Which tablet did you buy and why?

bmchan

Aug 4, 2010
I bought the Samsung GT 10.1 two weeks ago. The first week it was extremely fast. It seemed to pull my wifi signal extemely well even if it was weak. Then the Gingerbread update came and it crawled. I could be sitting next to my router and it took FOREVER to download anyting and lost the server connection 50% of the time. I tried tweaking the router settings (Linksys) and for me that is just over my head. Nothing worked.

I was getting ready to return to BB and I had cleaned everything off when I found a Samsung troubleshooting guide that suggested a factory restore as a last step. I did that and it is screaming again. All of your apps are stored at Google so you don't lose any apps - just data/pics etc. which I had not loaded.

This tablet has replaced my home PC (except for gaming and some email accounts) and my smartphone. Some of the widgets are tremendous (News 360). I wanted an Android OS as I detest MS and don't think they will ever be a player in the tablet market, and I like apple but the open OS is much more appealing to me.

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Gingerbread,don't you mean Honeycomb? The new update is the Whiz update.. Mine is totally updated and I have zero problems,strong internet connection and the tab itself is very fast.. I've only owned it for 3 days tho.. So we'll see.. But so far I'm loving it.. Won't ever replace my pc tho..

bmchan

Aug 4, 2010
You are correct - the Whiz update. I avoided the Xoom based on feedback like yours (bricked). I think Moto's next attempt will be much improved. I almost waited for the new Amazon tablet but there will always be something new on the horizon for us to lust after.

rickio

May 14, 2011
Wow you were so into xoom I'm surprissed you switched xoom1!
I'm excited as i go pickup my galaxy tab 10.1 today :)

Sent from my MID7024 using Android Tablet Forum

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
This is the deal. I never got to feel any tablet without it having something on the back that made it feel heavier than it really was.. There was sales girl walking around with a galaxy 10.1 in white.. She had to do something so she let me use it for a while.. I loved it. I love the touch sense on it also.. Xoom didn't have that. just ordered a nest and 6.5 ft cable for the galaxy.. I also got the bestbuy buy back,so I can upgrade when a better one comes out.. win win! :)

rickio

May 14, 2011
Hey xoom1. What apps have you installed? Im seeing many apps i have used on my coby wont install on this samsung

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
I haven't downloaded lot yet. installing apps for phones on tabs is hit or miss. I have a few games and news apps . Im still learning myself .

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
Im lookin to get the Galaxy tab 10.1, but i hear things that scare me... like does it have expandable memory? anyways, I hear plenty of good things about the tab 10.1... would you guys mind telling the flaws of it and glitches and things you dont like about it? gosh, there are so many tablets, idk which is the best, and best to choose for me...

Last edited:

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
I think the Galaxy is the best.. Transformer isn't bad either.. The galaxy feels so good in your hands,light,best screen. They have a usb adapter for it you can buy for $20.. They will be coming out with an micro sd adapter also.. The iconia is ok,but bulkier and the thrive has all the ports built in with a removable battery but that thing is bulky and heavy.. I personally hate the chrome around the camera also on the front..

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
have you experienced any issues with the tab 10.1? cause i looked on some forums and it feels like a good amount of people have issues with it (not booting up, freezing, crashing, etc.) and it scares me from buying it.... of course, it was a tab 10.1 forum, therefore i guess people going there for help is expected and im just blowing it out of proportion.. anyways, what is the thing you like the least about it?

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
I've had zero issues.. My Xoom bricked,what does that tell ya? lol Where are you going to buy it from?

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
i was planning on getting it at best buy
the reveiws on best buys website scare me a bit sometimes... one guy says it freezes on him all the time... stuff like that... man, if i had 100% assurance this would work right, and last the 4-5 years i need it to (although im sure i could muster up the money for a new replacement in 2-3 years haha) like an ipad will... i would definitely get it...
and does me getting the wifi only version make a difference with the software and how it performs and updates and stuff?

Edit: the amount of screen freezing issues i have heard about alarms me... although the new touchwiz update i hear may have fixed all the biggest issues with the tab 10.1... lets hope that true... i hope i can get some confirmation soon on whether the issues are truely fixed/being fixed...

Last edited:

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Your thinking way too much! The reason why I asked where you were getting it from was because I was going to suggest bestbuy.. That's where I got mine.. Lets be honest,you aren't going to have that thing for 4-5 yrs.. more like 6 months.. Do what I did,get the 1 year black tie warranty that covers everything.. Then pay $25 to get the buy back program.. I'll have mine till the next one comes out,trade it in for 50% of what I paid,which will be $250 and then pay the rest and I have a new tab.. That's the only reason I bought a tablet to begin with.. They get outdated faster than computers.. Plus,realistically a tablet isn't anything I really need,just a new toy.. :)

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
yeah, i tend to over think things often... and i plan on making this new tablet last as long as i possibly can... like using it until it breaks down, then i will get a new one... for me it matters cause i wont have the money to get a new one everytime a new one comes out, so i want something that will last more than long enough for me to save up enough money to buy a new one... and with my current jobless status, it will be a challenge... plus in college it will definitely be a challenge to raise up enough money to get a new one... anyways, the reason i am getting a tablet is because i am ADHD and, since tablets keep my hands busy, it helps make me focus on what im doing rather than everything around me... anyways, im thinking ill get the tab 10.1... but i am still shaky with the screen freezing issues i hear about and stuff...

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Don't worry about the screen freezing.. For every one person that says it freezes there are 1,000 that don't.. Plus if you get the warranty from bestbuy,you would be stupid not to..it won't be an issue...You just take it back get a new one.. But spend the $25 on the upgrade program,because even tho you don't think you will upgrade,your situation might change that will make you able to upgrade,just my 2 cents.. Funny,I have some ADHD also.. and I'm 42.. lol