(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Get use to it, wait I already said that. Any CWM rom manger equal or higher than 3.0.1 will do for CWM recovery version 3.0.1.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
Quick question.... have autonooter 3 with 1.1 and got through the instructions here after the initial problems mentioned many times above. Now looking to do full nandroid backup and wanted to confirm couple things:

- I just updated ROM Mgr from market. Do I need to flash again? Keep in mind I had to use special flash due to being on 1.1 autonooter 3.
- which flash "package" should I use?
- to do backup do I wipe caches first or is that not needed?

just want to make sure I don't cause any issues prior to backing up.

Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
surf, you don't need to flash anything again if you already have CWR on your nook. If you are not running CWR 3.0.1 I suggest updating that but doing it by placing the CWR 3.0.1 zip file on your SD and flashing it from the current CWR you have on your nook. If you do not have CWR on you nook already then yes, you can flash it onto your nook with CWM and choosing nook "old". Once that is done I would still folow the steps above to flash the zip directly from CWR to correct any issues of flashing CWR through CWM.

When you make a nandroid you do not need to wipe any chaches. That is just for flashing new items onto the nook.

JP

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
I was attempting to follow the steps in the 1st post to create a backup. Followed every step. After the backup is finished, I go to "Reboot system now" and it goes right back in to CWR.

What should I do? I did it several times and then I took out the msd card and did Reboot system now again and it went right back to the CWR :(

Did a manual reboot by powering down and still back into cwr.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I was attempting to follow the steps in the 1st post to create a backup. Followed every step. After the backup is finished, I go to "Reboot system now" and it goes right back in to CWR.

What should I do? I did it several times and then I took out the msd card and did Reboot system now again and it went right back to the CWR :(

Did a manual reboot by powering down and still back into cwr.

Read
the instructions per first post: update to CWM recovery 3.0.1
note: you are on b&n 1.1 software and you used autonooter 3.0 to root, you then installed CWMR 3.0.0.5 and tried to make a backup, now stuck in loop of booting into CWMR

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks Rico - Ok so I just want to clarify. Were these the steps that I messed up?

manually Installation New ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 version: http://muffinworld.net/android/nookc...mr_3.0.1.0.zip
-Place zip on root of sd card, install in CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 to update.

Does this mean to just download that zip and put it on the mSD and put it inside of the NC before I go to the next step in ROM Manager?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
if you already have ROM manager and have copied the 3.01 file into the root directory of your SD card, just go to ROM Manager and click FLASH CLOCKWORK RECOVERY - once you have 3.01 installed it makes it easy to install some of the custom ROMs floating around

Thanks Rico - Ok so I just want to clarify. Were these the steps that I messed up?

manually Installation New ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 version: http://muffinworld.net/android/nookc...mr_3.0.1.0.zip

Does this mean to just download that zip and put it on the mSD and put it inside of the NC before I go to the next step in ROM Manager?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

No, do not use CWM rom manger to update.

Like I said:

In other words, copy the zip file on your sd card (not in any folder - on root of sd) > boot back into CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 > "Install zip from sd" > pick cwmr 3.0.1 zip file > press "yes" > reboot after complete

bsimardjr

Apr 10, 2011
Hi new user here. Recently rooted my Nook, B&N 1.1 software and used autonooter 3.0 to root. Now I am trying to backup, I have ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 version installed but when I try to run the backup following the instructions on page 1 I get a message "Can't mount / system!". Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
-Do you have a sd card installed?
-What software are you on?
-What CWM rom manager do you have installed?
-How did you update to CWM recovery 3.0.1?
-Did you pick NC (old) when flashing CWM recovery in CWM rom manager?
-Did you power off after flashing CWM recovery 3.0.5 from CWM rom manager?

You possibly have a bad CWM recovery flash install.

Last edited:

bsimardjr

Apr 10, 2011
Do you have a sd card installed?
Yes SD card is installed.

-What software are you on?
B&N 1.1 software and used autonooter 3.0 to root

-What CWM rom manager do you have installed?ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 version

-How did you update to CWM recovery 3.0.1?
I think this is one of my mistakes. I did an update earlier this weekend & since saw that I should not have done that.

-Did you pick NC (old) when flashing CWM recovery in CWM rom manager?
No I did not, was that a mistake?

-Did you power off after flashing CWM recovery 3.0.5 from CWM rom manager?
I did power off when the instructions said to.

Judging by your questions it appears that I made a few errors. What is the best way for me to correct them?

Bob

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^ Yes you may have.

