Please help! Tethering issue

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
My brand new A70 arrived this morning. After it had a full charge, I did all the things it tells you to do, no problem there.

Tried to set up the wifi, that works some of the time. I connect, lose it, connect, get dropped. sigh.

Next I try to tether to my cell phone. Follow all the instructions. Now it says the tablet and cell are paired, but not connected. I can't figure out what to do next.

Where's the crying icon when you need it? I'm so bummed. Can anyone help? Please?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
First two questions
1, Which are you using to connect to your phone. Bluetooth DUN or PAN. The answer will lead to the next question.
2, What is the phone you are trying to tether? The Phones fall into three categories.
a. Phones which you can connect via PAN
b. Phones which you can connect via DUN
c. Phones which there are connectivity/tethering issues.

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
I can't see where it says DUN or PAN....where would I find it? Sorry I'm such an idiot.

Don't think it asked me to pick one or the other, on either the phone or the tab.

The phone is a motorola Droid, running version 2.2.1

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The Droid should work fine. When you say tether, just to be sure. I am talking about using Bluetooth Tethering. Not direct connection with a cable. Droid to Archos bluetooth tethering should work. Read these instructions. How to Tether Motorola Droid. This is exactly what I did to tether my wife's phone to her tablet.

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
Yes, I've been trying to do the bluetooth. I'm off to try your link. Thank you and wish me luck!

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
Ok, dumb question. It says to download the driver/program to my desktop. Should I download it to the tablet? Or my laptop?

If worse comes to worse, could I just use a USB cable from the tablet to the phone? The wifi in the house is horrible, always has been, and I've changed routers a couple of times. The only thing that works well on wifi is my Kindle.

Another question, do I need the download for the 64-bit or 32? I looked and couldn't find it.

Wish there was someplace I could take my phone and tablet to have this done. I may have to take up drinking before this is all said and done, LOL.

Last edited:

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
Sooo, this morning I've been trying to download the program to the tablet. Won't do it. I'm getting a message that says
"Download unsuccessful. Cannot download. The content is not supported on the device".

Am I doing something wrong?

Feb 7, 2011
Sooo I didn't read the links posted but figured I'd throw down a few fyi's here.

The original droid is like the only one that does not support infrastructure wifi signals. Android, the OS, does not connect to anything BUT infrastructure wifi signals. So, assuming you have rooted your Droid (you'd have to be rooted in order for the program to work), wireless tethering does not work (myself and another guy are working on it... the wpa_supplicant.conf file is driving me nuts, but he had the same issue on an eLocity tab running android 2.2, we assume it should work with Archos when we do, we'll post it). The original droid sends out ONLY an adhoc wireless signal therefor ONLY bluetooth will work.

Clear all your bluetooth profiles and settings, turn the bluetooth tether app on the droid on, make sure there's no Access Control issues turned on. Meander to Archos, Settings > Wireless & Networks > Call phone Tethering > set pairing when prompted to. Setting should show "Paired but not connected", click back and the phone should show under the listing of devices one is able to choose to tether to. Try to connect.

On a personal note, the first 20 times I did this were EPIC FAILS. It would connect.... eventually, but the minute I disconnected it was a nightmare to connect. However, something happen and it now connects pretty painlessly. In my power bar I have the option to tether to my phone and it takes 1 or 2 clicks for it to tether... usually the 1st fails but the second works.

Good luck and hold in there till we figure this wpa_supplicant file or you upgrade your phone to anything but an original droid.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Yes agree re the upgrade suggestion

I have an HTC Desire HD and I have found the simple reliable approach is to use the HTC Portable Hotspot Application that came on my phone.

Start it up and serach for a wireless connection with your Archos and that's it.

I also have a NetComm MyZone which works in the same way but that is a dedicated portable hotspot which supports up to 6 devices I think. It works a treat too!

Last edited:

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
Thanks Unreadhyperion and rc211e, for the information. I'm a ways from being able to upgrade, and I really like my phone, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I keep hoping it'll magically do it, LOL. I still get the "paired but not connected" on both the phone and the tab no matter what I do. I wish I was more of a techie, I'm afraid if I tried to root the droid, it'd detonate.

Unread, I hope you get it figured out soon!!!!

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
Thanks RC, I found it. My phone needs to be rooted, and I found their directions, but I have no idea what they're telling me to do. I'd hate to blow up my phone! Maybe I can find someone locally who know how to root it.....it's a while till I can upgrade.

Feb 7, 2011
Started a new thread about this issue. Haven't had a lot of response... just one person suggesting I didn't have root. But I'm starting to think this isn't the place to post for advice on this matter... might have more luck on xda.. if I get the time I'll post over there and see if I can get some help. I think I've meandered onto the files but even with root I can not change them.

tweeter

Jan 16, 2011
Thanks once again Unread, I'll wait to see what you find out. I've never rooted anything, and quite honestly I don't understand how it all works. Hope you can find some answers....maybe I'll get brave enought to try it!

Feb 7, 2011
No problem, I've rooted more OG Droids than I care to count, the Droid X, Evo, Droid 2, and Droid 2 Global. (Mostly all the same method but man HTC's are WAY more involved). What's the phone you're running with? If an OG Droid we can have it done within a matter of minutes.