Viewsonic G Tab 10.1" with Android OS 2.2 At Sears

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
viewsonic-viewpad-sears-available.jpg

It looks like Sears has made the Viewsonic G | Viewpad 10 available on their online ordering system and that it is also available and in-stock at some select stores. Be sure to call your local Sears to see if they have any in stock... let us know in the comments if your store has some in stock so we can inform our members if they should make the trek down there to pick one up!

There is a ViewPad 10 dual boot version with Android OS v1.6 and Windows 7 Home Premium, but doesn't look like that Sears is carry that one. It has the ViewSonic/G Android OS v2.2 listed on their main site.

Sears Spec:

ViewSonic/G Tablet Key features: NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual ARM cortex (1Ghz) Capacitive Multi-Touch/Multi Tasking panel 10.11024 X 600 TFI LCD Screen Mass Memory 16 GB Mini USB x 1; Full size USB x 1 1.3MP Front acing Webcam Earphone x 1 Micro SD card slot 2 x 1 W speaker Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n G sensor/Light sensor Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR 3500mAh/7.4V Li-polymer Battery Life 8-10 Hours Slim design (267 x 173 x 14.3mm) Wt. 820 Grams Buttons: Home/Back/Menu/Volume/Power OS / Android 2.2 Headphone Jack Built in Microphone

• NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual ARM cortex (1Ghz)

• Capacitive Multi-Touch/Multi Tasking panel

• 10.1” 1024 X 600 TFI LCD Screen

• Mass Memory 16 GB

• Mini USB x 1; Full size USB x 1

• 1.3MP Front –Facing Webcam

• Earphone x 1

• Micro SD card slot

• 2 x 1 W speaker

• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n

• G sensor/Light sensor

• Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

• 3500mAh/7.4V Li-polymer Battery Life 8-10 Hours

• Slim design (267 x 173 x 14.3mm) Wt. 820 Grams

• Buttons: Home/Back/Menu/Volume/Power

• OS / Android 2.2

Source: Sears Priced: $379.99 (I've checked my Local Sears Has it Stock!)

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
tipstir i really like that androidtablets.net logo did you make it?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
tipstir i really like that androidtablets.net logo did you make it?

No, that's from Admin the logo was changed. I had a different one posted. I found this it comes from Sears Flyer for Sunday.

150295_454725122948_579882948_5584529_7993997_n.jpg

xmlaroux

Nov 2, 2010
It is called the Gtablet ... it boots pretty slow. already had a few force closes in the browser and other apps. Screen is nice, a little tough to traverse.. i don't like th UI much... can't drag/drop like froyo on my phone.
Say's App store, but can't seem to find it on the tablet yet...

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
That seems like a smoking price for a tablet with those specs. There is nothing in stock around me or even with 250 miles. xmlaroux, please keep us updated with your thoughts on the unit as you have more time to play around with it!

greenemage

Aug 24, 2010
Xmlaroux... yes, please keep us updated! I'm looking pretty seriously at getting this one, and could use the feedback.

xmlaroux

Nov 2, 2010
All:

Pro's: Big screen, well built, pretty easy to use for a beginner.
Con's: Slow, interface uncustomizable, No Android market, no Google Apps. The box switches between apps and lags for up to 5-10 seconds at times. I find this odd for a dual core 1ghz cpu. Te be fair, I like the tablet. Maybe I'm wishing for a great Froyo+ tablet like we all are and this tablet would be perfect for a great price if they left Android 2.2 alone. It is a very nice design, firm, feels very well made. Sound is good, the browser is nice, email is nice, wifi setup and configuration is very nice. The menu flows are nice. The overall UI is good, but since you can't change the look and feel of it, that sucks as not everyone will be happy with it. Viewsonic did not make this, it appears to be an OEM product.

When I get home tonight I will download my apps (youtube-new one/angry birds/pandora/google maps/google search/google everything/movies app + a whole lot more). So far it looks like the only way to add an app is through the website www.pocketgear.com which sucks.

I will try to export my apk's from my droid 1 and install them on the device. If that fails, then this device will get returned.

More information and views of it here: www.viewsonic.com/gtablet

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
Based on reviews that I've read around the web (including the Sears site), this unit is not a true Viewsonic (OEM), it's not dual boot (that's the upcoming 7" and 10" Viewsonic tabs), the UI experience is not very good, and in general it seems like an overpriced Apad clone in the usual capability range. I'll wait some more for a better offering.

greenemage

Aug 24, 2010
In this video it doesn't use the TAP UI... how do I kill that TAP UI Crap!

In this video the poster has installed ADW.Launcher, and in that mode it looks a lot like the Froyo we all know and love... though without the notification bar. ViewSonic G-Tablet Review

He also reports that his usb/microsd ports aren't working, have you tried these? I'm hoping it's just him.

xmlaroux

Nov 2, 2010
In this video the poster has installed ADW.Launcher, and in that mode it looks a lot like the Froyo we all know and love... though without the notification bar. ViewSonic G-Tablet Review

He also reports that his usb/microsd ports aren't working, have you tried these? I'm hoping it's just him.

I've installed Launcher Pro and this thing rocks with it. It has been successfully rooted. However, there are some issues with applications:

Here are the problems people are talking about in the xda forums along with mine:
Wifi intermittant issues - I haven't had this happen to me
TAPUI - Sucks ass.. laggy
Apps F/C at times
No Market so far - other than slide/me and camangimarket
No flash yet as Adobe has not released flash for Tegra2 yet - you know how long this could take

So far... its a return until lots of these issues are resolved. I'll keep another few days just in case.