(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
Need more info:
-What rom are you running? ?? I haven't loaded anything special yet...I think maybe that's the step I missed?:confused:
-Are you running a rom from sd or internal?
-What is on the sd cards? Nothing but WMPInfo and netsetup.
-Is your CWM recovery installed on sd or internally? Internally

You possibly just messed up you boot files a bit. Have you tried turning the NC off then turning back on. Does it still boot into CWM recovery? Yes and Yes

If you messed up CWM recovery and can't boot to it

1) Create a bootable CWM SD card from the link above.
2) Mount the SD card on your computer and copy the RecoveryFix.zip file to it.
3) Boot the Nook into CWM from the SD card.
4) Choose "install zip from sdcard"
5) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
6) Browse to the RecoveryFix.zip and select it.
7) Choose "Yes - Install RecoveryFix.zip"

CWM should now work by booting and holding the N + Power buttons.
You can find the recoveryfix file RecoveryFix.zip

If you still just boot into CWM recovery, just remove CWM recovery to restore the stock recovery I will try this step and update my post.

-Download the removecwr.zip file from HERE
-Put this zip file on your SD Card (DO NOT EXTRACT IT, JUST COPY THE ZIP TO THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD)
Another question about this step...am I just dragging this from my downloads file into my SD folder or do I have to put it into another sub folder of some sort...right now the only thing the folder has in it is WMPInfo and netsetup. These aren't folders though I'm noticing. BTW is this how I messed up my other SD card, by deleting those two things?? If so is there a way to get them back and fix my new SD card??

One other thing about this step....when do I use this zip file or does it just do something on it's own when the card is inserted?
-Turn off your NC
-Insert your SD card and restart the NC
-Once in CWR, use volume up and down buttons to scroll up and down the menu list
-Scroll down to "wipe cache partition"
-Press "n" button to enter or go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe cache"
-Press "n" button to execute
-Once complete, you will be back to main menu
When I complete this step it says "Cache wipe complete." But under that says E:Can't mount/cache/recovery/log and a couple other similar things...then it just powers down and reboots again.????
-Scroll down to "advanced"
-Press "n" button to enter
-Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to execute
I did try advancing and doing these steps too and they seemed to work but then it wouldn't let me just press the power button to get back to the main menu...I had to hold the power button for several seconds to get it to turn off, I selected Reboot system now but it just powered off again.
-Once complete, press power button to go back to main menu

-Select reboot system now

You should now be rebooting normally into your NC and your system should still be completely rooted.
Then re-install CWM recovery and preform another backup.

Stopping a backup or restore mid stream is really not a big deal, I've done it a few times without issue. You issue may be with the sd cards, so knowing what was on the second sd card may be important in trouble shooting your issue.

Once you get sorted out you really need to do the backup again since you can't use the "restore:" feature if you restore files are on two different sd cards.
LMK if there's anything else with the info I gave you please. TYSVM!!

Last edited:

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
I'll be honest....I wish I hadn't fiddled with CWM. The root process itself was rather simple that if my NC had been put back to factory settings by a BN update, I could easily redo it again. I'm sure I'm too much of a newb myself that maybe I just don't get the benefit. I've really messed up my NC since fiddling with the CWM process as you can see by my posts above and can't even get it to open up normal right now. I'm praying I can get this fixed and didn't just totally mess up my NC. I really just want a couple game apps on it and maybe a nice calendar feature. I was just trying to figure out how to get my game apps on my home page like I've seen in all the pics of rooted nooks. It sounds like the only thing you'd have to "redo" if an update from B&N comes is your calendar/gmail stuff. If that's the case, I'd leave it alone with what you have. Just my $.02 though.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hi all. Apologize in advance for the long post and questions.

