Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
OpenVPN supposedly, which I do not use.

Built these from razor's kernel source.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
As an append, to use CIFS with UTF8, the new Singapore ROM supports it and does not require nls_utf8.ko, but you will need to generate it manually since the latest version of cifsmanager looks for both cifs.ko and nls_utf8.ko when trying to mount a network share.

To mount utf8 drives, just add the option:
iocharset=utf8

To generate ntfs_utf8.ko, I just did 'touch /system/lib/modules/ntfs_utf8.ko' via adb shell in addition to pushing cifs.ko to the same folder.

I have been using QQ player to stream 480P videos from my video server. Killing background tasks before starting actually helps in this case.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Installed cifs.ko, touched ntfs_utf8.ko

Installed cifsmanager

Adding a new share, I get no such device although the mount pointy has been created.

I am using the standard s7 103 system image

Pete, on the move...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It might not be compatible with your firmware version. I might have to recompile one.

Can you verify that it has be loaded correctly by running lsmod via shell?

Fixed my typo. it is actually nls_utf8.ko

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Yep
Touched nls_utf8.ko
Did insmod from command line and bingo

It mounted both a cifs dir on my nas box and also a nfs share from my Linux server

Real cool

Thanks lots

Pete, on the sofa...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
And for anyone who hasn't used this before.

The use of ESFile Explorer with CIFSManager is highly recommended.

I use QQPlayer and VitalPlayer for videoplayback. The Wifi-n of the S7 really helps, but I am still limited to 480P streams even at 1GHz clock. H264 encoded 480P streams may stutter. QQPlayer does RMVB 480p decodes flawlessly. Both players allow for screen resizing.

Turning on airplanemode and wifi at the same time (enabled via wifi airplane tool) gets me more battery life.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
And for anyone who hasn't used this before.

The use of ESFile Explorer with CIFSManager is highly recommended.

I use QQPlayer and VitalPlayer for videoplayback. The Wifi-n of the S7 really helps, but I am still limited to 480P streams even at 1GHz clock. H264 encoded 480P streams may stutter. QQPlayer does RMVB 480p decodes flawlessly. Both players allow for screen resizing.

Turning on airplanemode and wifi at the same time (enabled via wifi airplane tool) gets me more battery life.

airplane mode seems to lock out wifi as well as GSM, which is interesting as on my HTC Hero wifi works fine in airplane mode

regarding the stutter, the wifi speed will depend on the signal strength, as signal drops away the wifi autonegs to lower and lower data rates, you really need iwconfig to find out the actual data rate, I know from experience that I could not run mythtv thru a brick wall, as my 54g modem dropped down to 11 and sometimes 5mbit, I have a second wifi rtr now connected over cat5

I am unsure, but with the limited memory in the S7, that may also be running out, I dunno, but I would imagine that the player caches data, so when the cache fills up, the OS starts doing some maintenance which may have a higher precedence.

Of the two possibilities wifi signal seems the most likely, just tested a wmv using rockplayer, it runs fine when I have line of site to my rtr, but is totally knackered thru the famous brick wall

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
To make wifi work in airplane mode, download 'Airplane Wifi Tool' from the market, then enable both airplane mode, followed by wifi. Now you can enable wifi even in airplane mode.

On wireless n paired with my $40 TPLink WR941N router, it shows 65mbps for me in a 2 story wooden house with the router in the basement. So whatever stuttering is the result of the device being unable to process the data quickly enough.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Have you tried comparing video performance with display of a vid on sdcard?

Pete, on the move...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I would think that the performance is the same. CIFS mounts your network drive as if it is a local drive I thought.

I am too lazy to try to transfer anything over to my SD now that CIFS works so well lol

Berti

Aug 7, 2011
Hello my friends,

I would like to use CifsManager on my S101 so i did the following things:

- installed CifsManager, got some errors;
- rooted the tablet, root acces granted to Cifs Manager, other errors;
- copied cifs.ko and tun.ko from this topic into the sys/lib/modules directory, same error (No such device)
- I can't find nls_utf8.ko, I dont know if this is the reason, but if someone attaches this file, I would give it a try.

Thanks

I'm using Brazilian rom s7v100r001c68b111, and EsFile manager can see my shared folders, but I wish to mount the shared folders, since I can't get a playlist in Winamp with EsFileManager.

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
try skifta. i use skifta to play streamed video and mp3 from my pc /laptop.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 Slim using Tapatalk