[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Is anyone else never able to achieve a 100% battery charge with Vegan? The highest mine ever gets is 97% with the green light on. I've reset the battery stats in CWM, and that doesn't seem to do much of anything for it. Not that it's a big deal...but then again, my charger makes a high-pitched whining sound that I need to email Viewsonic about anyways...

I have actually seen this reported some other places as well. One thing to try is once you get to that point, leave it on the charger and power down all the way. You may notice that your green light goes back to RED, then you get your remaining charge to the device and after green you can power back on.

i think it is basically saying if it is on...then you can't really be at 100%.

sunny1220

May 17, 2011
Hello! I got up to step 12 and installed the zip file, but then CWM says:
"Install from sdcard complete" and nothing happens after that- the screen stays black and stays in CWM. Nothing boots up or anything. What do I need to do from here? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks!

Update: nevermind I got it, just had to clear the caches, etc and reboot. This thing ROCKS. one hundred times better than the stock OS.

Last edited:

xKurzx

Apr 21, 2011
Just flashed my gtab yesterday n it was dream before but now its faster then ever ndoes anyone know a good web browser cause thats the only thing thestock os did well with LOL go figure

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I also really like the Miren browser.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
I have tried the following, Opera mobile and Mini, and Firefox. All are great browsers, Opera Mini is probably faster then the others IMO (have not put a stop watch on it). But each of those had a minor issue with one web site or another, for some reason. The Dolphin seems to have over come all of those minor issues. I have not yet tried the Miren Browser yet. So for what it is worth My vote goes for the Dolphin. I use my tab for work alot so a reliable browser is essential.

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
I have had the RC1 ROM installed for a week or so now... works great for me. Just for giggles, tried to boot into CW MOD by depressing the vol + & PWR buttons... the green "download" box shows but then switches to the Viewsonic Birds and boots normally to RC1. Is this normal behavior after following the instructions at the top of this thread? Should I re-install CW MOD 0.8? I think this would be needed if taking the next step and updating a "kernel"...

BTW - at the bottom there is the note regarding seeing SDInternal, SD2 and USB stick from the PC... is this after installing the...

- - - - QUOTE - - - -

Edit 5/1/2011:
Updated Kernel 04/30/2011:
http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernel..._fp-043011.zip
(This latest kernel also works with latest CM7)
Pershoot Main Site : Droid Basement
Just boot up in CWM and flash. Remember, straight up, no clearing anything just install from zip.

Pleasant Surprise: Upon connecting the tablet to a PC, the PC sees both internal (SDCARD) and external (SDCARD2). And according to Pershoot, if USB disk is connected, the PC would see that too.

- - - - END QUOTE - - - -

Thanks for helping - Dan

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Dan,

Perhaps you missed step <16>:
- - - Quote - - -
16> Install CWM. See <2> above. When we flash the stock 3588, it wipes out CMW. Therefore, we need to re-install it.
17> Power off and boot into CWM. Flash the 'pershoot' kernel (or any other kernel of choice - remember, straight up, no clearing anything just install from zip). Recommended setting for the SetCPU is : CPU setting at 1.4 max and 456 min.
18> Gojimi released the latest VTL Launcher v1.6.2 (2nd link above). Install it then select 'com.vtlab.launcher' as the default (the other, com.android.launcher is the beta version which was packed with the rom).

- - - END QUOTE - - -

You need to install the Pershoot kernel in order to see both sdcards.
In addition, Gojimi released newer vtl launcher. Thread in the first post.

Dave,

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I installed this ROM last night. I was running CM7. The ROM seems really fast and responsive.I haven't run it through the full paces yet, but Market, browser, Pulse, etc. are very responsive. I'm also getting better wifi connectivity.

One question though, I ran Quandrant and got a terrible score of 1100. I figured there was no way that was accurate but I thought it was weird. Is there a known issue with Quandrant or is it just something buggy with me?

