Problem with ClockworkMod Recovery

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
tried to get into CWR, it boots into the system.
Tried to flash clockwork recovery, once it was done, told it to reboot into recovery.
Now its in a boot loop of "touch the future of reading"
this sucks.

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Y'all must love android cause its an addiction to drama. Got my nook in a boot loop, read heaps of threads, found a boot sd zip, then dropped in a recovery fix zip. Now i've got it back working again. I'ts very addictive.
[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers
then, this recovery zip
[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair - xda-developers
back to working now.

I was going to update CWR to 3.0.1, but my CWR now works fine. Should I still update it ?
( sorry, if I "should" update it. Can I just drop the cwr 3.0.1.zip on my boot sd and then install it that way ? )
why I ask, is that rico in his post, said that you should wipe the cache, wipe dalche cache before install a rom / kernel or theme, but did I "need" to, just to install cwr 3.0.1

Steve

p.s. I used the recovery_fix.zip from the second link above, not the recovery_fix 3.0.1.zip.
Should I still install cwr 3.0.1 ?

Last edited:

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Having next problems.
I grabbed the uSD image for my 4gb card from here
RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland

have chosen to go with the phiremod v5.2, got the googleapps zip and the OC kernel.
when I boot my uSD card, wipe the cache, then wipe the dalvik cache the nook locks up and none of the volume / power / n buttons work.
so i popped the card out and reboot the device with power button, then the nc stalls at the android screen where the robot has all the blue behind him.

So i popped the recovery disk i made from above, installed the recovery zip over it, and it has rebooted into b&n again, all fine.
anything I am doing wrong ? ( my cwr now says 3.0.1, somehow )
711cefa0.jpg

Last edited:

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
I am guessing from the above that that image is a cwr image, and not a image that I can boot and install a rom from.
RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland
my bad,
is this the right place to get the image I need to make a uSD ?
[ROM][CM7] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. with updater - xda-developers

I am getting better, i got myself out of the android locked up boot screen and back to b&n without having a cry !

**re-reading threads, looks like "I was wrong again".**

Without a SD card in the nook color, I go to rom manager, reboot into recovery and I am currently on 3.0.0.5.0.
I have seen Rico's thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ry-official-cwm-3-0-1-0-update-flashable.html
I have seen facemans thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

Facemans thread said to use the .rar from the rapidsource link, that is the one I used, but after I wipe the dalvik cache the NC freezes and all buttons become unusable.
- do I need to upgrade the cwr to 3.0.1 before using a uSD that is based on 3.0.1 ?
to go forward, I need:
a 4gb image to write to my card ( please link me if im wrong, or confirm which is the right one please )
cwr 3.0.1.zip
Update my CWR to 3.0.1
Flash my new rom to my NC

1. Correct ?

so if I use the 4gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.img ( not the 4gb_clockwork-3.0.1.img ) to make a uSD,
then put cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip on that card, get into CWR, install from SD ( after removing the cache x2 ) and reboot.
Then I can move my roms over, reboot to cwr which should be 3.0.1.0 by then, clear the caches, then install the zips ( phiremod v5.2, google apps and OC kernel ).
02b0196f.png

2. Correct ?

I am really sorry for all the questions, I have been reading, but I admit to reading across AT.net, XDA and nookdevs.com and allowing myself to download too many zips and clicking too quickly.
Steve

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Steve you're jumping all over the place - you should have READ rico's post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html and COMPREHENDED it - it was laid out nice and clear

it think it would be best to start back up - remove CWR and start fresh
once rooted
1) download ROM Manager, install it - it should give you 3.0.0.5 (it's been a while so i can't remember if they upgraded this to 3.0.0.1- regardless point it you should be at 3.0.0.1)
2) once installed, open ROM Manager, click on FLASH CLOCKWORK MOD RECOVERY - this is upgrade you to 3.0.0.1 if you're not already
3) Download bootable SD image - you have the link - xda-developers - View Single Post - [RECOVERY] Making an updated bootable ClockworkMod SD
4) Unrar the file and create a bootable SD image using Win32 imager
5) Copy the ROM (zip file) you want to use to the SD card - i recommend tt.RC2 - http://murdock.snipanet.com/cm_encore_full_teamdesire_tt.RC2-20110407-1700.zip
6) Copy gapps to the SD card http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
7) Power Off Nook, insert SD card into Nook, power on - it should boot into recovery
8) go to MOUNTS and STORAGE -format data and cache
9) Click power button to go back to previous menu
10) select install from zip - select the ROM (see step 5)
11) do the same for gapps
12) go back to the main menu and select MOUNTS and STORAGE
13) select UNMOUNT SD CARD
14) remove SD card, reboot - you're done

