(HOW TO) Uninstall CWR and save root or revert to a stock image

Status
Not open for further replies.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Maybe you are like me and like futzing around with your NC, or maybe you accidentally installed a ROM and when you tried to remove it and revert back, you didn't properly uninstall Clockwork Recovery Mod.

Perhaps you need some sort of warranty work on your NC and need it back to stock to avoid the voided warranty for rooting.

No matter your reason for wanting to revert to stock, I have pieced together a quick way to: A. remove CWR B. delete any installed apps or custom roms C. restore your NC to a stock state. I know that not everyone has a membership at XDA, so I compiled the information here into a single thread.

First, my thanks to samuelhalff and thecubed/IOMonster on the XDA forums for putting the information out there.

DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT WRITE ANY OF THE SCRIPTS OR FILES MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD. I SIMPLY USED INFORMATION FOUND IN TWO DIFFERENT THREADS ON THE XDA FORUMS. THE ORIGINAL THREADS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.5 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (Block 1.1 too!) - xda-developers
AND HERE
[RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers

Using this method will strip ClockworkMod Recovery from the internal memory of your Nook Color and reset your device to the stock image of your choice (either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 at this time)

Requirements:

Your Nook Color
A MicroSD Card (this entire process can be done with a 1GB card)

The Bootable Clockwork SD image found here: Bootable Clockwork image
md5sum:88904bdcf159d88112eda070011e7b51
This will create a 1GB partition on your SD Card, but should be more than enough room to complete this process.

The Stock image of your choice found here: (You don’t need both)

1. Download v.1.0.0 file here.
Size: 166.0 MB, md5sum: c3e151a55e6f21061570d57d6caa5746

2. Download v.1.0.1 file here.
Size: 159.8 MB, md5sum: 6d00a461a221e69195440355f6706104

Getting Started:
I have used this process with both win32diskimager and winimage, so use the one you are familiar with.

***The bootable Clockwork image (clockwork_1gb-0.4.tar.gz) is a zip file that can be opened with winrar (or I am assuming any other zip program...winzip, 7zip, etc)...you must extract the img file inside of it***

Once you have done that, follow the directions below.

1. Write the bootable Clockwork image to your SD card.
2. When your image writer software is complete, open the drive on your computer and copy the stock image (either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1) into the root of your SD card

***Make sure your Nook Color is turned off***

Insert the SD card into your Nook Color and turn it on.
This will take you to the familiar Clockwork Recovery interface (which is running from your SD card, not internal memory)

Our first task will be to format the /system and /data folders (which will wipe out your rooting and anything you have installed on the Nook (the same as 8 failed attempts and PWR+N key for a factory reset)

1. Scroll down the mounts and storage option in Clockwork
2. Select format /system, verify that you want to do this
3. When complete, select format /data and verify yes

You have now wiped out the internal memory (rebooting your NC now will give you an error message)
Now we want to flash the zipped stock file.

Go back to the main menu in Clockwork

1. Select ‘Install Zip from SD Card’
2. Find the zip file for the stock image you chose
3. Verify that you want to install this zip file
4. Wait for it to finish. When CWR is finished installing the zip file…go to mounts and storage
5. Select unmount sdcard>>>remove sdcard
6. Go back to the main menu in Clockwork and 'Reboot'

Congratulations, you have now removed CWR from your system [if you had it installed, and really, who doesn’t? :)] (allowing the default B&N recovery method and reset your Nook to the stock image you chose.)
Now I recommend installing any B&N updates you want, reinstalling your apps, Clockwork Recovery, etc.

Make a full backup in Clockwork Recovery so you don’t need to do these steps again down the road, unless of course you are a glutton for punishment like I am.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair - xda-developers (Thanks to xawen over at XDA for laying this out)

For those that don't have memberships at XDA here are the instructions:
1) Create a bootable CWM SD card from the link in the first post.
2) Mount the SD card on your computer and copy the RecoveryFix.zip file to it.
3) Boot the Nook into CWM from the SD card.
4) Choose "install zip from sdcard"
5) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
6) Browse to the RecoveryFix.zip and select it.
7) Choose "Yes - Install RecoveryFix.zip"

CWM should now work by booting and holding the N + Power buttons.

You can find the recoveryfix file RecoveryFix.zip here.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
***If you just want to remove CWR without breaking your root!!!***

Follow the steps at the top of the post to setup a bootable CWR SD Card
Download the removecwr.zip file from HERE
Put this zip file on your SD Card (DO NOT EXTRACT IT, JUST COPY THE ZIP TO THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD)
Turn off your NC
Insert your bootable SD card and restart the NC
rico2001 "Thanks rico!" said:
-Once in CWR, use volume up and down buttons to scroll up and down the menu list
-Scroll down to "wipe cache partition"
-Press "n" button to enter or go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe cache"
-Press "n" button to execute
-Once complete, you will be back to main menu
-Scroll down to "advanced"
-Press "n" button to enter
-Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to go to next sub-menu
-Scroll down to "yes - wipe dalvik cache"
-Press "n" to execute
-Once complete, press power button to go back to main menu
***If you get a lockup after wiping Dalvik cache, just manually reboot (pressing the power button) and continue with the following steps***
scroll down to install zip from sdcard
Press 'n' to execute
scroll to 'choose zip from sdcard
Press 'n' to execute
Find the removeclock zip file
Press 'n' to execute
Select Yes and Press 'n' to execute
When it finishes running the zip file, go back to main page
Select Mounts and Storage
Press 'n' to execute
scroll to unmount /sdcard
Press 'n' to execute
Scroll to Yes and Press 'n' to execute
(REMOVE YOUR SD CARD NOW)
Go back to main screen and select reboot system now

You should now be rebooting normally into your NC and your system should still be completely rooted.

Again, thanks to the guys over at XDA, and everyone here who helped me and for putting this information out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.