Contacts Apps? (NooB question)

slowandsteady

Jan 18, 2011
Does anyone make a standalone contact manager application? I know Google is the default but if you have no wifi and still need address phone number info etc. it would be nice to have it all in a real address book...anyone make one or is there a workaround for this?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
What is your source for the info? There are apps that can sync a local copy of your Exchange contacts, like TouchDown that might work

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Here is the instruction I followed:
If you aren't concerned with them showing up in the B&N Contacts app, and are more interested in having them come up as auto-suggestions when typing an email address or Google Voice text number, there's a way :

Go to gmail on the web, click on contacts (left side), then More Actions, then Export. Choose .vcard format.
Transfer that file to your SD card.

- get a Market app on your Nook called Import Contacts.
Point it to the contacts.vcard file you just got, and they'll now come up for auto-fill suggestions

works slick... with not problem works with both my email and text messages and even when I want to send a article from the news to someone they just POP UP

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Here is the instruction I followed:
If you aren't concerned with them showing up in the B&N Contacts app, and are more interested in having them come up as auto-suggestions when typing an email address or Google Voice text number, there's a way :

Go to gmail on the web, click on contacts (left side), then More Actions, then Export. Choose .vcard format.
Transfer that file to your SD card.

- get a Market app on your Nook called Import Contacts.
Point it to the contacts.vcard file you just got, and they'll now come up for auto-fill suggestions

works slick... with not problem works with both my email and text messages and even when I want to send a article from the news to someone they just POP UP

Tried this one, didn't work for me.

slowandsteady

Jan 18, 2011
What is your source for the info? There are apps that can sync a local copy of your Exchange contacts, like TouchDown that might work

I use Outlook on my PC (personal copy not corporate/enterprise) and have that synced to Google so i guess contact info could come from either place...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Isn't it just possible to export your contact information to a csv file, then copy to the tablet and import it to an app there? There's no need to contact Google. You sync it all before leaving home.

Redhawk

Feb 7, 2011
I use an app called Navdress Book. And imported my gmal contacts and edited them to my liking. Works really well.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Redhawk. I tried the Navdress app which seems like a perfect solution but cannot get it to import my outlook contacts. Keeps giving me a error during import. I exported my outlook contacts to a csv file. Then copied to the root of my sd card and imported with the email csv import command. After a few seconds gives me an error. No other detail

Any thoughts? Really woul like this to work. I can do most things on my nc except look up a phone number!

Nc 1.1 with 1100 kernel running great

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Isn't there something with an alphabetic thing you can tap to go to the first letter? The contacts app has the slider, but you've gotta tap a contact to see the phone number and that's too much to lookup a phone number quickly. I'm really tired of swiping the screen to go to the end of the alphabet.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I was just able to import my contacts from a CSV file with Navdress.

FWIW, When you work with CSV files, it's important to have all the fields the same length (even blank fields) so the importing program stays happy. You can use MS Excel to view the file, remove fields ( columns) that are totally empty, an correct anything else.

I'm not really impressed with Navdress as you still have to open a contact to view it's information. I prefer the way Agendus address book for Palm looks and works. It would be nice to be albe to specify a contact's primary contact item, like a phone number or email address, and if you need anything else for that contact, you open it totally.

The GPS feature of Navdress is cool tho. I can see how it would come in handy.

Here's an example of what I'd like to see in an address book app. Notice the last entry has an email address as the primary contact info.

$address book.JPG

Last edited:

MacGail

Jun 11, 2011
Is it possible to sync with gmail contacts, and then have them accessible when you aren't connected to the internet?

pustyak

May 10, 2011
I am also interested in the question of the OP. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are there any contact apps that DON'T sync with Google? I'm just not comfortable storing my information "in the cloud." Syncing with my pc would be ok though.

EDIT: I know there are work arounds in the syncing apps for storing contacts locally, but I don't like that the default is to sync with Google.

Last edited: