Calling All Terminal Hackers

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Hope I'm not doubling a thread.

This is specifically aimed at those who've installed the "Google Experience" package.

Ok, open the Terminal, type su for superuser permissions.

Type the command pm

Hide the keyboard, the Terminal window will scroll.

Type pm list packages

This will show the list of installed apps & services...etc.

There's one that came with this package that's running all the time and it's a battery sucker, it's Voice Search. In android speak it's com.google.android.voicesearch

Going to see if I can either disable or uninstall using the pm command.

More tomorrow.

Clancy-

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Success! pm disable com.google.android.voicesearch

Warning, I had some erratic behavior until I performed a reset, other apps or services may have been hooked into voicesearch... either that or Taskill which was running at the time didn't like it.

My goal is to be able to dump TasKiller as it's a battery tap as well.

Clancy-

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Oops... that didn't work I killed the keyboard! Drat!

Good thing I made a backup!

Clancy-

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Oops... that didn't work I killed the keyboard! Drat!

Good thing I made a backup!

Clancy-

Install a different keyboard, switch to the new keyboard, then remove voice search. I'll find a link to a different keyboard and post it here when I get a chance.

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Install a different keyboard, switch to the new keyboard, then remove voice search. I'll find a link to a different keyboard and post it here when I get a chance.

Hi, that won't do it, if you've loaded the Google Experience file voicesearch is actually the android keyboard service.

I had to revert to the Factory specs.

Clancy

Last edited:

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Good work... let's kill those useless apps installed with the "Experience"
I've had success with the wake up issue this time. When I installed the Experience, I did not accept the three things that the Android Wizard asked if I wanted to accept. I can't remember what they were but I believe they were location hooks etc.
So this time the tablet is not waking up every 15-20 seconds....crossing fingers of course but so far so good.
I also removed a few Google apps in Running services just to make sure and the only thing that changed was I lost the icon to YouTube...!

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I actually removed the voice search file and my Kyros works fine. It indeed includes removing the stock keyboard seeing as the .apk is labeled "GoogleVoiceWithKeyboard". I had Smart Keyboard Pro installed before the removal and it was selected as my default keyboard on the device.

I have had no issues as of yet after deleting the application.