I just finished reading this entire thread. Literally- all 50 pages over the last two nights at work. I have a lot of downtime. Anyways, what brought me to this particular thread was fear of the upcoming BN update. I have my Nook Color autonootered and have been content with it. When I first got it, updated to 1.1 and used autonooter 3.0. This alone was such a process for a noob like me, I left it at that and haven't messed around with it since. I like having the option of switching to Stock Home BN for my books and mags and I use Zeam for "tablet functions". Pretty simple, good enough for me. Tried getting video on it but that was a major fail and I gave up. I realized, I need to keep it simple.

Now this update... I was happy to hear about it until I realized it will likely break my root. I have downloaded a ton of apps and games and have my gmail/calendar set up the way I like. Keeping the full android market is a must. Can't see myself being happy with anything less. I don't want a "stock nook", I want a "nook tablet".

I hear that the best way to block the update is CWR. So I'm onboard! I thought... until I read 50 pages of people having problems, reboot issues, just plain fail. Especially on 1.1 Nooks rooted with autonooter 3.0. This terrifies me enough to almost say "forget it". But, I'd like to try. So, onto the questions.

1. Should I bother? I've stated above why I want to CWR, and also why I'm afraid of even messing with it.
2. Does doing CWR and overclocking and all that jazz lose the functionality of the Stock BN features? Reading mags, nice home screen filled with my book covers, in-store reading (yes, that still works on mine), free book fridays?
3. Would it be easier for me to some kind of way revert to an older BN version like 1.0.1? If so, how and what functions will I lose?
4. Do I need another SD card? I have an 8gb card that I used for root and reformated it now being used as storage in my Nook. Which will my back up go onto? I also have some 2gb cards laying around that I could use if that's large enough.
5. What exactly does this back up? Everything? Down to the installed apps and home screen layouts?
6. Which version of CWR do I want? Manual 3.0.1.0? Which version of ROM manager do I need? Free or Paid? Free one on the market right now is 3.0.1.4.
7. Is it pretty much a given that I'm going to be stuck in a reboot cycle due to autonooter 3.0?
8. Nook Color or Nook Color (old)? Which one is correct today?
9. Why is this so hard? Lol. :confused:

All the jargon I've read really has my head spinning. I know to just start with the OP and follow step-by-step instructions carefully. Its the 49 pages after the OP that have me lost. I plan on doing this Monday. It will a full day off from work that I can dedicate to this "project". I want to have it done before this April update.

Thanks in advance. I've said it before, I'll say it again- You guys are all great! I'm so much happier with my Nook Color since finding and joining this forum.

A little basis on this section and this thread:
Well let me first start off saying, this "Nook Color Technical" sub-forum section was suppose to be for advance technical aspects of the Nook Color and header to the section ask for no noob questions. But like anything else, many Nook Color owners of all technical levels come here for help from small issues to big ones. And thats fine, everyone here is nice and will help anyone with any question. This thread is 50 pages and seems a big confusing to some for a few reasons: 1) Many users with not quite the understand to perform these procedures, they them anyway, get into trouble and need to post for help. 2) There was a big issues with CWM recovery when Autonooter 3.0 method cam out and people needed to upgrade to a new version of CWM recovery. And with many not understanding really how it work to begin with, you can see how that issue just made it worst for some NC owners. 3) One of the rom creating teams created a rom using ext.4 file system, this is a somewhat new linux kernel file system allowing larger file system support and is said to be faster than the previous version ext.3. Was this move really needed, well that's debatable. In this move, a new CWM recovery version needed to be created to support ext.4. Most current roms including the B&N android 2.1 versions are using ext.3 file system so as you can see that issue also causes confusion to many. There are many knowledgeable people even having some trouble understand what or which to use. 4) And last, with the option to run CWM recovery internally on your NC or run from a bootable SD has also lead to some confusion. It is fine to run either option as long as you understand how to use them. I personally preferr to only use CWMR internally and believe it simplifies the processes and causes less issues your may run across. I only advice people to create and use a bootable SD card CWMR as a last resort for fixing major problems. Others have a different opinion and advice people to use a bootable version for all occasions. Hope that gives you a little insight on where we are with this thread and the technical section.