Anyway, dirrections were perfect, thank you.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
remember Quadrant runs as a snapshot tool, and doesn't take anything running or happening on your tab into account. i have run it 3 -5 times in a row and gotten a range of values across almost 600 points at times. If you didn't right after a rebuild if your tablet hadn't stabilized yet that may account for your score being so low.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
Thanks Peter. I knew there was no way, judging by responsiveness, that the number was accurate. I'll run it again over the weekend and see.

I like the layout of this ROM alot with the 3 app bars, though now I have to figure out how to fill up the home screens!

MobyWan

May 21, 2011
Hello,
Just joined this forum, but have been reading it for the last week or so.. You guys rock!
I installed Gingerbread on my GTab last night. Had Vegan 5.1 on it before. Since I have isntalled it - wierd things have been happening: Laggy video - or no video at all, and really SLOW boot time (over 1 min) are the biggest issues. Anyone have any idea why? I think I followed the install to a t. Would a re-install help? or??
Much appreciated in advance!

steelers4582

Jan 12, 2011
I installed the ROM last night with no problems. Today I opened up the "ROM Manager" app and accidently flashed CWM 2.5.1.8. Now I can't boot into Recovery mode. At startup, it says it is going into recovery mode but just continues to boot the OS. How do I revert back to CWM V08?

steelers4582

Jan 12, 2011
I installed the ROM last night with no problems. Today I opened up the "ROM Manager" app and accidently flashed CWM 2.5.1.8. Now I can't boot into Recovery mode. At startup, it says it is going into recovery mode but just continues to boot the OS. How do I revert back to CWM V08?

I was able to get it reverted by following [GUIDE] To installing ClockWorkMod (CWM) on the G-Tablet - [GTABLET/ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com and [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers

It was a pain, but I got it all working again

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
@myDave... still running the stock kernel with Vegan-Gingerbread RC1 i.e. never upgraded the kernel... everything has been running well...
now I am considering venturing into unknown territory and upgrade my "kernel"... at the bottom of the 1st entry under the 5/1/2011 edit,
you talk about pershoot's kernel flash and refer to the site... following is an excerpt...

- - - - excerpt - - - -
ViewSonic Gtab/Malata Zpad (Froyo):
boot-cm_2632.40-oc-uv-xtra-vfpv3_fp-051311.zip
Download: boot-cm_2632.40-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip

lib-2632.40.tar.gz (kernel modules)
Download: lib-2632.40.tar.gz

ViewSonic Gtab/Malata Zpad (Gingerbread):
boot-cm_2632.40_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip
Download: boot-cm_2632.40_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip

lib-2632.40_gb.tar.gz (kernel modules)
Download: lib-2632.40_gb.tar.gz

Note (from proengin for Malata Zpad):
You should be on CWM0.8 (bekit)
The bootloader.bin must match CWM0.8 (bekit)

ViewSonic Gtab/Malata Zpad [New Bootloader] (Froyo):
boot-cm_2632.40_newbl-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip
Download: boot-cm_2632.40_newbl-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip

lib-2632.40.tar.gz (kernel modules)
Download: lib-2632.40.tar.gz

ViewSonic Gtab/Malata Zpad [New Bootloader] (Gingerbread):
boot-cm_2632.40_gb_newbl-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip
Download: boot-cm_2632.40_gb_newbl-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip

- - - - END excerpt - - - -

I think since being on Vegan-Gingerbread RC1 and never flashing the kernel from stock that the following should be used

ViewSonic Gtab/Malata Zpad (Gingerbread):
boot-cm_2632.40_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip
Download: boot-cm_2632.40_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip

Reading the above leads me to believe that both of these downloaded files should be flashed.
So do I boot into CWMOD 0.8 flash the 1st download reboot, turn off, then CWMOD again prior to
installing the lib-26532... download?

What does the lib-26532... do?

Will all the functionally I am currently enjoying remain?

Thanks for you time... Dan