Thunderbolt for d2pad

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
I purchased another D2Pad (D201209Bxxxxx) today for my wife and have the same problem as WoweeRobert - "SDcard empty, unmounted or not present."

I used d209_recovery.zip and tb9.zip. It runs fine except for access to /mnt/sdcard. I booted to recovery and tried to mount (and format) sd card with no success.
In Settings / Storage nothing shows up between the second "Internal SD Storage" and the "ExtSD" headings like it does normally.
My external SD card (mnt/extsd) and USB flash drive (mnt/usbhost1) work fine.

I'm still researching this and will let you know if I find anything.

Jim

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
I found this information in the CM9 discussion and it fixed my internal sd card problem.

(quote)
sdcard is any easy fix,

as far as updating most likely you didn't wipe before install, do a factory reset.

to fix sdcard, use ES Explorer set root options navigate to /system/etc open vold.fstab

scroll down to this line.

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nandi

change it to this

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nandk

save and reboot

all you are changing is an i to a k in the word nandi you change it to nandk.
(endquote)

With regard to the statement "as far as updating most likely you didn't wipe before install, do a factory reset", is it simply a matter of doing a factory reset in CW?

Thanks,
Jim

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
I found this information in the CM9 discussion and it fixed my internal sd card problem.

(quote)
sdcard is any easy fix,

as far as updating most likely you didn't wipe before install, do a factory reset.

to fix sdcard, use ES Explorer set root options navigate to /system/etc open vold.fstab

change it to this

save and reboot

THANK YOU!!!

I did all of that, and set permissions within ES Explorer to make the root file system writable ( or something like that, I had to hunt) and there was success with the initial problem. The tablet boots, access stuff in an Explorer, and can save download files.... but...

Now I cannot install or update anything using Google Play store. The download starts and will, presumably, continue forever without updating anything. Downloads of new apps do the same.

Where should I look to fix this?

PS> I did a factory reset within CWM (run from Windows batch files) cleared Cache, System, Data and Dalvik 3 times each before doing the install of TB9. I still had hoops to jump through to get the internal SD mounted automatically. It's also strange that my internal SD (which I thought should be wiped totally) still had 1 file I had previously downloaded using the stock ROM.

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
I installed the 09 version and it works great. Thanks for the hard work vampirefo!! I had no problems with the touchscreen as smidget did. I did a factory reset in CW b
efore installing so maybe that helped.

May I ask for the directions you followed? I am not happy with my results so far.

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
Google Play Store not downloading:

I tried the following ideas from the internet with limited or no success.

1. Clearing the cache and data of both the Google Play Store app and the Download manager.
(seems to have a temporary effect)

2. Deleting the google account in settings and adding it through Google Play. (did not work)

3. Terminal "killall drmserver" (not sure if it did anything)

Finally I took the plunge and rebooted into recovery (Settings / Backup & reset / Recovery mode)
and did the "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache" options.
Warning: This requires setting up absolutely everything as if it were a new install,
but Google Play Store began working.

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
=======================================================================
Windows Install of Thunderbolt for D201208BxxxxxSN or D201209BxxxxxSN
=======================================================================
I used these instructions to install Thunderbolt on two D201209Bxxxxx D2pads.
These instructions should work for any rom by using a different *.zip rom file.
I welcome comments/corrections especially for step 4.

To create this I modified myfishbear's instructions and procedures.
Myfishbear's archives "d2pad hax D201208Bxxxxx SN on back" and "d2pad hax D201209Bxxxxx SN on back"
have CWM recovery, the ADB modules and drivers, and the Windows batch files (and much more).
Links to these can be found in the "-rom- d2pad SN_D201208Bxxxxx" discussion.

0. Initial setup

Put the Thunderbolt rom *.zip on the external SD card and insert it into D2pad.

tb.zip this is rom for 08 version
tb9.zip this is rom for 09 version

Connect D2pad and PC with USB cable and install the google ADB driver on your PC.

Make sure D2pad has latest update (LiveSuite), so that you have a good backup.

1. Backup the system.

Create a BACKUP directory with these files.

adb.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
cmd.exe (from Windows/System32)

(I did not use the "1.backup_script.bat" file because the three "adb shell cat" lines fail for me.
I want the backup *.img files in a directory separate from CWM recovery.
If you run this in the same directory as the CWM stuff,
you will overlay the CWM recovery.img with the backup recovery.img.)

Navigate to the BACKUP directory, run CMD.EXE, and type (or paste) these commands.

Note: > is the dos prompt and # is the adb shell prompt

> adb devices (to see if D2pad is connected properly)

> adb shell

# mkdir /sdcard/dump
# cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
# cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img
# cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
# busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/dump/d2_system.tar /system
# (control-C to exit shell)

> adb pull /sdcard/dump

At this point, you should have these files added to the BACKUP directory.

d2_system.tar
boot.img
bootloader.img
recovery.img

2. Install CWM recovery and boot into recovery.

Create a RECOVERY directory with these files from Myfishbear's archives mentioned above.