you can use this SD card for future upgrading (recommended) and get a separate one for storage - just install the card

next time you want to update the ROM, just download the zip file and copy it to the boot SD card you created above or the storage SD you installed,

if you were using the boot SD, put the SD card in, reboot and you will be in recovery menu, select install from zip
if you were using the storage, just go to your ROM Manager and select reboot to recovery and repeat 'select install from zip'

to your question 2
it is normal for the nook to freeze after wiping dalvik cache, if this happens do not take off the SD card, just press the power button and reboot so it takes you back to recovery so you can jsut proceed to install the zips

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
it is normal for the nook to freeze after wiping dalvik cache, if this happens do not take off the SD card, just press the power button and reboot so it takes you back to recovery so you can jsut proceed to install the zips

AT has gott you all straightened out if you follow the sequence. For the freeze after davlik cache wihich is known and common I will elaborate on his hint above. Hold the power button until it turns off, 5-10 seconds. Once it powers off you can hold tne power and n button togther for 8 seconds to reboot directly into CWR.

One possible solution to avoiding the davlik freeze, which has so far seemed to work for me but not for all, is to enter the davlik cache confirmation screen (a whole bunch of Nos and one yes) and use the power button to back out once screen then go back in and select yes. Like I said I have been having success avaoiding the freeze this way.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

JP

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
got the NC back to stock, re-rooted it and setup everything. Downloaded ROM manager and hit flashclockwork mod / manager. It did all that and then I hit reboot into recovery. Screen popped up saying sd fail or install failed on reboot. Popped the sd out and rebooted it no probs. Might delete ROM with nook tools and re-install it again. Was pretty tired last night and back at work today after having a week off with baby number 1 so its on the backburner if it doesnt play ball.
Thanks again for all the help guys, has made it easier with such a giving and knowledgable community.
Steve

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Flashed the clockworkmod app and it installed on the SD card.
got the NC to boot back in CWR, formatted the SD card and put the cwmr.3.0.1.zip, it installed.
When I hit reboot, it went back into cwr, but it listed it as 3.0.1.
So I put my boot sd in, booted it, removed the cache and the davlik and then install a rom from zip.
It said installed, so I went back and tried to install googleapps.zip, it said failed (bad), so I went out and tried to install it again. it said failed.
Hit reboot, went to touch the future screen, went to the N screen, android screen, then the NC rebooted and has been stalled on the android screen now for 15 minutes.
did a hard reset holding the power button, it says loading, then the android on the side of the screen in text, then the android boot screen. Stops there again.
rebooted into car, cleared the cache and the dalvik and then rebooted the system… Hangs at the adored image boot screen still.
Sigh.

What i've done in the last day.
Reset to 0.
Registered b&n account.
autonootered.
setup wifi, setup market, setup gmail, setup youtube.
downloaded rom manager
flashed clockwork recovery.
rebooted into recovery.
with a non bootable sd card, installed cwmr3.0.1.zip off the card.
then cleared the cache's, rebooted with boot sd card, installed the new tablet tweaks mod, said installed successful, tried to install googleapps.zip, said it failed, and BAD and there was a caution in the background near the android. rebooted and now here.
really tried to follow rico's instructions, still not getting any closer.
Steve

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
reset / factory data in cwr, ran an uninstall cwr off my bootable sd card and hit reboot.
Now I have a cyanogen mod 7 android on a skateboard. WTF.
Its at the home screen now. WTF.
ok, so im on the custom rom now... and scared. What should I do ?

1. I don't have the android app store
Going to try and reboot to recovery and install googleapps.zip again :-(