-First you need to install CWM rom manger from the market, latest version which may be 3.0.1.4
-Then flash CWM recovery to 3.0.0.5 in CWM rom manger 3.0.1.4, pick Nook Color (old) when asked
-Power off
-Boot up normal, copy CWM recovery 3.0.1 zip to root of sd card
-Open CWM rom manger, hit boot to recovery
-Pick "install zip from sd"
-Pick CWMR 3.0.1 zip, then press next.
-CWM recovery then should be updated to 3.0.1.
-Reboot
-Then try to make a good backup.

Since you may have messed this process up, you should remove CWM recovery to restore the stock recovery and start this CWM rom manager and recovery process over. : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8526-how-restore-stock-recovery-cwr.html

cajunkick

Apr 13, 2011
READ WHOLE POST BEFORE PROCEEDING! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

-Once in CWR, use volume up and down buttons to scroll up and down the menu list
-Scroll down to "wipe cache partition"
-Press "n" button to enter or go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe cache"
-Press "n" button to execute
-Once complete, you will be back to main menu
-Scroll down to "advanced"
-Press "n" button to enter
-Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to execute
-Once complete, press power button to go back to main menu

note: Clearing both caches is important to properly flashing any theme, kernel or Rom
IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

-Once both caches are wiped, proceed to flashing a new kernel
-Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard"
-Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard"
-Scroll to the kenral zip file you wish to flash (install)
-Press "n" to execute (pick file)
-Scroll down to "yes - Install (file name).zip"
-Press "n" to execute, flash new kernel
IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

-Scroll to "reboot system"
-Press "n" to execute
note: if your NC locks up, just hold power button to reboot or power button and "n" button together
to boot back into CWR.

-Now back in NC, open SetCPU

note: If touch sensitivity is somewhat unresponsive, simply press the power button to make your NC
go to sleep, then "n" to wake back up. Your super responsive touch should return back to normal.
The author of the new kernels said there is something a little off on his kernel scripts and this
is the solution for this temporary touch issue. Work for me. :)

-In main menu, move slider on maximum setting over to far right to set max step speed
-Check Set on boot
-For other power saving profiles see: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-
technical/5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html

note: After a kernel flash, SetCPU will set max per the last kernel install, so if you installed a
kernel with a higher clock, you need to re-set the max level.
c61dd45a.png

Done, now enjoy your new quicker snappy Nook Color.

Any questions, let me know.

Full System Restore from Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery
-First make sure you have at least a half changed battery
-If your NC is on, open ROM manager and press "Reboot to recovery"
-If you NC is off, press and hold the power and "n" buttons together for 5-6 seconds then let go of the buttons

11-02-10-1.png

-Once in CWR, use volume up and down buttons to scroll up and down the menu list
-Scroll down to "wipe cache partition"
-Press "n" button to enter or go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe cache"
-Press "n" button to execute
-Once complete, you will be back to main menu
-Scroll down to "advanced"
-Press "n" button to enter
-Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik cache"
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to execute
See illustrations above.

note: If CWR locks up, which it frequently does with this version of CWR, don't panic it's ok, just press and hold the power button until your NC turns off. Then press and hold both power and "n" button for 5-6 seconds to boot back into CWR.

-Once both caches are wiped, proceed to performing a full system restore
-Scroll down to "backup and restore"
-Scroll down to "restore"
-Scroll to the backup image (by date) you wish to flash (install/restore)
-Press "n" to execute (pick image)
-Scroll down to "yes - Restore"
-Press "n" to execute

note: A full restore will take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to complete.

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

-Scroll to "reboot system"
-Press "n" to execute

Once booted, you should still be rooted, be on same b&n software you backed up to and have all your same settings, apps, widgets and themes restored.

Have any question, let us know and one of our knowledgeable Nook Color owners will help you out.

im so sorry but for the life of me i cannot download the zip file, i cant access the site due to the proxy settings i have, and have been banging my head against the wall to try and fix it but to no avail. is there a way you could direct download it??
any help is appreciated im trying to overclock it and cant until i do this update being as i have the 1.1 and rooted with the 3.0. Boot looped once and fixed it but desperately ready to overclock.

consumedsoul

Apr 13, 2011
im so sorry but for the life of me i cannot download the zip file, i cant access the site due to the proxy settings i have, and have been banging my head against the wall to try and fix it but to no avail. is there a way you could direct download it??
any help is appreciated im trying to overclock it and cant until i do this update being as i have the 1.1 and rooted with the 3.0. Boot looped once and fixed it but desperately ready to overclock.

I'm getting errors attempting to access the site as well, can't download cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip - anyone find any alternate location(s)?