That being said on to your questions.

1. Well installing and using CWMR is not necessary is you are already on b&n software 1.1. Yes, there is a new update coming up next month and having CWMR installed does prevent automatic installed of the b&n OTA (over the air) updates, but since the next update will be a operating system change, I believe this update will not be a automatic one. Unlike the previous two update which were minor fixes to certain sections of the software and did not wipe user content and/or settings, the next update being android 2.2 will require a complete wipe of the older software and replace it with the new android 2.2. B&N will most likely send out a notices to where to manually download the new update and/or send a notice to your NC, but not install automatically. The warning will most likely advice us owners to make prevision to backup your important info to your sd card if you have one or backup to your computers hard drive via the usb cable. So basically, I believe we all will have a choice on whether or not to install this next major b&n update. Whether you want to install CWMR is up to you. CWMR is necessary if you wish to make a full system backup, install cutom roms and overclocking kernels.

2. No it doesn't. CWMR only replaces the stock recovery of the NC, not anything about the rom (operating software) itself. If you are using b&n 1.1 software, all your feature remain in tact. Now if you decide to flash to a custom android roms, such as any of the 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0 rom, you will of course replace the b&n features like the stock library with all it's features. You can install the Nook android app, which has most features except for mags and newspapers.

3. No not needed. If you are on b&n 1.1 and used autonooter 3.0 to root, you just need to install newest version of CWM rom manger from the market, then flash CWM recovery, then copy the zip of the new CWMR version 3.0.1 zip to sd, boot to CWMR and flash from zip to update. Again, there is no function or feature lose.

4. No you don't need another sd card. Only one is required for using CWMR. By this time I'm sure you are using a sd card in your SD card for storage. The only thing that is required is you have enough spare room on that sd card for backups you may do. Depending on how many apps and other items you have installed or sideloaded to internal storage, a backup can take up from 200 to 600 mb of space on average. If you have a 8 or 16GB sd card install, make multiple backups is usually not a problem.

5. This question is answered in the first post. Full backup means just want it says, full backup. CWMR will make a backup of the entire operating system including all settings, installed apps, installed widgets, themes, layouts, wallpapers, notes, links, bookmarks, highlights, etc. I think you get the point.

6. See answer 3., the latest CWM rom manger will be fine and its free.

7. See answer 3., b&n 1.1 software with use of autonooter 3.0 will get stuck if you only use CWMR 3.0.0.5 and you don't update to 3.0.1.

8. Pick Nook Color (old) if you are using any of the ext.3 file system android versions (all b&n software and android 2.2 roms)

9. See first part of the answer. CWMR is not really hard, there is just so many different opinions on how to use it here and other web sites that it is a little hard for someone to know which info to follow.

Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
rico, great job on the explanation. Just to make it even more clear, most of the 50 pages is help specific to the problems certain users have created for themselves by not following the directions or attempting to fix their own problems without understanding what they are doing. Stick to the instructions, ask if you have questions and don't go about randomly doing things you don't understand and you will be fine.

CWR allows you to go beyond the basics but you don't have to. At its simplest it is a good backup tool. It is as easy or possibly even easier than rooting itself if you just follow the steps exactly and gives excellent recovery options should you ever need them.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Thanks rico2001 and J515OP for taking the time to respond. I'll probably wait for this update and hope for the best. I just recently updated my HTC phone to 2.2 and it wasn't over the air, so makes sense that the Nook won't be either. Also hoping that there will quickly be an autonooter process for the newest update shortly after it happens.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Hi all new hear been reading all the threads about rooting and backups. I just purchased a nook color and rooted it thanks to you guys!! Wasn't easy for me had to do some sweating! When doing the backup I had 3.0.5 and it hung up in boot land. Finally saw the post on how to update did that and now its working great. One thing when I plugged my usb cord in to my nook to root it it didn't boot up and I have 1.1. Is it supposed to? Any way on page one are the direction's to make a backup correct I want to try it again with the updated CWA 1.1. Thanks for all your help great site!!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hi all new hear been reading all the threads about rooting and backups. I just purchased a nook color and rooted it thanks to you guys!! Wasn't easy for me had to do some sweating! When doing the backup I had 3.0.5 and it hung up in boot land. Finally saw the post on how to update did that and now its working great. One thing when I plugged my usb cord in to my nook to root it it didn't boot up and I have 1.1. Is it supposed to? Any way on page one are the direction's to make a backup correct I want to try it again with the updated CWA 1.1. Thanks for all your help great site!!

