Need to know of Archos 101 capability's?

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
I am ready to buy a tablet and I was completely set on the archos 101 or 7 internet tablet(which ever was available first, but mainly the 101)

I am a college student who wants to use it for:
1-Internet(online classes)
2-ebooks and ecomics
3-MS office stuff(word processing, data sheets, presenting)
4-Toy(games, and stuff)

Then when I asked around which would be best for me and they all said to check the iPad out, because with a blue tooth keyboard I would be set on all 4 of those.

Everything I see on the internet is all about specs and screen smoothness and build quality, but that doesn't matter as much, I want to know about the real stuff.

I couldn't find any information besides that the archos 101 is an over sized android phone and thats it, so it can do pretty much what my phone can. It just seems like all reviews and info were trying to compare it the iPad on a hardware base, so I need to know if the Droids application/os is up to par, not its build or anything.

Main Questions:
Is there an app. for me to take my .cbr files and read them in a comic book viewer?

Is there an app. for me to take my eBooks(pdf mainly) and read them in an ebook viewer(like iBooks) which contains a dictionary to instantly check words definition?

Is there an app. to do MS Office things like the iPads Pages/Keynote/Numbers?

Lesser questions:
Does the screen change if flipped over to show someone a picture?

Can it do GPS and navigation?

CAN THE DROID DO EVERYTHING THE IPAD CAN? or Can it do everything the iPad can but Better and then some?

Thanks for any comments, make me a believer!

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
Well I spent all day trying to find a store that would allow me to use a Archos 101!
The only thing I found is an Archos 7 and iPad.

I don't want to sound like an android hating nerf herder, but I the iPad was a lot more up my ally! So much that I can hardly see myself getting any droid tablet.

The iPad even though $500, it would be more than the toy I wanted out of the archos. I was able to do a 3 paragraph essay, like I do every monday for english, just as fast I could with a keyboard, by just using my finger in portrait mode.

I know the Droid can do everything the iPad can for the most part, but the iPad had the overall better experience.

No flash, usb, sd, hdmi and 16:9 is a shame, but for what I want in a tablet, the droid does not offer the better bargin!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
If you were comparing the 7 and not the 70 to the IPad, then it is no wonder or comparison to the IPad. The 7 is so last year generation (Feb/Mar 2010). The 70 is the newer model. The 101 is as I use it, more and more of a notebook replacement for me. The 101 is also easier to find to buy with each week. I got my 32Gb 101 for less than $400 (101/16 $350 + 16Gb MicroSD $22). I could not buy that with an IPad and the extended functionality which the IPad does not yet offer.

Look about. I would not get an IPad over my Archos now at all. The capacitive screeen is great. and If you read the non-IPad fanboi reviews. It really shines. There are issues. But there are issues with IPads too.

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
You know what I found that out last night, and it wasn't even the 70 or the internet tablet, it was the archos 7 home tablet! Using Droid 1.6 or something!

OK, I cannot log into any of my school websites because they are JAVA heavy!
I found out that not only is Flash not available, but Java, Python and any third party that will tap into their iTunes app store commision!

So last night I have the first Droid that had Anroid OS. I was able to browse the internet as flawless as the iPad, and were talking the crappiest screen on the Droids because it was the first not to mention I wasn't using wifi at first. Then it has Documents to Go, and every software that I would ever use on a laptop ready to go in the Market! Which are all identical to iPad, and better!

So yeah, people say that iPad can do anything the archos can, but it can't.
The archos with its 16:9 screen is more capable of doing the tasks needed to get done. The mac chat said this after I told them that every Utah Online College student would never buy the iPad and they said "Well its not suppose to replace your laptop, why don't you look at our Mac Tops?" I told them "These things are internet tablets, and it wasn't like I was asking it to do my homework" and they never replied back after 5 mintes, so I closed the box.

So yeah, F any iPad, I don't care what any fanboy says, these things are suppose to be internet tablets, and if you can't even use half the websites on earth, well for a supposive Superior product can't even do the basic functions like flash, come on?!?

If you want to give up: Free Flash Games, Free TV and Movies HuLu, No building any websites, countless videos that use Java and Flash, and WTF "Nobody uses java anymore" -Steve Jobs, Ok I was going to start my Computer Science 1400w/1405 this semester but didn't have the CIS 1020 done. This class is learning how to program with Java, to become a Computer Engineer. So if I am lucky I never work for
Steve "The Hand" Jobs

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
Nice little rant there but you hit the nail on the head. For the few small issues that some people claim the archos has, I would still take it over the ipad every day of the week and would save money in the process.

