[ROM] Honeycomb v4 eMMC 2nd ed. - Flashable ZIP {02/21/11}

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
THIS WILL ERASE YOUR INTERNAL MEMORY (CWR as well)!
This is:
- Deeperblue's HC for NC (installed on eMMC), see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936995
- With dalingrin's OC kernel (1100) instead of stock HC kernel, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451
- Gapps included (I ended up using jleecong's files) see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=937752
- Root (su) included (credit goes to chhaggerty and NuroSlam) see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=941445)

All usual disclaimers apply. Please do not try this if not absolutely sure of what you are doing. Cicada's Froyo on eMMC is a far better option for people looking for stability. I must urge you to consider that deeperblue's HC for Nook Color is under constant upgrade. This means HC v5 could be available very soon.. Maybe you should wait until a more stable version of HC is available. Though deeperblue has done a great job at resolving issues.

NOTE: This version works well, but still has a few bugs..

MAJOR Credit goes to deeperblue for a his impressive work on HC. CM team for helping him. Dalingrin for his constant achievements regarding stable OC kernels..

To avoid having a black screen on boot, I've removed permissions on 'bin/newfs_msdos'. This prevents boot partition from getting corrupt. This means you won't be able to format an SD card from your NC once this is installed. Do it from you PC, or manually with ADB and parted/fdisk.

------EDIT-----
This last paragraph means that some apps won't install while SD is mounted. Either remove SD when having problems with app not installing, or restore permissions (chmod 777 system/bin/newfs_msdos) on newsfs_msdos. If you choose latter option, do not attempt to format SD from your NC from that moment and beyond!

------EDIT-----

I decided to leave dalingrin's kernel by default, as I found that perfomance was noticeably better. If people wish to have a flashable zip to restore to stock HC, please say so.

Instructions:

This file should be used with IOMonster bootable CWR SD image (could also work with internal CWR, but internal CWR will be removed during installation, and if internal CWR crashes during install your NC wont boot again. If that happens to you use the CWR SD and you'll be fine). Download the image, burn to SD and only then copy this flashable zip at the root of the SD.
Download CWR SD image here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922870
Boot with SD inserted, go to 'mounts and storage', and:
- format system, then data and THEN format boot (CWR may crash, simply hard reboot, format should have worked).
- still in mounts and storage, check that system, data are not mounted (it should say 'mount data', not 'unmount data')
- go back with power button, go to 'install zip from sdcard'
- go to 'choose zip from sdcard'
- select 'HC-v4-emmc.zip'

Wait until the end of install. Be patient. It should say 'Install from sdcard complete'. Don't panic if the progress bar doesn't show progress. As long as it says 'Done, all finished'.

Turn off NC.
Remove SD card.

Boot and be happy..

HC/eMMC flashable ZIP file: http://www.multiupload.com/797T7K393P
md5sum c962b33ba234bad6581d573a11cef7ee

Thank you.

PS: it seems that I've left LauncherPro installed on this version. If you're not happy with it, just remove it. I for one have changed LPro settings to open app drawer instantly (see speed options). This does give a slick impression.

PS2: mirrors are welcome.

PS3: FYI, I've personnaly tried out converting data (p6) and cache (p7) to ext4, and making necessary tweaks for it to work along with Dalingrin's kernel. It does seem a bit more responsive. I'm willing to share my uRamdisk with ext4 support, but you need to know how to convert you eMMC partitions. This is risky business and I won't recommend it. This version here is ext3 only. Sorry.​

Second edition release of HC v4 on eMMC
flash with Ext4 Bootable SDCard (see [RECOVERY] EXT4 Compatible Bootable Clockwork SD Card 0.1 (+ tasty treats) - xda-developers).

H4 v2 second edition release, with a few tweaks and updates:
- System, data and cache fs will convert to EXT4, minor performance boost.
- Gingerbread Gapps added: Market, Maps, Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Talk.
- SD card format now works, thus no more issues with installing apps when card inserted (storage menu doesn't always refresh, change setting tab and back)
- Removed LauncherPro, can be installed from market
- More apps available in market, still many missing (i.e, angry birds)
- Ad-hoc fix added
- Rooted, working su (Thanks to j4mm3er). Superuser installed and working
- CWR Ext4 integrated with ugly workaround. Use RecoveryBootUtility app to boot to CWR on internal (Without the need for a bootable SDCARD). Booting to CWR with power+n will not work. You will have to boot to HC, then use Utility app to boot to CWR.
Do not use this internal CWR to flash Froyo or Eclair, use previous Ext3 Bootable CWR sdcard and format system, data and cache before doing so. The Ext4 integrated CWR will only work for this HC version (not previous) and for CM7.
- Added my USB Mass storage utility app (if you're having trouble with a mounted partition, make sure it's unmounted from NC before using utility, i.e unmount sdcard before mounting it to pc). Use this to open sdcard or media on your PC.
- Calendar fix added.
- Maps 5.0, do not upgrade to 5.1. It won't work on HC.
- Gallery 3d added -> working gallery.
- Various tweaks..

