Greetings and a Request for Assistance

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Is it not powering on because the internal function to charge the battery has been mess up and battery is dead? Idk. That is why I was wondering if when it was plugged into a computer if it recognized the device at all or would charge via usb maybe.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks again I'll be back in about 2 hrs (but online with my cr-48) so keep me posted.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
My pc does not recognize it when it is plugged in. As of yet but I will try again soon.... TX, LS

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
If stelv is right, you may have to open up the nook and connect a charger directly to the battery leads. If it's soldered directly to the board you'll have to be VERY careful and precise when doing this. Directly connecting a charger may get it started back up for repair purposes.
Caution: with a charger connected directly to the battery, you will be bypassing any charging circuit cutoff switches that may be present. Do not leave the device in this state too long or you can possibly damage the battery.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If stelv is right, you may have to open up the nook and connect a charger directly to the battery leads. If it's soldered directly to the board you'll have to be VERY careful and precise when doing this. Directly connecting a charger may get it started back up for repair purposes.
Caution: with a charger connected directly to the battery, you will be bypassing any charging circuit cutoff switches that may be present. Do not leave the device in this state too long or you can possibly damage the battery.

Okay, now we are reaching a totally new level here!

Maybe try another USB in the comp...it won't charge as fast...it could be there there is a bent pin or something...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
It's not a matter of it not charging it is not powering up at all. Also I am no where near wanting to open this thing up. I will if I have to but only after I have exhausted all other avenues.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Alright I purchased a brand new 8gb class 4 mSD. I am going to try the CWR removal routine another time with a fresh sd card. I got a glimmer of hope when after plugging the NC into my computer the driver install window popped up and said unable to install drivers. I'm not sure which driver because the window just flashed up for a second. But it seems to me it is a step in the right direction. I am also going to retry some of the other methods mentioned above. Again any further suggestions are welcomed and encouraged.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You can ignore the message about the drivers. I think your device isn't powering on because the battery is dead from trying to fix it. It is a good sign that the computer recognized the device. Before you go through the CWR removal, leave it plugged into computer for 20 mins or so to see if it needs a charge, then unplug it, and go ahead with CWR removal.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Alright I'll give it a shot. It was fully charged overnight but I noticed that after a few attempts a powering it up the charge light would stay yellow. I also booted my laptop with an Ubuntu Live cd. I am not all that familiar with it (UB)but I was having trouble writing an image in win764 so I figure its worth a go. That was one of the issues I was having before was after I wrote the image to the sd my system would not recognize it. So I could not add the recovery zip. Any ideas/input on that? Probably just win7.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Yes and no. I have a PBG4 with 10.4 but I will have to find a card reader. Just curious as to why that would be better that UB? I should mention I have a lot of different computers/configurations at my disposal. I am actually supposed to be building a couple as we speak but the NC has taken precedence over all others.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes and no. I have a PBG4 with 10.4 but I will have to find a card reader. Just curious as to why that would be better that UB? I should mention I have a lot of different computers/configurations at my disposal. I am actually supposed to be building a couple as we speak but the NC has taken precedence over all others.

Well it might be better to use PC actually as Vic's guide is written for PC.

On a side note...I know when I was burning a Autonooter Image with my iMac through terminal there was a script missing before the dd commands on Nookdevs. It was "cd Desktop". This is so it can find the image to burn, which was on my desktop. I am not sure if this is needed in the CWR removal process that Vic has written out, if using a Mac or Linux.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Still nothing... I am a little busy with some other things at present I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and encouragement. I have not given up hope just have to get some stuff done.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I didn't see this mentioned, but when you have the NC plugged into either the charger or the computer via usb - does the little N on the charger cord light up?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I didn't see this mentioned, but when you have the NC plugged into either the charger or the computer via usb - does the little N on the charger cord light up?
Indeed and I am glad you asked. The indicator has been functioning normally as far as I can tell but the weird thing is I I leave it unplugged for a while without messing with it at all (i been in and out all day) when I plug it back in it takes a while for it to turn green. You follow? Some thing seems to be draining the battery even when it is not on. Or at least doesn't appear to be on. I haven't messed with it in a bit, I have two pcs to build so I kinda got my hands full. Actually I took a couple pictures of the tech wasteland I am in teh middle of right now and when I have an extra hand( all four are busy right now and my hover boots are in the shop) I will upload them so you guys can have a laugh. Sorry for the ramble been a long day.