Reported WiFi Issues w/A28, A32, A43, A70, A101

wm408

Dec 3, 2010
Hey Everyone,

Got my Archos 101 today, updated to 2.2.1 through archos firmware update (over the air / OTA). Side loaded the Android market as well.

I was at work and got on the wifi network there, a 802.11 G on channel 6.
This evening I got home, both my networks on 5ghz and 2.4ghz were set to N only. (note android doesnt detect 5ghz, only 2.4)
-- I was unable to connect

I found this info from archosfans.com:

Official Statement from Archos on Froyo for Archos

Wi-Fi:
We have identified 2 issues with Wi-Fi:
i) Problem: it is impossible to connect on access points using channels above 11. Workaround: configure the access point to use another channel. Problem already solved internally and will be published in a firmware update very soon.
ii) Problem: on some devices wifi gets stuck sometimes with WPA2/AES encryption. Workaround: use a different encryption mode on the access point if possible. We are working with our chipset provider to find a solution.

So I said ok... and dropped it to channel from 11 to 10 because I did have a problem and wasn't sure by what they meant saying: "... impossible connect access points above 11".

-- no dice

So I dropped my N setting to G.

-- success

I just wanted to plug this for anyone else who got irritated. I spent about 30 minutes retyping my WPA 2 key 5 or 6 times before I realized Im not that error prone!

Does this suck? Hell yes, the tech spec for the Archos 101 (and probably Archos 7) says 802.11 b/g/n. I want my N damnit! :)

Good luck all with your new Archos devices! The 101 is great.
:D

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I was ready to send this back to the because doesn't want to connect. Still this is what type of business I am and I never seen a brand that won't connect unless the WiFi is DOA. I have some APNs and now assigned for Tablets only. Other APNs for Laptops/Netbooks an etc.. Got the download and it still doesn't give. Strange.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
What are you trying to do. Pairing with BT does provide APN config.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Talking shop, I run each port here has a dedicated line ported into dedicated rack mounted switch for Fast 100 and switch for Gigabit but not daisy chain together. Basically had one high power APN to cover the dwelling to handle about 11-15 wireless nodes. But once the introduction of the tablets into the mix hasn't been the same. Have dedicate APNs for nodes like laptops, netbooks wireless prts and now since yesterday have APNs for tablet only. So far this works out fine. Archos doesn't see to like my top end high power 2T/2R with 2x SMA rated @ 10dBi on N600 Dual Band with Chipset from Atheros WNPU 680MHz / 64MB RAM as connects then disconnects or just completely drops the connection all together. With WiFi Buddy on the Archos I can see how weak the signal is getting to it. Strange. I had left the Archos in the firmware download mode right on top of the APN and it still never completed the cycle with firmware. Adding a 3rd APNs into my HO/SOHO seems to be working out fine. I was able to get the firmware update and complete the cycle so now I am on OS 2.2 and got GE (Market) to work out fine.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Tip of my hat to you, understand and am impressed.

What I have is a hodgepodge of SOHO,SMB, APs, switches and routers which I trade out on demand for my test network. Most of my work is done anymore in an ESXi enviroment on the VServer/VDesktop for Domain and DDNS testing. All my Android work is either at the SDK emulator or "playing" with a Tab after touch and tweak of the Firmware. I find the response from your Archos not that surprising from my web trawling. There seems to be some WNICs which either have a defective wave solder connection or a poorly set antenna. I luckily have not had that issue. I have had to reroute some of the NBs I have to improve Signal/Noise ratios. So no stranger to this issue

I am still at the app level of my A5/500 and A101/16. I am currently playing with Ad Hoc setup without needed a phone for the 101. It usually takes me two-three weeks before I am ready to pop open the case and inspect the MB and Antennas.

Teamflail

Dec 6, 2010
Hey Everyone,

Got my Archos 101 today, updated to 2.2.1 through archos firmware update (over the air / OTA). Side loaded the Android market as well.

I was at work and got on the wifi network there, a 802.11 G on channel 6.
This evening I got home, both my networks on 5ghz and 2.4ghz were set to N only. (note android doesnt detect 5ghz, only 2.4)
-- I was unable to connect

I found this info from archosfans.com:

Official Statement from Archos on Froyo for Archos

Wi-Fi:
We have identified 2 issues with Wi-Fi:
i) Problem: it is impossible to connect on access points using channels above 11. Workaround: configure the access point to use another channel. Problem already solved internally and will be published in a firmware update very soon.
ii) Problem: on some devices wifi gets stuck sometimes with WPA2/AES encryption. Workaround: use a different encryption mode on the access point if possible. We are working with our chipset provider to find a solution.

So I said ok... and dropped it to channel from 11 to 10 because I did have a problem and wasn't sure by what they meant saying: "... impossible connect access points above 11".

-- no dice

So I dropped my N setting to G.

-- success

I just wanted to plug this for anyone else who got irritated. I spent about 30 minutes retyping my WPA 2 key 5 or 6 times before I realized Im not that error prone!

