tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
57_243_1.jpg

WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET
CMP738A

Source: Craig Electroinics

FEATURES & SPECS
7 inch Digital Touch Screen (800 x 480 , 16:9)
Processor Speed 700MHz
Operating System : Powered By Google Android 2.2, Flash 8
4 GB Built-in Flash Memory
Built-in 256MB DDR II RAM
Built-in WIFI (54Mps)
Support Video Format : MKV/AVI/RM/RMVB/FLV/WMV/MP4/MPG/VOB (Up to 720p)
Support Audio Format : MP3/WMA/WAV
Support Photo Format : JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG
Support e-Reader Format : PDF/PDF DRM/TXT/EPUB/EPUB DRM/HTML/FB2
Automatically Rotate Function
Mini HDMI AV Out Jack (720p)
Mini USB to Connect to Computer
USB Host
Landscape to Portrait Screen Function
Built-in Rechargeable Battery
Built-in Speaker & Microphone
Micro SD Card Slot (Support Max. 32GB)
Supports Browser, e-Book Reader, e-Mail, Photos, Maps, Video, YouTube, Facebook, Music, SlideME Marketplace, Clock
3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack
3G Ready (For USB Connection)
Can Connect With PC as a Storage Drive

Rohn123

Mar 19, 2011
Is it Android 2.2 or 2.1. On the Craig site it shows 2.2 os but the download states firmware 2.1. This is important of course since 2.1 will not do flash 10.1 and so no CNN video etc. So how do we get 2.2 for this sucker. I just recently flashed the update but it will not do the flash because again it is 2.1 even though Craig says the os is 2.2...Roh

ktalley

Mar 28, 2011
Is it Android 2.2 or 2.1. On the Craig site it shows 2.2 os but the download states firmware 2.1. This is important of course since 2.1 will not do flash 10.1 and so no CNN video etc. So how do we get 2.2 for this sucker. I just recently flashed the update but it will not do the flash because again it is 2.1 even though Craig says the os is 2.2...Roh

According to Craig Customer Service (who respond to my email in a couple of hours last week), the 2.2 firmware upgrade/update should be posted "in a few days" -- so my hope if that means this upcoming week (fingers crossed!).

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
It's odd why post 2.1 if your going to post 2.2 firmware.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Is it Android 2.2 or 2.1. On the Craig site it shows 2.2 os but the download states firmware 2.1. This is important of course since 2.1 will not do flash 10.1 and so no CNN- video etc. So how do we get 2.2 for this sucker. I just recently flashed the update but it will not do the flash because again it is 2.1 even though Craig says the os is 2.2...Roh

Did you try Shad's Froyo (Android 2.2) ROM? I haven't flashed it yet, but he did one Froyo version that still had a few bugs, from what I gather. I'll probably give it a try soon, just to say I gave it a spin.

Start EDIT

On future Flash compatibility, I saw on another forum that somebody with a Rockchip 2818-based tablet claimed to be running Flash 10. But I have not tried it. Other people with that same tablet said it was running Flash very slowly or not at all. So, we might be able to run the earliest versions of Flash of 10 someday. But looking at what Craig has said (Tipstir's first post in the thread), they are only says that Flash 8 will run on this thing.

That sounds right to me, because the latest Flash 10.2 versions requiring a faster chip than what the Craig CMP738a is running (per the Android hardware system requirements listed on Adobe's web site). The latest Flash really only runs on newer and higher-end Android devices...a lot of early Android phones are listed as "not compatible".

End EDIT

FWIW - I am using version 4.3 update of Shad's Eclair and it is really stable for me so far.

The ONLY problem that I now have has nothing to do with the Craig or the work that Shad did. There is a well-known bug in the Android 2.1 Webkit libraries which keeps me from connecting my Craig to a certain Wifi router that I really would like to connect to. This bug in the Android 2.1 source code that was supposedly fixed in 2.2. That's the only reason I will give Froyo a spin, really. Otherwise, I am very happy with Shad's 4.3 Eclair ROM. :)

Too bad his Craig died and he won't be doing any more ROM updates. :(

Last edited:

yasmine3384

Sep 29, 2011
im getting this tablet from cvs soon and i was wondering if the market it came with has good game apps like angry birds for free is it doesnt how do i get the android market? also do u need wifi to go on the youtube app or facebook app?