VTAB1008 Android 3.2.1

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Do not have as much tech knowledge as posters .... hope someone can help me with this question? I installed the update on vizio tablet and wish I hadn't. I use the tablet mostly for reading and crosswords. The crossword app I was using was great before update - could see everything clearly (had adjusted fonts, etc.). Now the app is displayed differently, much smaller and frustrating. Is there a way for me to reverse the update?

There is no way to reverse the update at this time. You can see if there is a zoom button in the lower right when you are in your crossword app. Also you can try different crossword apps and see if you can find one that is properly sized for the tablet.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
You should find an icon to the right of the time at the bottom of the screen that will zoom or stretch. Unfortunately one is what you are seeing (small) and the other is too big and a bit fuzzy.

Last edited:

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
I got the OS update on Friday night and ran with it. Everything seems quicker so far but have discovered issues with mpeg4 movies having errors and some issues with the SD card. Will conitnue to investigate. Otherwise pretty nice.

Jim

Try using mx video player for mp4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bbrider74

Mar 20, 2012
I updated my kid's tablets -- they immediately started complaining about the mp4 files (streaming from my Mezzmo DLNA server) pausing frequently. Is this what you're seeing?

I set them up with MX Player, and it seems to help (in fast software decode mode)

MX Player also has a hardware decode mode -- it seems to work fine on some MP4 files, but others just get audio.

I had the same problem and unistalled it, reinstalled it, and downloaded the codec for it, but it still stuttered video/audio. I downloaded Google Play Movies and it works fine so far with the same movie I was trying before. I only have one movie on my tablet so I wasn't able to test different ones to see if MX worked with other movies.

AaronAbasolo

Mar 22, 2012
I updated mine immediately when offered on the 14th; I had wanted to root because of the SD card problem, but after upgrading the O/S it now "sees" the REAL micro SD card. I changed my preferences in the settings to install to the SD card, then uninstalled MapDroyd (which had used the "internal" SD, making me unable to download ALL the maps), then reinstalled it from the market; now it lets me select all maps (7215MB), and is happy to download them to my 16GB uSD card. So, the biggest reason for needing to root it has been remedied, but I's still like to root it if anyone figures out how, to allow Avast Security's firewall to work.

So far I'm fairly happy with the O/S update, but not happy that the old control buttons are now taking up screen space.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Much of this may have been covered in this long thread, but I'm gona ask here and hope for the best.
I sold my Vtab1008 to my brother and he is getting notification of the update every time he turns the tablet on.
So I have some questions. Since many people seem to be having issues with the update but the reasons behind them are not clear.

1. The tablet is not rooted, so first question is for all those who had un-rooted tablets, has the upgrade buggered your tablet in any way?
2. Next question is, I see there is a issue with the SD card. This tablet has a 32gig MicroSD in it. I was using and my brother still is using AndroidAssistant to move apps from the tablet to the MicroSD card. AA does not move the entire app just a large portion of it to the MSDCard. Does anyone know if this still works or has Honeycomb changed this.
3. When doing the update should he remove the MSDCard from the tablet or does it need to be left in for some reason?
4. Has anything changed with Android Navigator?
5. Any other need to knows about the update that may end up being a deal breaker where doing the update is concerned?

I sold the tablet to him in like new condition with a nice portfolio and a 32gig MSDCard for 200.00. It runs very well and I don't want to give him a thumbs up on the update if it is going to brick the device or take away use of the MSDCard.
All comments welcome.
Thanks AFF.

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
Much of this may have been covered in this long thread, but I'm gona ask here and hope for the best.
I sold my Vtab1008 to my brother and he is getting notification of the update every time he turns the tablet on.
So I have some questions. Since many people seem to be having issues with the update but the reasons behind them are not clear.

1. The tablet is not rooted, so first question is for all those who had un-rooted tablets, has the upgrade buggered your tablet in any way?

No problems with my update. Really enjoying the update features.

2. Next question is, I see there is a issue with the SD card. This tablet has a 32gig MicroSD in it. I was using and my brother still is using AndroidAssistant to move apps from the tablet to the MicroSD card. AA does not move the entire app just a large portion of it to the MSDCard. Does anyone know if this still works or has Honeycomb changed this.

I changed my default storage to external SD card and tried to move everything there. Some apps will not operate from the SD card so I am moving those apps back to the internal storage.
Honeycomb update made the external SD card much more friendly.

3. When doing the update should he remove the MSDCard from the tablet or does it need to be left in for some reason?

I do not know. I left my 16GB MSD card in the machine during update with no ill effects.

4. Has anything changed with Android Navigator?

I do not know.

5. Any other need to knows about the update that may end up being a deal breaker where doing the update is concerned?

I really like the new operation of the Vizio after the update. No reason to look back.

I sold the tablet to him in like new condition with a nice portfolio and a 32gig MSDCard for 200.00. It runs very well and I don't want to give him a thumbs up on the update if it is going to brick the device or take away use of the MSDCard.
All comments welcome.
Thanks AFF.

See my notes in red in the body of your questions.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
With the exception of a few minor glitches that a reboot cured I would say the HC update is a major plus. It does seem that the ESPN streaming service doesn't work now and a few other streaming services seem not to work(sorry I read that here but can not remember which ones) but all in all HC has really speed up my Vtab and the major problem of storage is now fixed.

On a side note Vizio seems to know there are a few glitches with video and streaming. I called to see if they were going to support MLB TV and the tech said there is a few video issues they are working on a firmware update to fix. Of coarse it could take a while since we did here HC was coming for several months. The good news is Vizio has updated the Vtab several times and I suspect they will support it for awhile since they are getting ready to launch a 10 inch tablet and I bet the Vtab is being used to some extent as a test platform.

Jim

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Thanks, one video service that would be a breaker is Netflix, if that broke after the update...... well I cant say how bad that would be, but it would for sure not be good.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
I am pretty sure Netflix and Hulu still work. I remember in a previous thread that they worked but I will try Netfilx when I get home to make sure and post here if someone hasn't already confirmed they work.

Jim

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I unfroze the updater to see if I might have the option of going straight to HC. So far no luck, the 1.5 update is bugging the crap out of me though. I forgot how bad it was before I froze the updater :(