[HowTo] Based 1.2 Custom Rom 'Brilliant Corners' - Basic Info & Installation !

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
gccrook, sorry to hear that you have problem. When I was running BC, I did not experienced it, and I don't think seeing such post that related to rebooting due to backing-up or installing apps. You've done a research yourself ? Are you sure that you have CWM when booting into recovery by following the installation steps ? or is it the standard recovery ?

Perhaps the best course of action would be to follow Roebeet's suggestion about backing out to stock 4349 [RECOVERY] GTab recovery firmware (official Viewsonic 1.2-based versions) - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com then start over again using section <D>, assuming that you still want to follow the 1.2 path.

Let us know.

Dave,

gccrook

May 17, 2011
My bad. I did not correctly wipe the user data. Once that was done, everything seems to be working fine. Titanium is installing my backedup apps now, and I was able to install one from the market. Thanks again.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I would like to try this before trying honeycomb. First question is this a simple move from here to honeycomb since i'll already be on 1.2? Also, if I don't like it, can I go back to CM7 without going back to 1.1?

Sent from my gTablet running CM7.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I would like to try this before trying honeycomb. First question is this a simple move from here to honeycomb since i'll already be on 1.2? Also, if I don't like it, can I go back to CM7 without going back to 1.1?

Sent from my gTablet running CM7.

I think that you probably already know the answers for your questions (smile) ! Anyway, moving from BC to HC/BOS should be an easy one as they are on the same 1.2 base. However, I'd think that you will have to nvflash back to 1.1 before restoring CM7. I could be wrong.

One a side note, the HC/BOS 3.0 is working fairly well. The initial state after installation would be rough with multiple reboots. But after a while, once it is settling down, it is fine. Afterward, you may not want to go back. But this is just me.

In addition, you may want to give another 1.2 base rom a test drive Beasty's 2.2.1 ROM (Adam) + Clemsyn ver 11 1.5ghz kernel (only 1.2 bootloader) - xda-developers. I would, but only after I get my new iPad toy going with jailbreaking. Cheers.

Dave,

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I actually find the upgrade to HC from 1.2 easier than going from 1.1.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure once I get to HC I'll stay there, but I have become so dependent on my g that I can't take the chance. I'm at a clients office today and was able to show their web designers some issue with the mobile site much easier then having 4 people try to huddle around my droid x. And outside of programming, I don't use my laptop at all anymore!

Peter, thanks for the insight. I've been confused about going to HC for the last few days - you don't need CMW, you can't use it, now you can, you can with this version but not that, go back to stock, etc. My head hurt so I was thinking maybe I would try this ROM and be "closer" to HC.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Anything beyond 2.2 for the honeycomb roms we can use clockwork again. the new roms really rock.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

c1tobor

Apr 28, 2011
Hello and thankyou in advance. I have a Gtab on the way from Tiger Direct and I'm pretty sure it will come with the 1.2 bootloader and 4349.

I will probably play with the Stock interface for awhile but I have already download the files nessecary to load Brilliant Corners using method >D< .

I'm confused as to wether or not I need to put NVFlash on it first. I have read and re-read the instructions for NVflash but would rather not if I don't have to.

Also does Brilliant Corners work completely or is there somthing I should know, as in limitations or funtionality?.

Sorry If these are noobe questions but that is what I am, and I don't want to brick my tablet.:cool::confused:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there,
. BC is a great rom. You would like it. I did.
. I just updated the original post with newer releases from Roebeet.
. Nvflash is a recovery tool which runs on a PC (and the tablet is connected to it in APX mode). The nvflash program takes over the control of the tablet and flash recovery images onto the tablet. If your tablet arrives with 1.2.4349, then you can flash BC using method <D> as you planned.
Dave

c1tobor

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks Dave ...that clears up a bit of my confusion....got about 36 hrs. till my toy arrives...on my son's birthday..(but the Tab is for Dad....lol)

sachin

Jun 18, 2011
Hi myDave,

thanks for compiling the list of steps.

I just bought a gTablet and want to install 'Brilliant Corners'. The TapnTap version showed in UI is 1.2.4349.
I have not installed anything on this tablet yet.
Can you tell me which of the above steps to follow : C> or D>?
Also, do I need to install ClockWorkMod v08 before starting on C> or D>?

Thanks
Sachin

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there, good choice that you made.
Use section <D> with the latest releases (1.2.0 and supplement 1.2.1). I just revised the section to further reduce confusion for new user.
Let us know how it works out for you.

Dave,

sachin

Jun 18, 2011
I was just on the verge of returning this to the store as the orig software was so bad and unusable :(

I used Step D> and installed 1.1.0 and am loving it :). Everything is so nice.
I also applied the Android market Fix and now I can access apps like facebook and Yahoo Finance...which were earlier unavailable.

Thanks again.
Sachin

thomaslarsen1

Jul 17, 2011
Hello! Glad to have found this forum. I have a new G Tablet with 1.2-4349 bootloader. For the life of me, I can't get it to load up Brilliant Corners! I've downloaded the .rar file, unzipped it, and copied the recovery folder and update.zip file over to the root of the device as the directions say. When I reboot the machine, I get little messages in the upper left saying 'Recovery key detected' and right below that, 'Booting recovery kernel image.' (It shows the birds and viewsonic loco with the white background on the rest of the screen.) And then nothing. It just sits at this screen and stays there. If I turn it off and then back on again, it takes me to the regular stock tap n tap user interface that came from the factory.
What am I missing? Thanks for any guidance anyone I can provide; I've spent most of the weekend on this and I'm hoping to get it sorted out before the weekend is over!

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
thomaslarsen1, I am most concerned about your situation, but am glad that your tablet still works with the regular stock tap n tap.

. Your are using section <D> instruction, correct ?
. Connect the tablet to PC, and activate usb transfer on the tablet; from the PC, browse the folder recovery on the internal sd card of the tablet. Is there a 'COMMAND' file in that folder ?

Be patient.

Dave