Newb request for sideloading after rooting sucessfully with autonooter 3.0

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I am very new to rooting. The first attempt was a bad root about 2 weeks ago. With autonooter 2.0, nothing really worked well. So I watched the videos on youtube how to install and uninstall and reset my NC back to stock. Then recently I put B&N's update to 1.1 on. things seem much better with that. And then the weekend happened, and I saw the fun people were having with successfully rooted NC's. With the new autonooter why not I said. Well I am glad I tried it. It was great. The only problem I had was getting winimage to work right and ended up using Win32diskimager. I am using a Win 7 32bit system.

I wanted to put on Angry Birds but Android market and Appbrain would not let me down load it. So I grabbed it from another download site. I also downloaded Doom as well for testing. I put them both on the root of the SD card. I grabbed ES File Explorer. And clicked on the APK to install it. I got the sad message of "INSTALL BLOCKED" Installation of download apks is not supported.

Ok my question is what is the simplest procedure to get this ability enabled? There are so many threads and I am not sure what snippets mean this or that. Out of context it's hard to follow. It's quite a bread crumb trail between Youtube,XDA,and this lovely website. Thanks if you can help.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Did you make sure to check the "Unknown Sources" box in the Settings->Applications tab?

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
Which settings under which Applications tab? There are so many, lol. When I click on android market it just takes me to the home page.

Last edited:

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
ok for some reason it rechecked itself, and reading below that it says app's apk must be copied to /system/app . Alright is this folder to be created on the SD card or do I have to access the root drive of the Nook color and put the apk there? If this is so, ES Explorer seems to only let me see whats on my SD card. Is there another explorer to see whats on the NC?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
No you can install an app from any folder on sd card. Are you sure you have the correct apk file? You should be able to get angry birds off the market. Are you sure you are rooted?

note: es file explorer can see both sd card and internal storage.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I was under the assumption I would be rooted if I could load apps onto the NC. If you mean am i rooted correctly, I have no idea. I have Android market and a whole bunch of apps I grabbed from the limited market on the NC and also some off of Appbrain. All I used was autonooter 3. Grabbed Zeam launcher and Es File explorer to help. If there are other apps to ROOT me along, I don't know which ones those would be. Softkeys and Zeam are tied into the hardware home button, if that aint root I am lost. Oh I am an idiot with ES Explorer, I found I could explore the system if I touch the far left button. Still I wonder why I am blocked to install apks.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Open Nook Color Tool > check box "Allow Non-Market Apps".

Please clarify where this Unknown sources box is and what application this refers to.

Just follow Rico's quote above...you don't even need to reboot...if the box is checked, uncheck it and check it again, then close NookColor Tool, you should be good to go after that.

Appbrain doesn't work with the 1.1ROM but does work if you just update to 1.1 and then run the autonooter 3.0 (the dev that created the 1.1ROM included a new market that doesn't work with appbrain.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
dangerousdee, do you have the application "nook color tools" on your nook? If not it may not be rooted correctly. Do you have the app Superuser? Also are you using a home replacement launcher? Lastly you should be able to go to https://market.android.com/ and use it with computer and nook color like appbrain use to do before the new market.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Your assumption would be right and you are also correct just having apps installed doesn't mean your NC is rooted correctly. Go to the market and get a file browser named ASTRO, give it a shot. Like I said, I only know of two reasons an application won't install: wrong version for your device or security setting: non-market app. I haven't used autonooter 3.0 and since it does many things for you, there is a chance it didn't properly perform or install this feature for you. You could place your "autonooter 3.0" sd card back in your NC and let it re-root your device. This would not change any of your other installed apps or settings. If you market works, I would be more concerned on why I was unable to download apps from it.

"Unknown Sources" box in the Settings->Applications tab?

This is a setting in option if you are running stock android 2.0~2.2. Our NC is running a modified 2.1 version and don't have that exact menu. In Nook Color Tools, "allow non-market apps" serves the same purpose.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
Yes I have Nook Color tools. I have Superuser as well. I am using Zeam. And I am using https://market.android.com/ and have used appbrain. Apparently it took two tries to uncheck and recheck the Nook Color Tools >Allow Non market Apps. I was able to drop the apk of Angry Birds as a test into a folder I name APKS on my SD card. Went to ES File Explorer found that folder, clicked on the Angry birds apk and it gave me the option to install. Thank you all so much for making this task much easier on the brain.

dangerousdee, do you have the application "nook color tools" on your nook? If not it may not be rooted correctly. Do you have the app Superuser? Also are you using a home replacement launcher? Lastly you should be able to go to https://market.android.com/ and use it with computer and nook color like appbrain use to do before the new market.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I will grab that browser ASTRO as well. While rooting a NC is not exactly something I would leave to grandma or a ten year old, without technical backgrounds. It is becoming easier as fellow enthusiasts work hard to help the process along. I am not a newb for many things concerning pcs etc, but this is a new frontier for me. A rather exciting one, as I see the future and it is filled with tablets strewn about the house. I see Tshirts that change slogans and designs at the mere touch of a software keyboard. I see my lunch is ready and I better go grab it. Thanks again fellow Nookies you've helped me make my Nook Color an even better device.

Your assumption would be right and you are also correct just having apps installed doesn't mean your NC is rooted correctly. Go to the market and get a file browser named ASTRO, give it a shot. Like I said, I only know of two reasons an application won't install: wrong version for your device or security setting: non-market app. I haven't used autonooter 3.0 and since it does many things for you, there is a chance it didn't properly perform or install this feature for you. You could place your "autonooter 3.0" sd card back in your NC and let it re-root your device. This would not change any of your other installed apps or settings. If you market works, I would be more concerned on why I was unable to download apps from it.

"Unknown Sources" box in the Settings->Applications tab?

This is a setting in option if you are running stock android 2.0~2.2. Our NC is running a modified 2.1 version and don't have that exact menu. In Nook Color Tools, "allow non-market apps" serves the same purpose.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I have to desagree with you, dangerousdee, about the grandma. If I would have chosen to produce kids, I would be a grandma and I assure you no technical background. But after I read everything about rooting I choose whose instructions I wanted to follow and I didn't have any problem. Let's not discourage the multitudes of grandmas and toddlers ready to root. I'm going to borrow what Rico once said to me:-even a caveman can do it!-
Gloria