Nook update

zero9046

Jan 20, 2011
When i got my nook and updated it, it was at software version 1.0.0. Is there any real reason that i should go ahead and update to 1.0.1 or would it be ok to just sit on 1.0.0 until BN comes out with a 2.2 update?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
most updates that are pushed are just bug fixes so if you like it the way it is then you should be ok leaving it

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Several owners have complained that like it or not, 1.0.1 came over the air anyway. If you root and stay with 1.0.0, there is reportedly a way to "block" OTA updates, but I don't think it's proven yet.

Either way, 1.0.1 is harmless. I'd update.

-Matt

zero9046

Jan 20, 2011
I might just be lazy and not update until 2.2. I haven't gotten the 1.0.1 OTA update yet for some reason.

Sent from my Nook Color

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I might just be lazy and not update until 2.2. I haven't gotten the 1.0.1 OTA update yet for some reason.

Sent from my Nook Color
Dumb question, but: you have wifi on pretty much all the time, right? That might be a factor.

I think other owners need to chime in here, but regarding 2.2: there were rumors it'd be coming in January, or even Q1, but the rumor hill has been quiet for several weeks. So I wouldn't base your decision on when 2.2 comes...it might be a while, and when it does come, I half-worry it will lack much/some of the functionality of vanilla Froyo (due to B&N and their desire to focus on reading-related apps). There are dev projects at the moment working on both Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs. That may end up being a more realistic Q1 option.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Another interesting development from the Nook Developer forum.
This is what Ted Patrick, the community manager, wrote regarding timelines -
1. Enable developer mode in 1.1 and new SDK – Jan 2011
2. Create ingestion, approval, merchant support for developer with backend systems – Feb 2011
3. Deliver Android 2.2+ Flash/AIR support – Feb 2011
4. Launch application support on NOOKcolor – March 2011
This seems to suggest that –

1. In January 2011, we’ll see Nook Dev team add the ability to test Nook Color Apps on the Nook Color. This should really help.
  2. In February 2011, developers will be able to upload their apps for testing. Also, backend systems and the store pages will be setup.
  3. In March 2011, the first Nook Color apps will come out.

March, 2011 would mean the very end of Q1, 2011. However, given that the Nook Color was released in November 2010, this is very impressive.
Since there are 25 developer partners working on launch apps, and since there is a decent amount of interest in making Nook Apps amongst developers at the Nook Developer forums, it’s possible that the Nook App Store debuts with 50 to 100 apps.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...eline-updates-development-nook-app-store.html