tablet, removing card, and putting it back in before turning on the tablet. Another method is connecting to PC to transfer files. This rom + kernel allow the PC to see both internal and external sd cards, therefore, removing the external sd card is not necessary.

You passed that point already. Just hope that you are able to reboot or boot into recovery. If it still does not work, then wait for your friend to fix it. Perhaps nvflashing is required as described in post #28.

Good luck,
Dave

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Was doing well until I down loaded the tap and tap now it seams as if I am back to square 1, can get to redicovery key but It just opens as normal, do not get the cw mwnu like before. Can some one please help. I am getting a bit better but still very newbie and frustrated
Thanking you all in advance Jaye

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
This may be considered a stupid question but what if I tried to restore my stock 3588 rom from cwm, then try this process? I had to nvflash once before and would prefer not to again. Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm currently running Vegan 5.1.1 but want some GB on the gtab!

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
This may be considered a stupid question but what if I tried to restore my stock 3588 rom from cwm, then try this process? I had to nvflash once before and would prefer not to again. Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm currently running Vegan 5.1.1 but want some GB on the gtab!

Step <11> in the first post will flash stock 1.1.3588.
Suggested to follow every step in the original post for a trouble free installation.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Step <11> in the first post will flash stock 1.1.3588.
Suggested to follow every step in the original post for a trouble free installation.

Will do...thanks. Can't wait to try it!

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Help again, It appears my gtab is not seeing CW, ever sense I I did the tapntap, now my pc does not sww the usb connect cable, how do I start again I reroot z4
Thank you again JAye

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
not too sure whats going on but ill jump in and try to help. If u plug it in and activate USB,then go o my computer and double click all ur USB drives till one pops up with android and recovery and other folders then install cwm again to that drive. Make sure u unzip it then power off and reboot holding volume + and power. and it will install and reboot when done. Are u running either tapntap 3588 or the 3389 versions?

Ronin317

Mar 23, 2011
Is anyone else never able to achieve a 100% battery charge with Vegan? The highest mine ever gets is 97% with the green light on. I've reset the battery stats in CWM, and that doesn't seem to do much of anything for it. Not that it's a big deal...but then again, my charger makes a high-pitched whining sound that I need to email Viewsonic about anyways...

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Is anyone else never able to achieve a 100% battery charge with Vegan? The highest mine ever gets is 97% with the green light on. I've reset the battery stats in CWM, and that doesn't seem to do much of anything for it. Not that it's a big deal...but then again, my charger makes a high-pitched whining sound that I need to email Viewsonic about anyways...

I think its a Gingerbread thing. G-Harmony-Gingerbread does the same thing.