Does this suck? Hell yes, the tech spec for the Archos 101 (and probably Archos 7) says 802.11 b/g/n. I want my N damnit! :)

Good luck all with your new Archos devices! The 101 is great.
:D

Yes, not being able to use the G is not good at all, possibly a deal breaker. Hopefully there is a fix in the very, very near future else my 101 might just go up on Ebay.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This is I have to say typical ARCHOS growing pains. Go to Archos and look at the firmware changelogs. You will see similar situations and growing pains. Over at Archosfans, this is a common source of headaches. Generally things like this get fixed. It is the nice to haves which are left hanging.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
WiFi is an issue then. I run here both mixes 802.11g and 802.11n but now push more N300. I don't use Dual N600 eventhough that's the main APNs. I have N450 but nothing can use it only N300 out it. The Archos should run on any WiFi router. But doesn't seem to be the case. Belkin N+ runs great, but that's 2T/2R and I do have a new 3T/3R @ 20dBm ERP on it's way prior to the Archos. Hope that does a better job.

28, 32, 43, 70, and 101 are the same for wireless. 70 and 101 should have larger ANT than what's in the 28, 32, 43. I really like the idea of 802.11n option. Most tablets are only 802.11g @ 54 (20 to 30mbps)

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Thank this is what I do in the real world. Funny when I tell the NE and SNE they say ah! Interesting I have Cisco Network map I can link you too and see what I have. I haven't posted it yet though since it's huge. Only one tech site gives me the rights to post such a large network map. Anyway I have up date now to show what I've explained to you.

But it's a shame that in these tablets when it comes to internal SMA it's usually just to thin pieces of metal for 2T/2R or 1T/2R setup. So you have the 101 or are you getting one.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Got both the A101/16 and A5/500. Logic was to either BT PAN or AdHoc Stream using SMB or kludge USB host. I do sec in real world, and HW hack on side. Not afraid of HW or SW given enough time. My Attitude is if you can read a map, you can read a circuit board. And the joy of getting function when told can't be done is ultimate. Ah well, back to the grind.
Work now might interest you. What is critical S/N ratio point to impact perf on mult 2.4 APs in a small env where no control of neighbor company Channels? Doing VOIP, WLAN, diag equip adhocs and other typical 2.4 noisemakers (Breakroom Microwaves). In an environment where all 13 channels+ can be found in use.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Oh I C! I ended up with 7T/7R solution for the Archos , my other tablets also now peak-up also. All the 802.11n are on Gig Controller with 832KB for Packet Memory Buffer RLT design but their Gig Controller are really quick. Just can't do 150 to 300mbps over 802.11n with 10/100 port. 10/100 is really 6/60mbps as the Gig is only 600mbps if you have the right Gig router you could get 800mbps out of the Gig Controller. FCC now as allowed home usage of 10Gig so all these Gig networks will be 10 Gig but as we know that 10 Gig is really 6 Gig. N450 never really taken a hold onto the market.

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
Hello. I have a 4 day old A70 and I think it has a problem with the wifi hardware.

At home, I have a Netgear WNDR3700 dualband wireless router. All my other devices (HTC Android phone, Laptop, Netbooks, Vizio TV, etc.) have no connection problem. Speed is good. My A70 can connect but there is too much latency on the connection. AppLib populates the screen very slowly, web pages seems slow to load, in comparison to my other devices. I cannot connect my A70 to our OWA server at work, and one more thing, it cannot establish VPN connection to our PPTP gateway at work, either. It seems like due to the latency, SSL packets are discarded resulting in not able to connect to our OWA.

If someone out there with Netgear WNDR3700 and an Archos A70, do you experience unacceptable latency on your Internet connection?

Thanks in advance.

wm408

Dec 3, 2010
That was N that I couldn't use, G works fine.

Like the post from Archos says, WPA2 doesnt work right now, and theres problems with channels 11 and above.

I verify that WPA seems to work fine right now. WPA2 holds a connection but drops out like crazy, (not the wifi link but something else that is blatantly obvious because you cant load any web pages for example, and then you can... and then you can't).

Thaz it.

Yes, not being able to use the G is not good at all, possibly a deal breaker. Hopefully there is a fix in the very, very near future else my 101 might just go up on Ebay.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
But it's suppose to do N not only G. If I set everything to N only it connects then disconnects. PDT 9" is N connects even M-150 7" is N it connects but not the Archos only G!! G is not the same as N plus the PAN which I should check to see if I can talk to my PC or Cell. Since The WLAN is can't go higher than G54 nor N150 or N300. That's not good. Why cut cost there.

Last edited:

wm408

Dec 3, 2010
Yeah the specs say N. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

But it's suppose to do N not only G. If I set everything to N only it connects then disconnects. PDT 9" is N connects even M-150 7" is N it connects but not the Archos only G!! G is not the same as N plus the PAN which I should check to see if I can talk to my PC or Cell. Since The WLAN is can't go higher than G54 nor N150 or N300. That's not good. Why cut cost there.