(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
My Nook has Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 installed.
I want to install phiremod-nook-V5.1.zip
I am using a 2GB card and using 2gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.img
I believe I'm doing everything correctly, I format the system/data/cache/dalvik cache, then I install the ROM from the SD card, it installs correctly, but when the Nook reboots I only have the Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 screen.
What am I doing wrong? Why don't I see the Phiremod 5.1 ROM???
Please help.
Thank you
Your internal CWR is v3.0.0.5, and even though you used an ext4 bootable card, your internal recovery is still the older version. You should download the flashable CWRv3.0.1.0 - place it on your NC - reboot into recovery (which will be 3.0.0.5) and flash the zip, thus updating your internal recovery to v3.0.1.0.

Grab the flashable zip from here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ry-official-cwm-3-0-1-0-update-flashable.html

I do not have CWR at all on my autonootered and overclocked 3.0.0 Nook. I use a bootable CWR SD card. Should I place the CWR 3.0.1.0 zip onto the SD card and then flash the eMMC that way?

If I do that, I shouldn't have to worry about flashing CWR via Rom manager, correct? Therefore, I shouldn't have to worry about the (old) vs regular issue?

thanks.
Not exactly. If you want to keep your internal recovery as stock and continue to only use the SD for backups, you need to get the CWRv3.0.1.0 Bootable image and make a new SD card. You can move all your files off the existing card and back onto the new card after you burn the new image. Grab the properly sized image from here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

If you want to install CWRv3.0.1.0 to your internal recovery, the easiest way is to download ROM Manager from the market (should be v3.0.1.4 now), 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery' from ROM Manager [MAKE SURE YOU POWER OFF AND POWER ON], then place the flashable CWRv3.0.1.0 on your NC or storage SD, Reboot into Recovery, and flash the zip to update CWR to latest. Grab the flashable CWR here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ry-official-cwm-3-0-1-0-update-flashable.html

I THINK you need to do the following.

Grab the cwr 3.0.1.0 ZIP file and put it onto your 2gb SD card
Put the latest phirmod zip file rom on the same 2gb SD card.

Boot into your internal 3.0.0.5 CWR.
FLASH the 3.0.1.0 CWR zip.
unmount card
take out SD card
reboot.

Now you should see the correct version of CWR on your eMMC.

From there Flash the latest phiremod ROM.

I am not sure, but you might also need flash Gapps as well to get the market and such. you'll probably also want to flash the latest OC kernal for phiremod.

Pretty sure that poster didn't have an internal CWR so this wouldn't work.

Everything is correct, but keep in mind that whenever CWR comes from SD, old version will appear.
Depends on the version of the bootable card used.
you mean it will appear to be an OLD version, but its not....its actually the newer version.

Question. Once I have 3.0.1.0 CWR installed to eMMC, sine it is both ext3 and ext4 compatible, I should have no trouble "restoring" my Nand backup of rooted 2.1 correct?

for instance, lets say I FLASH CM7 onto my eMMC after backuping up my stock rooted 2.1 ROM....In order to go back to my backup 2.1 ROM, i can simply go into rom manager and "restore" the ROM? should I wipe cache/dalvik cache prior to each restore? Should I wipe data/system?

And likewise, say i'm in my 2.1 image and I want to go back to my backed up CM7 ROM...i can just go to rom manager and "restore" my CM7 ROM??

Correct, once you have good v3.0.1.0 properly installed to internal - you can "restore" back and forth. However, I noticed that when I restored an ext3 based ROM and booted into recovery it showed my CWR as v3.0.0.5 even though it was really v3.0.1.0. When I restored back to CM7 my recovery showed as v3.0.1.0 as it should. So THIS is the instance CWR appears as the wrong version. Not sure why.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
If you want to install CWRv3.0.1.0 to your internal recovery, the easiest way is to download ROM Manager from the market (should be v3.0.1.4 now), 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery' from ROM Manager [MAKE SURE YOU POWER OFF AND POWER ON], then place the flashable CWRv3.0.1.0 on your NC or storage SD, Reboot into Recovery, and flash the zip to update CWR to latest. Grab the flashable CWR here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ry-official-cwm-3-0-1-0-update-flashable.html

whoa, wait. I have to flash CWR twice? You're saying to flash CWM recovery from rom manager, then flash it again via zip!? why?

i have a 3.0.0.5 CWR bootable SD. Can't I just throw the 3.0.1.0 zip onto that card and flash it?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
It's an update and must be flashed by CWM recovery, which the current working version is 3.0.0.5.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
With all this discussion I made some check to my CWM version.
I am sure I flashed some days ago the 3.0.10 version.
But when I reboot to recovery, it justs makes normal reboot to android.
Also, when I boot with my recovery card, I get version 3.0.0.6.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rastaviper it sounds like you might need to reflash 3.0.1 internally. Likely it didn't take. Did you ever create a recovery card with 3.0.1? If not that explains why it is showing 3.0.0.6.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
How to flash 3.0.1 internally when it doesnt go to recovery from reboot?
And from SD card i already flashed this version.

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
How to flash 3.0.1 internally when it doesnt go to recovery from reboot?
And from SD card i already flashed this version.

I noticed this on mine just a little while ago (running 5.1)It said 3.0.0.6 and I just downloaded from new link for 2gb clockwork this afternoon

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
CWM recovery 3.0.1 contains both versions 3.0.0.5 (ext.3 for android 2.1, 2.2 roms) and version 3.0.0.6 (ext.4 for android 2.3 & 3.0 roms internally). When you perform a backup, CWM recovery backs up the appropriate version. On occasion when you flash from one to the other, you can sometimes see either version. Most of us have at least one backup of b&n 1.1 (android 2.1) before we start into the custom roms so the chances of seeing the different CWMR versions, even though you updated to 3.0.1 is common.

