Root !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ElixiR

Dec 26, 2011
Thanks for responding.

I've come to this realization that my software V.I.A. Plus 1.4 is locked. BUMMER. My friend has a nook and you can boot from sd card to honeycomb/nookiefroyo...Would this be at all possible with the VTAB? I'm going to try with no expectations with the same card.

I believe that the build version is what is preventing the current root method. After reviewing my own VTAB and reading the entire posts of other threads it seems as if Vizio pushed an OTA update stating that it is V.I.A. v1.5. Mine was unsuccessful in updating to v1.5 but the BUILD number did change... WAS: 1.9.56 NOW: 1.9.57. This closes the availability of the root access... (for now). An update.zip file was posted by someone else in the XDA forums but it too, has the 1.9.57 build. Unless root access is obtained I don't believe it is possible to have the VTAB (or most other "corporate" builds of Android and respective boot loaders) to load an update.zip file that is not provided by the manufacturer.

fadefx

Nov 27, 2011
I believe that the build version is what is preventing the current root method. After reviewing my own VTAB and reading the entire posts of other threads it seems as if Vizio pushed an OTA update stating that it is V.I.A. v1.5. Mine was unsuccessful in updating to v1.5 but the BUILD number did change... WAS: 1.9.56 NOW: 1.9.57. This closes the availability of the root access... (for now). An update.zip file was posted by someone else in the XDA forums but it too, has the 1.9.57 build. Unless root access is obtained I don't believe it is possible to have the VTAB (or most other "corporate" builds of Android and respective boot loaders) to load an update.zip file that is not provided by the manufacturer.

Inam currently trying with justin case to get his very own rooting method for the kindle fire to run on the vtab, please be patient, i will get back as soon as we have a first version ready for testing.

----------------------------------------
tapatalked from GalaxyS

bodasefus4u

Dec 23, 2011
I guess I am feeling stupid... I am new to tablets... I have the 1008 with a 32gig sd card...

What is Rooting??? and what will it do for me???

Thanks
Russ

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Rooting gives you "super-user" privileges to change files now protected by the Android operating system. Two of the big things you can do with a rooted VTAB are to allow it to detect ad hoc networks produced by cell phones and to reconfigure the OS so apps can be installed and run on the actual SD card. Unfortunately, right now, as you can read above, VTABs with the latest update, cannot yet be rooted. But I'm sure some XDA folks are working on it!

Metroid1

Dec 20, 2011
I have been tethering my tablet to my rooted cyanogen droid x for weeks. What do you mean it needs to be rooted to detect it?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have been tethering my tablet to my rooted cyanogen droid x for weeks. What do you mean it needs to be rooted to detect it?

It needs to be rooted to detect ad hoc networks, which is the only way that many phones will allow tethering.

Metroid1

Dec 20, 2011
I understand what you are saying; but unless my way of tethering is not adhoc then my vtab is picking up adhoc and connectiong to it. So does my sisters fire.

mui

Nov 28, 2011
I have a Mytouch 4G with Cyanogen mod, when I use the wireless tether for root app I'm not able to tether the phone to the vtab however if I use the wireless tether option built into Cm7 then I can tether no problem.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I haven't read the specification but I assume that CyanogenMod's wifi hotspot is using an infrastructure mode to tether in that case. According to the Market page (https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether) Wireless Tether for Root Users primarily supports adhoc tethering and infrastructure on select devices. You might be able to change the app settings to infrastructure to tether both through the app and the CM7 hotspot.