Sylvania SYNET7LP Work-In-Progress

richardf

Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for the video. Did you say it had a 2.5mm plug? Does it have volume control? Those two things made the Augen 78 worthless.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This is not quite worth putting up on the News board. This unit will be sold on Black Friday by ToysRUs for $140USD. So this will be one of many Black Friday deals.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well why not. SEARS has it for $149.99 right now! I have a second video to show how well it performs just getting that ready as I type this. I am sure they'll fix the issues with this tablet.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
ok so I decompiled their system update and I found where the call to the server is and can probably change that pretty easily, BUT I also found that the system.bin get downloaded(and it's there) to the /local folder. Right now I am trying to figure out what triggers the update so maybe we can bypass the download all together.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to unpacking repacking roms. Can anyone here unpack the system.bin we have?

If we can put a new one together with root and or adb I think I can provide the mechanism to try to get the thing to update to it.

EDIT:

ok I think I got it...

drop system.bin in the /local folder then bring up terminal on the device
issue infoup inject /local/system.bin #you'll see a progress "..." and it should say OK
issue infoup reboot

not 100% this is it but aside from the download it looks like all the system update does. No way to tell for sure until we get a new system.bin to try ;-)

I'll start teaching myself how to unpack this thing but if someone else knows how to do this by all means!!

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
well unfortunately I ran the .bin through unyaffs and it says it's a bad image. To make sure I was doing it right since i'm just learning this, I tried this with a PDN image from their web site and it works fine. Unless someone knows what I'm doing wrong I'm thinking this is a proprietary image :-(

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
ok I put that aside for a minute and went a different way. I now have root and adb over wifi. First true test for me is to see if I can get my adhoc wifi working.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
ok got my adhoc to work "manually" for some reason apps can't see the data folder so the adhoc switcher doesn't work. I changed the owner on the files, but still no. anyone have any idea on this?

anyone still around using this device other than me? Finally making some progress.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
It's the first pallet where duds. I am waiting on the second pallet of them.. I wonder if Toy's R US pallet is better than SEARS? That System.bin just like they use with ROMs on network gear. HEX editor but I bet it's in Linux. Download SDK Droid Explorer or just go here I've fixed my Coby KYROS, I rooting it now with my own Root.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
so any clue on the hidden data folder? I can see it from the emulator and I can see it from adb. do I need to do a chown on the whole folder?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Here's the second video was made when I had got the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
ok figured out the data folder issue.

Need to chmod 777 the folders and the wpa_supplicant files.
from there I can get the adhoc switcher to run ONCE. however evertime it runs the resultant wpa_supplicant file gets the old file permissions put back on it. I'm bviously doing something wrong.

However I now can at least bruteforce switch between normal and adhoc so I know the device will do it. Just need to figure out some more permission issues.

Next I want to make a small change to /system and then reapply the stock .bin to see if my update mechanism works and that I have a form of recovery.

sorry I didn't post this last night but if anyone is interested in rooting or trying any of this:

ROOT:
just download and install and run Universal AndRoot. I've use both the temp and permanent options. always says it fails the first time, then works the second. not sure why but it DOES WORK.

ADB WIFI:
once you have root
go to teminal
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port 1111
stop adbd
start adbd

you should now be able to connect adb through wifi

that's about all I have for now. Will post steps to get adhoc working when I figure out the permission issues.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
Ok gave up on the permission errors with the adhocable app. instead I created my two supplicant files put them in the data/misc/wifi folder and then use GScript lite to have two scripts that swap them out using superuser. this works flawlessly so I can now toggle back and fourth from normal to adhoc.

BTW I reran the update and it did not whipe root. I think there is a version check of some sort during the injection. I did however get an email from the support group saying that an update should fix USB, but of couse it does not. No mention of the HDMI issue. I will talk with them tomorrow.

Next on my list is to poke to see if I can figure out why all the apps ignore portrait mode.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Just saying thanks to what you have posted thus far. It is linear and totally makes sense on your progression. Do not have one, but feel confident following your tips, i would be capable of matching your efforts.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
ok so one major issue solved at least for ACV. You can get it to be in portrait, you just need to fiddle with the rotate button in the ACV setting screen and make sure you have it set to rotate with the screen. It's a bit odd and annoying but you can get it to be portrait.