(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
lol, now i'm in a boot loop.

i had rom manager 3.0.1.4 and successfully installed cwr. I rebooted into recovery then flashed the update cwr 3.0.1.0 zip.

now in boot loop...ha haha wtf. why?!!

oh nevermind it actually took.

first time i hit "reboot system" it went into recovery again.

I hit "reboot system" again and now i'm back to my stock rooted 1.1 with 3.0.1.0 CWR.

NIIICE

and i must say...

wheeeeeww!!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sweet, I share your relief. Fortunately I only had to hold my breath to the end of the post ;)

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
Sweet, I share your relief. Fortunately I only had to hold my breath to the end of the post ;)

I had taken out the 8gig SD card for the second reboot. Do i have to take that out every time so that it will boot normally? (not into cwr) Its just a 8gig card that ih ave for storage on the nook. I had placed my cwr 3.0.1.0 zip onto it so i could flash the update.

Additionally, can i keep backups on this card - that way flashing between ROMs is quicker? (it wouldn't harm anything, right?)

Should i create a Clockworkmod folder and backup subfolder on the card so that I can create backups to that card without having to swap out different cards?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I had taken out the 8gig SD card for the second reboot. Do i have to take that out every time so that it will boot normally? (not into cwr) Its just a 8gig card that ih ave for storage on the nook. I had placed my cwr 3.0.1.0 zip onto it so i could flash the update.
Might have been a first flash glitch. Unless you created a bootable SD it should not boot into CWR.

Additionally, can i keep backups on this card - that way flashing between ROMs is quicker? (it wouldn't harm anything, right?)
You can keep back ups on the card and even other ROM .zip files to change back and forth. Usually it is a good idea to have a seperate card for backups and flashing so that if something goes wrong you don't loose your backups but there is nothing technically preventing you from doing that. You might want to copy your backup files to PC on a regular basis if that is the way you want to roll.

Should i create a Clockworkmod folder and backup subfolder on the card so that I can create backups to that card without having to swap out different cards?
When you run a nandroid (backup in CWR) it will create some back up folders for you. About the only thing you can't do if you want to use one card is have that card be bootable. If you want to use it for all of your backups, apps, data, media and ROM files you can do that. Just be aware that the more that is on there the more you stand to loose if something goes wrong.

See notes above.

downstrike

Apr 2, 2011
I read through this thread and I didnt see this mentioned. I used autonooter 12.25 on my nook color 1.01 to the internal memory. Followed the instructions and did a full backup to my sd card. I am now at the overclock process and I used the update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511 file and got an error while flashing. everything is fine the Nook still runs but that obviously didnt take. Im assuming like other updates you dont extract the files for this kernel, just place the zip on the sd card. Am I correct in using the eclair version with the auto nooter 12.25????

Thanks for the help in advance

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You are correct in using the eclair version and just placing the zip file on the root of the SD card. Check the MD5 to make sure the zip file you downloaded is complete. You can also just try redoawnloading and reflashing the kernel.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
what am I supposed to wipe when moving between ROMS? I know the dalvik cache and cache partition are supposed to be wiped, but am I supposed to go into "mounts and storage" and format system, then format data?

Or am I supposed to click "wipe data/factory reset"

i need a walk through on this portion.

I want to go from eclair stock rooted to "nookiecomb" aka froyo

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
what am I supposed to wipe when moving between ROMS? I know the dalvik cache and cache partition are supposed to be wiped, but am I supposed to go into "mounts and storage" and format system, then format data?

Or am I supposed to click "wipe data/factory reset"

i need a walk through on this portion.

I want to go from eclair stock rooted to "nookiecomb" aka froyo

Make sure you have a good backup first.

Wipe data/factory reset, then flash new rom.

...and stay out of advanced menu of CMWR, unless you know what you are doing.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
Make sure you have a good backup first.

Wipe data/factory reset, then flash new rom.

...and stay out of advanced menu of CMWR, unless you know what you are doing.

thanks so much. I'm going to make a backup.

then i will wipe partition cache, dalvik cache, then "wipe data/factory reset"

then install nookcomb zip. crossing my fingers.

good thing i waited :)....0.4.2 is out.

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
lol can't get latest zip. server fail (as of right now)

well its d/ling now, but man...oh so slow.

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
damn. wiped cache....wiped dalvik cached....cwr froze on me. F!

ok, was able to back into cwr. "wiping data/factory reset" done.

another feeze. crap!

lol, now seeing the boot animation for stock b&N nook color

trouble getting into cwr now. F.

finally back into cwr....installing nookiecomb zip.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
damn. wiped cache....wiped dalvik cached....cwr froze on me. F!

ok, was able to back into cwr. "wiping data/factory reset" done.

another feeze. crap!

lol, now seeing the boot animation for stock b&N nook color

trouble getting into cwr now. F.

finally back into cwr....installing nookiecomb zip.

Freeze up on wipes are normal, get use to it. :)

Power off, boot back into CWMR and continue.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
thanks so much. I'm going to make a backup.

then i will wipe partition cache, dalvik cache, then "wipe data/factory reset"

then install nookcomb zip. crossing my fingers.

good thing i waited :)....0.4.2 is out.
Why did U wipe partition cache?
I think its not needed.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
It may not be needed, but I always do it too. No point keeping it, because it's going to get re-written as needed anyway. Better to have nothing there than to let something linger and cause problems.

And yes, wiping dalvik ALWAYS locks me up.. Totally normal.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
that Freezing stuff after every wipe is ANNOYING.

btw, i'm on ROM manager 3.0.1.4 and its not up to 3.0.1.7 in the market. should i update or leave it be since it "works"

i'm hoping they can work out this freezing junk.