2.install_recovery.bat
3.boot_recovery.bat
adb.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
cmd.exe (from Windows/System32)
install-recovery.sh (CWM recovery)
reboot-recovery (CWM recovery)
recovery.img (CWM recovery)

Note: The last three files are also in vampirefo's dc_recovery.zip (this recovery is for 08 version)
and d209_recovery.zip (this recovery is for 09 version).

Run "2.install_recovery.bat" or enter these commands from the RECOVERY directory.

> adb remount

> adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img

> adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

> adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery

> adb shell

# chmod 775 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

# chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

# /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

Run "3.boot_recovery.bat" or enter this command.

> adb shell /system/bin/reboot-recovery

3. Once in recovery, install rom.

Install zip from sd card. Choose zip from sdcard. (tb.zip for 08 or tb9.zip for 09)

4. While in recovery, "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache".
(I'm unclear if this step needs to go before or after installing the rom from zip.
Perhaps it does not matter?)

For 08:

volume up to scroll
power to select
volume down is back

For 09:

volume down to scroll
power to select
volume up is back

5. While in recovery, "reboot system now".

6. If second Internal Storage does not show up in Settings / Storage:

(from vampirefo)

change it to this

save and reboot

all you are changing is an i to a k in the word nandi you change it to nandk.

(I think you can avoid this last step by editting the vold.fstab in the tb*.zip file
before putting it on the external SD card, but I have not tried this.)

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012

I spoke too soon. This morning after being notified by play store that an update was available for superuser, I tried to download and the download stalled.

Until I figure this out, I can sideload from 1MobileMarket (Free Android apps & games download | 1mobile.com). The install has a PC option which downloads the apk to your PC which you can copy to your tablet and install from there.

You can also go to play.google.com with your tablet's browser and try to install from there. I found it interesting that there were multiple D2Pads registered to my google account because of the various attempts to get play store to work. The top one is the current one. I'd like to delete the others, but the best I can do is hide them.

myfishbear

Nov 12, 2012

I spoke too soon. This morning after being notified by play store that an update was available for superuser, I tried to download and the download stalled.

Until I figure this out, I can sideload from 1MobileMarket (Free Android apps & games download | 1mobile.com). The install has a PC option which downloads the apk to your PC which you can copy to your tablet and install from there.

You can also go to play.google.com with your tablet's browser and try to install from there. I found it interesting that there were multiple D2Pads registered to my google account because of the various attempts to get play store to work. The top one is the current one. I'd like to delete the others, but the best I can do is hide them.

jim can you sand me your factory fresh original backup of your /system/ folder and boot.img for the 09 you can use dropbox or somthing like it

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
Google Play Store not downloading - Circumvented (I think)

While Play Store is stuck on "downloading", from terminal issue "su", then "killall drmserver".

What is interesting is that, the moment the terminal commands are finished, the download takes off.
After the first download completed, I was able to do other downloads and updates without repeating the terminal commands.
After rebooting, you will have to repeat the terminal commands.

I use jackpal android terminal emulator v1.0.48.
The v1.0.49 320k version is at https://github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator/downloads.

You can also connect to PC via USB and use ADB shell to issue "killall drmserver".

Until I hit on the above circumvention, I tried the following with limited or no success.

1. Clearing the cache and data of both the Google Play Store app and the Download manager.
2. Deleting the google account in settings and adding it through Google Play.
3. Delete the sdcard hidden folder named .android_secure. Must be done using PC and USB connection.
4. Reinstalling everything. ugh.
5. Disabling router firewall.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Google Play Store not downloading - Circumvented (I think)

While Play Store is stuck on "downloading", from terminal issue "su", then "killall drmserver".

What is interesting is that, the moment the terminal commands are finished, the download takes off.
After the first download completed, I was able to do other downloads and updates without repeating the terminal commands.
After rebooting, you will have to repeat the terminal commands.

I use jackpal android terminal emulator v1.0.48.
The v1.0.49 320k version is at https://github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator/downloads.

You can also connect to PC via USB and use ADB shell to issue "killall drmserver".

Until I hit on the above circumvention, I tried the following with limited or no success.

2. Deleting the google account in settings and adding it through Google Play.
3. Delete the sdcard hidden folder named .android_secure. Must be done using PC and USB connection.
4. Reinstalling everything. ugh.

I have never seen this, however seeing you found the problem, you can automate it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2igp57j8wb3ecq

flash via recovery, the script should kill the server on each reboot.

Last edited:

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
After flashing fix and selecting "reboot now" I get the question
"ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix?"
No / Yes - Disable recovery flash

How should I respond?

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
I chose "no" and it is working. What does choosing "yes" do - skip the fix?

Are there any possible drawbacks to this fix?

How do I reverse the process if I feel it is causing problems?

P.S.
1. This "Google Play Store not downloading" is a frequent problem even on unrooted stock rom devices.
2. For the nandi/nandk change to vold.fstab, I changed it in tb9.zip and the 2nd internal sd card shows up after installation.
3. When installing a rom, does it matter whether the "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache" is done before or after "install zip from sd card"?

Thanks for all your help,
Jim

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
After flashing fix and selecting "reboot now" I get the question
"ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix?"
No / Yes - Disable recovery flash

How should I respond?

Select no recovery is just reacting to script name.