Steps to make your New Nook Color Awesome [rooting, oc'ing and custom roms]

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
So if something happens, you have a restore point to go back to.

You are free to do whatever you like to do. It is just my personal preference and habit to make a full backup of my NC (system and data) before I make any major changes to the device. I consider any type of flashing roms, kernels, etc. to be a major change and something to be careful of.

Please explain me. Mine is brand new, running 1.0.1 and I have no data on it. Even if something goes wrong, when I restore it will be set to 1.0.1 right ? Then I have to root it again.

TIA :D

and overclocking now :D

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Please explain me. Mine is brand new, running 1.0.1 and I have no data on it. Even if something goes wrong, when I restore it will be set to 1.0.1 right ? Then I have to root it again.

TIA :D

and overclocking now :D

Your backup will be the full system as you have it the moment you backed up...If you were rooted on 1.0.1 (which you would have to be rooted to be running CWR) than that is exactly what you will restore back to. Its like taking a picture of your internal memory, and when it goes to restore that picture, it puts everything back to the exact spot that it was.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you :) but that wasn't the answer I was expecting. Anyways, leave it :)

I OC'd it, everything went normal. But when I restarted, the NC didn't start. I tried many reboots but still, all I saw was "Touch future of reading", then screen went blank. Now I restored it to back using CWR.

So what went wrong ? I read instructions thrice and done everything as mentioned.

Now what to do ? Shall I try OC'ing again ? I thought of putting pre rooted 1.1 and then OC it.

TIA :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
avi, you should restore your backup that you................... oh snap, you didn't make the backup everyone was trying to convince you to make.. I guess your question has now been answered, ehh? lol

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Absolutely !!

[but hey I still had stupid option of complete wipe :/]

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I am going to install 1.1 Pre rooted.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
When overclocking just wipe cache before installing kernel. Do NOT wipe data.

Tips about clockwork recovery...
*edited: see Rico's post on cwr.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks foe the tips :)

But I did not wipe Data, I did "wipe cache partition" and "Wipe Dalvik cache". Then why it went wrong ??

Also either in Androidcentral nor in XDA they mentioned to wipe these both caches.

Now I want to overclock it, shall I once again follow Rico's guide ?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Trying again now :)

BTW I am trying 1.1GHz. Anyhow I have backup of prerooted 1.1 :D

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
It has locked up when I wiped Dalvik Cache.

It shown "Dalvik Cache wiped" and locked up :(

what to do guys ?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
reboot avi....

it happens more often than not when you wipe the dalvik cache

Just hold down the power button til it shuts off, then turn it back on.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Rebooted.

Installed, 1.1GHz kernel and I am getting same error. After "Touch the future of reading", no response. Screen going blank :( what to do ?

By default I was on 1.0.1 > Autonooter > CWR > Pre Rooted 1.1 > Now I am unable to OC it at 1.1Ghz.

Even when I was on 1.0.1 I had faced similar issue.