Linux Users, Coby 7042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I just got a 7042 today, came here and to my dismay all help here, so far is only for windows users, "LiveSuite", if you are happy with livesuite you may use it, however it has two major set backs, one it's only for windows users, second if your usb malfunctions you are out of luck.
I have read through most of the 7042 threads, and have taken from them what I needed, "temp root", from that we can do almost anything.

What I will be covering in this thread is how to root, install recovery, install a modified boot.img, install a custom rom. all without using "livesuite"

you will need adb setup and working, I am a Linux user, don't want to use windows to modify my tablets.

Anyway lets begin.

I have added both boot.img and both updates, this covers both know 7042's.

download 7042_root_recovery.zip

7042_root_recovery.zip

extract to your desktop you should have a folder called data, and a text file root_recovery, it contains the following commands. type one command at a time allow each command to finish before typing next command.

The first command is simply coping the contents of the data folder to your tablet, the second command is asking for shell, third and fourth commands are setting permissions, fifth command is sending exploit, sixth command is asking for root permission, seventh command is installing recovery, eight command is booting into recovery.

open a terminal

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su "Note at this point you can backup your system, recovery and boot.img, you don't have to but you might want to, see note 1 below."

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

once in recovery

volume up and down to navigate power to execute. silver button is back.

at this time you should make a backup.

download 7042_boot.zip

7042_boot.zip

7042_boot1.zip

adb push 7042_boot.zip /sdcard

then use recovery to select install zip from sdcard and install it.

reboot

download 7042_update.zip

7042_update.zip

7042_update1.zip

place on sdcard

adb shell reboot-recovery

select install zip from sdcard and install it.

credits

steev

saurik

fun

If there is anyone that I left out of the credits, please let me know so I can give you credit for any work that I might have borrowed.

Note 1 if you want to backup your recovery, boot.img and system before making changes run commands below.
adb shell
su
mkdir /sdcard/dump
cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/dump/7042_system.tar /system

then use either adb pull to put them on your pc, or mount the tablet with the pc.

after recovery is installed

to boot into recovery from shutdown

press an hold volume up + silver button press power release power at coby screen keep holding volume up + silver button until you see cwm screen.

to get into recovery from normal mode download terminal from market

su

reboot-recovery

or from adb shell

reboot-recovery.

Last edited:

jaldabaoth

May 28, 2012
Hi vampirefo, i'm also a linux user. i'm currently using Linux mint and i got a coby 7042. i want to install a custom rom on it (mainly for google apps, play store, etc) and i followed your steps. every step went exactly as you said.
but when the tablet reboots and android starts, the touchscreen doesnt work and i cant even unlock it.

i can see the wallpaper animation moving and when i turn it around the screen turns too. it's just the touchscreen that's not working

would you mind helping me out? i dont know what else to do.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Sounds like your touch screen drivers are different than mine. Restore your boot.img

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This rom includes google maps' as well as a few other apps' coby has two versions of the 7042, so touch screen might not work for everyone right now. I am on vacation, so can't upload the second version. The recovery should work for both versions as touch screen drivers aren't needed.

If you want to know if this version will work for you, pull your boot.img using cat command then get a md5sum of boot.img if your md5sum is 1f7195a361341af391ab3ab2fc9327e6 then this version will work for you. If md5sum is
38e6fa6b89bcc695dd501a88b5008aaf this version won't work for you.

Last edited:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Ty for doing this, I currently have to use another pc which is xp to do this, I am more of a native to linux (ubuntu here) and knowing the howto is out there for this is nice to know. I would thank u but the app for this forum has no way to do that apparently.

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
i cant do this in xp i get a failure at the /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
edit nvmind i got it does .no_confirm work with this ima try
Code:
@echo off

echo Waiting for device...
adb.exe wait-for-device

echo Pushing files...
adb.exe push data /data/local/tmp/
adb.exe shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
adb.exe chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb.exe shell /data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh
adb.exe shell sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb.exe shell /system/bin/reboot-recovery
echo Finished
pause

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Were you able to get the recovery installed? Do you need more help? Do you need to know where to place the no_confirm file? Please post your questions a little more clear.

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
im good man i was just wondering if .no_confirm worked with this version of cwm. now if i could just get this tablet to stop completely freezing... Ive havent had it for 24 hours yet and it has done 4 encryption unsucessfull resets, and i lost count of the times its froze.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Your problems are due to livesuite, that app creates more problems then it solves. I am still on vacation, when I get home I will upload a better rom, it will be the rom I am currently using.

I will do what I can for the people who used livesuite, those that just use my method shouldnt have the problems you all are having. I should have two good roms up this weekend.

Last edited:

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
hope so! just got this kyros at Frys for $98 and i really like it until it freezes from just downloading an app from the market! All the encryption issues i had happened on the other rom flashed through livesuit. i tried watching the logcat when the device froze but it didnt do anything once it froze LOL.. on a side note i got my pc up and running with no issues!! my psu blew up last summer, and i finally replaced it because i wanted my music library. I might try and get an exchange because it pretty useless when it freezes so often.

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
cool. I am having a couple issues with mine after using livesuite, it will get random graphical glitches and some stuff just crashes that ran the day before.My friend is having similar issues.
I was wondering if you can use adb with https://www.virtualbox.org/ image of xp or linux? Looking forward to your ROMs

should i first restore to the original rom and boot before loading the recovery boot and rom using adb?
ahh so they have to be update.zip's. well whenever you can get them sorted out an uploaded, i would love to try it. got abd setup in win 7 so wont need linux now

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
When I get them uploaded they will be update.zip you just need to install cwm to install them, that should work just fine for people who have never used livesuite, for those that have already used livesuite, if just the update.zip and boot.img flash doesn't fix their problem we made need to look at flashing the MBR, this wont be an update.zip this will be adb.

But first try the update.zip before we move to next stage of flashing MBR, you can go ahead and install the cwm recovery if you want. make a backup then flash current rom and boot.img to see how they work for you, this is if you want to. the current rom is going to be replaced with the rom that's on my tablet when I get home.

krash1220

Dec 19, 2010
I'm a linux user as well and have used adb extensively on two (peices of crap) Pandigital tablets. I'm trying to decide whether to get the Coby mid9742-8 as long as I can get google play on it. I understand all of the above commands but am a little confused about what custom recovery aka cwm is. And if these instructions can be used on the 9742-8 version as well as the 7042 version and if you are going to have a 9742 custom rom.