Question: why are you trying to re-root after rooting and installing CWM recovery?

The first two post of these thread gives you instructions on how to perform a full backup. Use CWM rom manger to boot to CWM recovery or if you NC is turned off, hold the power and n button together for 7-8 seconds to boot to CWM recovery. Once in CWM recovery, follow directions in the first two post of these thread.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Question: why are you trying to re-root after rooting and installing CWM recovery?

The first two post of these thread gives you instructions on how to perform a full backup. Use CWM rom manger to boot to CWM recovery or if you NC is turned off, hold the power and n button together for 7-8 seconds to boot to CWM recovery. Once in CWM recovery, follow directions in the first two post of these thread.

The reboot was from when I rooted my nook. The instructions said that when I plugged my usb cord into my computer that my nook would reboot, it never did. I did try the backup but my CWM was the old one and I got stuck in the endless reboot loop. I flashed CWM to the new update and will try again.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I just purchased a nook color and rooted it thanks to you guys!! Wasn't easy for me had to do some sweating! When doing the backup I had 3.0.5 and it hung up in boot land. Finally saw the post on how to update did that and now its working great. One thing when I plugged my usb cord in to my nook to root it it didn't boot up and I have 1.1. Is it supposed to?

Not reboot, re - root. It seems you successfully rooted your NC, installed CWM recovery and then tried to re-root it. Perhaps you are confusing rooting the device and installing and using Clockworkmod recovery. They are two different things with different procedures. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you. See first post, update you CWM recovery, boot to CWMR, you should see 3.0.1 installed, proceed to make a full backup. You should have no more boot loop issues.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Ok thanks! Can I run something else by you? On the original nook color home page the one that shows your books. You can slide between 3 screens. My wallpaper was streched across all 3. Now it doesn't cover anymore, I have Zeam installed has this happened to you. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Ok thanks! Can I run something else by you? On the original nook color home page the one that shows your books. You can slide between 3 screens. My wallpaper was stretched across all 3. Now it doesn't cover anymore, I have Zeam installed has this happened to you. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Not a problem. No I have not experienced your wallpaper issues but it seems if you have a wallpaper that no longer covers all 3 screens, then you should try to re-do the wallpaper. Long press on screen, set wallpapers > pick the wallpaper you want. See if that fixes your problem. If not, perhaps look for a wallpaper closer the native size of the Nook Color 3 screens, which is 1200 x 1024.

See: Nook Color Themes and Wallpapers section for more help.

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
once i flash (old) from rom manger and power off, i should be able to get back into my stoc, rooted 1.1, right? then open rom manager again and flash from zip?

FatAlbert

Mar 31, 2011
Help. Whenever I try to reboot after flashing kernal,my nook will turn off, but not come back on. I've tried everything I know about.

Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
once i flash (old) from rom manger and power off, i should be able to get back into my stoc, rooted 1.1, right? then open rom manager again and flash from zip?

Once you flash CWR from CWM (Manager) and reboot it should boot like normal into rooted 1.1. Then if you open ROM Manager selecet "Reboot into Recovery" and proceed with the backup/flashing instructions. You can flash ROMS through ROM Manager but it is debatable if that is the best way (some people have issues some don't).