Issues:
- Many apps don't work.
- Talk may disconnect sometimes, you'll have to make sure you time settings are correct (don't use automatic setting). You can also try changing time, Force close Talk and launch it again. Sorry for this..
- Location won't work. This is a preview, supposed to be working on a Virtual emulator. Only Mock locations work. If you're adventurous, try enabling mock locations in settings, installing 'Android developer shell' on NC, enabling telnet server in app, and using:
- geo gpsSpoofer start
- geo gpsSpoofer fix [latitude] [longitude]
(geo -help if you have trouble with commands.)
You'll have a working spoofed location. Reboot will erase it..
- Other issues, I'll update if required. I've struggled to get other apps working. But without HC's source, it's pretty much impossible..

NOTE: oddly enough, I've launched maps 5.0 this morning and, though it's asking me to enable location provider, it found my location just a few seconds after opening the app... I don't know it it's Latitude related. I'll investigate..

Instructions:
These differ from above instructions, but you can refer to them if you have a doubt.
- Boot to Ext4 Bootable CWR SD with zip file on it.
- In mounts and storage, format /system, /data and /cache -> MANDATORY!
- In the same menu, make sure /system aren't /data aren't mounted
- make sure sdcard is mounted
- choose zip from sdcard
- flash file WAIT, be patient! Progress will not display, but it will work.
- Remove sdcard, boot to HC.

HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition flashable zip: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
117.33 MB
ac42f8ca2d04e15b8981593e60b0abc1 HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition.zip

Mirror, thanks to MikeSpears:

http://mikeservers.net/nookdev/honey...nd-edition.zip

The internal CWR workaround is ugly to say the least. So if you NC should refuse to boot or bootloops, which I hope won't, flash this boot repair that I'm adding just in case. Just flash it, no need for formatting.. Use a bootable CWR SD Card.

HCext4-boot-repair flashable zip: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
6.8 MB
cf963da4043d91d7f4bf8f784cd02d95 HCext4-boot-repair.zip

Mirrors are welcome.

Do not use this internal 3.0.0.6 CWR to flash Froyo or Eclair, use previous Ext3 Bootable CWR 3.0.0.5 sdcard and format system, data and cache before doing so. The Ext4 integrated CWR will only work for this HC version (not previous) and for CM7.
Changelog

v04 - 02/07/2011
  • increased touchscreen sensitivity and made touchscreen more usable close to the borders (kernel change)
  • fixed heap size issue to get much more programs running (e.g. nook app, kindle app, etc.)

v03 - 02/05/2011
  • fixed screen turning animations and previews in taskswitcher
  • sd card access and secure storage support
  • turned off the debug screen flashes and vibrator
  • added display timings
  • sd card image now usable on 4gb cards
  • changed to a self compiled kernel to make these things work
  • reduced compressed image size

v02 - 02/02/2011
  • sound support
  • patched in some graphics improvements. Can play non-hd videos from m.youtube.com
  • sdcard storage

v01 - 02/01/2011
  • initial release

MD5 (nookhoney04.img.zip) = 27396e63396a59a25f5d6fdbe0341276
http://www.rbrune.de/nookhoney04.img.zip.torrent
http://www.rbrune.de/nookhoney04.img.zip

Last edited by a moderator:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Any other brave soul, besides myself going to try running honeycomb today? Knew I should have brought my card reader to work with me.

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
hehe, just got home but can't find my spare class6 microSD,
have to beat the snow storm to get one :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
hehe, just got home but can't find my spare class6 microSD,
have to beat the snow storm to get one :)

Already have an 8Gb at home waiting for some action. Was going to do froyo but think I'll try honeycomb first.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Any other brave soul, besides myself going to try running honeycomb today? Knew I should have brought my card reader to work with me.

When my new 8GB card comes in later this week, I will take that trip, just to check it out...right now, I only have one card big enough to hold it...well, I guess I could pull the sd card, back it up on my pc, load this, play with it for awhile, and reload my sd card later tonight...okay, rico you just talked me into it! Now I can't wait to get home! Curses!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
me and my 1gb micro will be waiting for payday to get a big brother and try this out. Let me know how it goes for you!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
My problem is going to come when I need ADB (which I know NOTHING about)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
My DL is nearly complete...about 4 minutes left.

(There are several download links in the XDA thread) and all of them are going to take a bit to download, so plan ahead.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am running Honeycomb on my NC! Gonna go play for a bit and will bbl with an update!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Just had to fire up the browser on my honeycomb nook and say hi...this is quite awesome...needs lots of work
But still very awesome

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Just got home, having trouble writing the image. darmeen what win32disk or winimage version are you using?