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
Well after I found out some new things, the iPad can do everything I need.

I would become my:

Handheld gaming device

Laptop

eBook Reader

Remote for Comcast TV, Desktop, printer and even apple tv

and more than can I can think!

There is nothing I can't do on one, I had my facts wrong. But The archos can do all these things also, but here is how it breaks down:

I can't try any archos at any store, so if I risk getting one, then I would get it for
350$ and if I end up not liking the version I get and returning it to get the 7" or 5" or return it, then were talking over 400$ spent, and thats if I didn't get the Archos 9.

The iPad I have used several times, and can use it before I buy it. My mac store doesn't have restock fee with in certain time. So even though I might pay more, I would be paying not that much more for the iPad, at most 200$ if I get the 8gb archos 10.

But since the iPad is the one that all want to beat, I guess I won't be missing out.

If I could walk into best buy or an archos store, things would be different but I can't buy something without trying it or something close.

So unless I change my mind by tomorrow, then I will have an iPad.

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
I agree the lack of being able to see, hold, try the archos is a big let down but i risked buying one and was glad i did. i wouldnt say the ipad was bad but it is limited. but, if it does everything you want and you are willing to pay the extra to 'try before you buy' then i guess its a good option.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
The one thing I couldn't get an ipad to do was file sharing. No USB "thumbdrive" mode. That was a game killer for me. I got the Archos 10.1 instead,

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
Is the Android market on my Droid 1 the same that will be on the Archos 101??

Because there seems to be a lot of paid apps in iTunes store for it, and a lot of the apps cost around 5$+.

There were some useful free apps just on iTab, but there are some things I am not finding when looking on the iPad market.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I own the Archos 70 Internet Tablet w/ 250 GB HD.Its the same as the 101 but with a 7.0" screen and a 250 GB Hard drive instead of SD Card slots (The Hard Drive acts as the SD Card).

The Capacitive screen is as responsive as my Motorola Droid and Droid2Global phones. I updated to the latest firmware: The Archos runs Android 2.2.1 (latest firmware), has a processor clocked to 800 or 1000 Mhz, I'm still not sure which, but its OpenGL gaming is way beyond what you think it should be able to do! (especially considering it only has 256 Megs RAM). It has 2 Gigs internal Storage for apps (more than enough, I've noticed). I had to apply the Google Market Hack (Check the Archos subforums here, I have a stickied thread detailing it), in order to get the stock Google Market, but it works dang near flawlessly. It plays any video I want, I loaded Documents to go, and I can look at any file I want there, too. It comes with a mini-HDMI plug that you can display your screens display on an HDTV, and use your Tablet as a control pad (works quite well for watching movies, for example, I tested it).

I didn't play with it myself but I saw enough Youtube videos to see how responsive the screen was, how it worked, etc...
I ordered mine from Droid Pad

It also has a built-in Blue-tooth and USB tethering option to tether directly with cell phones.

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
Well I was able to get an iPad with a 2 week no restocking fee to check it out.

My only other option was the Archos 7 Home Tablet for 179.99$ Which is way more cheaper but my Droid phone worked better.

I was thinking about investing in an archos 5, and using it as my phone with skype.

But I will play with the iPad, maybe do my own review. I don't know if I will return it or not

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Unless you have access to the new V2 of the Archos 7HT, then reconsider. I do not know where you are located. The V2 of the 7HT is only available in limited quantities in EU. The US version is old technology. It is no comparison to the 101 or the 70. If you read and search, you will understand. The version of Android is old. The processor is ancient and unless you are planning just E-Reading, PMP use a simple web browser, you will be disappointed.

SaltSlasher

Jan 16, 2011
Best Buy is only place is SLC which carrys the archos that I know of. and it was just the Archos 7 home tablet which is on the archos site.

I just saw the smaller archos tablets on there site and thought they would very cool for a handheld device to replace my phone, but chances are unless Verizon gets a cooler phone by May, I will be getting the iPhone.

The Archos 5 on the archos site has GPS and stuff like a phone. I thought that I could use it for a phone, instead of paying 30$ a month for this Droid 1.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
The market included on the Archos is not the standard android market. There is a place you can go and install it though. Many apps will be the same, but not 100%.

zadria7

Feb 8, 2011
The market included on the Archos is not the standard android market. There is a place you can go and install it though. Many apps will be the same, but not 100%.

i have the archos 101 internet tablet and am looking for a way to download skype. where can i go to install the standard android market?