I do advise if you are using CWMR sd or CWMR internally, you use the correct 3.0.1. file.

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Is there anywhere on the nook OS besides booting up in cwr that we should see 3.0.1.0? A couple of hours ago it said 3.0.0.6 and now it says 3.0.1.0? Not sure what I really have? I put in my 5.1 sd card, it booted to 3.0.0.5, removed it and it booted to crw 3.0.1.0 so do I have 3.0.1.0?

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
Oh NO I'm STUCK...I had to interrupt my backup because I'm an idiot and completely erased my 4GB SD card and it was only showing 34MB of space available. So I powered it off mid back up and stuck in another SD card....it booted back up into recovery mode and seemed like it was picking right back up where I left off. I got the "Backup Complete" message and moved to the next step of "Reboot System Now" and it just came right back on to the same menu. I seem to be stuck? Please help!!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Oh NO I'm STUCK...I had to interrupt my backup because I'm an idiot and completely erased my 4GB SD card and it was only showing 34MB of space available. So I powered it off mid back up and stuck in another SD card....it booted back up into recovery mode and seemed like it was picking right back up where I left off. I got the "Backup Complete" message and moved to the next step of "Reboot System Now" and it just came right back on to the same menu. I seem to be stuck? Please help!!

Need more info:
-What rom are you running?
-Are you running a rom from sd or internal?
-What is on the sd cards?
-Is your CWM recovery installed on sd or internally?

You possibly just messed up you boot files a bit. Have you tried turning the NC off then turning back on. Does it still boot into CWM recovery?

If you messed up CWM recovery and can't boot to it

1) Create a bootable CWM SD card from the link above.
2) Mount the SD card on your computer and copy the RecoveryFix.zip file to it.
3) Boot the Nook into CWM from the SD card.
4) Choose "install zip from sdcard"
5) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
6) Browse to the RecoveryFix.zip and select it.
7) Choose "Yes - Install RecoveryFix.zip"

CWM should now work by booting and holding the N + Power buttons.
You can find the recoveryfix file RecoveryFix.zip

If you still just boot into CWM recovery, just remove CWM recovery to restore the stock recovery

-Download the removecwr.zip file from HERE
-Put this zip file on your SD Card (DO NOT EXTRACT IT, JUST COPY THE ZIP TO THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD)
-Turn off your NC
-Insert your SD card and restart the NC
-Once in CWR, use volume up and down buttons to scroll up and down the menu list
-Scroll down to "wipe cache partition"
-Press "n" button to enter or go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe cache"
-Press "n" button to execute
-Once complete, you will be back to main menu
-Scroll down to "advanced"
-Press "n" button to enter
-Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to execute
-Once complete, press power button to go back to main menu

-Select reboot system now

You should now be rebooting normally into your NC and your system should still be completely rooted.
Then re-install CWM recovery and preform another backup.

Stopping a backup or restore mid stream is really not a big deal, I've done it a few times without issue. You issue may be with the sd cards, so knowing what was on the second sd card may be important in trouble shooting your issue.

Once you get sorted out you really need to do the backup again since you can't use the "restore:" feature if you restore files are on two different sd cards.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Hi all. Apologize in advance for the long post and questions.

I just finished reading this entire thread. Literally- all 50 pages over the last two nights at work. I have a lot of downtime. Anyways, what brought me to this particular thread was fear of the upcoming BN update. I have my Nook Color autonootered and have been content with it. When I first got it, updated to 1.1 and used autonooter 3.0. This alone was such a process for a noob like me, I left it at that and haven't messed around with it since. I like having the option of switching to Stock Home BN for my books and mags and I use Zeam for "tablet functions". Pretty simple, good enough for me. Tried getting video on it but that was a major fail and I gave up. I realized, I need to keep it simple.

Now this update... I was happy to hear about it until I realized it will likely break my root. I have downloaded a ton of apps and games and have my gmail/calendar set up the way I like. Keeping the full android market is a must. Can't see myself being happy with anything less. I don't want a "stock nook", I want a "nook tablet".

I hear that the best way to block the update is CWR. So I'm onboard! I thought... until I read 50 pages of people having problems, reboot issues, just plain fail. Especially on 1.1 Nooks rooted with autonooter 3.0. This terrifies me enough to almost say "forget it". But, I'd like to try. So, onto the questions.

1. Should I bother? I've stated above why I want to CWR, and also why I'm afraid of even messing with it.
2. Does doing CWR and overclocking and all that jazz lose the functionality of the Stock BN features? Reading mags, nice home screen filled with my book covers, in-store reading (yes, that still works on mine), free book fridays?
3. Would it be easier for me to some kind of way revert to an older BN version like 1.0.1? If so, how and what functions will I lose?
4. Do I need another SD card? I have an 8gb card that I used for root and reformated it now being used as storage in my Nook. Which will my back up go onto? I also have some 2gb cards laying around that I could use if that's large enough.
5. What exactly does this back up? Everything? Down to the installed apps and home screen layouts?
6. Which version of CWR do I want? Manual 3.0.1.0? Which version of ROM manager do I need? Free or Paid? Free one on the market right now is 3.0.1.4.
7. Is it pretty much a given that I'm going to be stuck in a reboot cycle due to autonooter 3.0?
8. Nook Color or Nook Color (old)? Which one is correct today?
9. Why is this so hard? Lol. :confused:

All the jargon I've read really has my head spinning. I know to just start with the OP and follow step-by-step instructions carefully. Its the 49 pages after the OP that have me lost. I plan on doing this Monday. It will a full day off from work that I can dedicate to this "project". I want to have it done before this April update.

Thanks in advance. I've said it before, I'll say it again- You guys are all great! I'm so much happier with my Nook Color since finding and joining this forum.