Coby 8048 Recovery, Custom ROM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
NOTE THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN DROPPED, DUE TO NO FUNDING FOR TABLET, I DON'T HAVE A TELECHIPS TABLETS SO NO WAY I CAN WORK ON THEM.

Here is my Recovery for 8048

8048_recovery_signed.zip

The recovery is signed so you can flash it via stock recovery. You can just boot into recovery then use stock recovery to navigate to 8048_recovery_signed.zip, or you can rename to update.zip and use the built in update process

Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now

once you install cw recovery boot to system then boot into cw recovery and make a backup.

Now you are good to go if you want to test My rom or just the updated playstore compatibility fix.

This is compatibility fix also signed could be installed on stock recovery, if you installed cw recovery just install via recovery.
This is generic so should work on all telechips, make sure you have backup though.

8048t1_root_gapps_signed.zip

Below is stock rom with root and gaps.

stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip

Last edited:

OldTree

Nov 23, 2012
I have installed this cw recovery. I then booted into cw recovery and attempted to make a backup. I get a "Can't mount backup path." message. It basically appears that it can't mount /sdcard. Any ideas about what might be going on?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have installed this cw recovery. I then booted into cw recovery and attempted to make a backup. I get a "Can't mount backup path." message. It basically appears that it can't mount /sdcard. Any ideas about what might be going on?

what type of micro sdcard did you use? If you are trying to backup to nand you can't, you need a removable micro sdcard.

Last edited:

OldTree

Nov 23, 2012
Sweet! Got your custom rom running on my tablet. Thanks for fixing the play store compatibility problem. It's nice to be able to install some of my most used apps now. For the apps that are pre-installed with your rom, how does the updating of those apps get handled? They all show the update option in the play store right now, however they will fail to update if you click it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
During testing I think locking apps in place is best, in case newer apps cause problems.

Yes, the apps are locked in place not upgradeable, if you understand adb I can tell you how to unlock them eg remove them, if not I can make and update.

I will post what to do, if don't understand let me know.

open es file explorer set all root permissions

navigate to /system/app

delete the apk example maps, youtube

only delete apps that wont allow you to update

gmail, youtubes, maps

open terminal

adb shell

rm -r /data/system/packages.xml

rm /data/dalvik-cache/*

reboot

now you can go to playstore and install them if you want them.

OldTree

Nov 23, 2012
Nice. I was actually able to do those steps. Thanks so much! Everything seems to be working well.

Dec 17, 2012
Hi vampirefo,
surfing the web I found that my tablet (AKAI MID7031C-4G capacitive) is the clone of the coby kyros MID7048.
First I followed this guide:[h=3]Root and Gapps for Telechips, 7032,7034,7036,7048,8048
(I had to install the zip from recovery mode since I don't have the Install Updates menu)[/h]
the installation completes successfully but it has no effect.

Now I'm trying to install 8048_recovery_signed.zip but I receive the following error:

assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/recovery.img","recovery")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

Am I missing something?

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
is it possible to maybe incorporate the cm9 theme chooser as a flashable update on top of this rom, or is that possible without having a full cm9 rom? could someone maybe take this a base rom and oossibly make a cm9 or 10 rom? some aokp and a theme chooser would definitly bring this tablet out.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampirefo,
surfing the web I found that my tablet (AKAI MID7031C-4G capacitive) is the clone of the coby kyros MID7048.
First I followed this guide:[h=3]Root and Gapps for Telechips, 7032,7034,7036,7048,8048
(I had to install the zip from recovery mode since I don't have the Install Updates menu)[/h]
the installation completes successfully but it has no effect.

Now I'm trying to install 8048_recovery_signed.zip but I receive the following error:

assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/recovery.img","recovery")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

Am I missing something?
It's saying your device is different, so it won't write recovery. Make your own thread post mount and partition results.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
is it possible to maybe incorporate the cm9 theme chooser as a flashable update on top of this rom, or is that possible without having a full cm9 rom? could someone maybe take this a base rom and oossibly make a cm9 or 10 rom? some aokp and a theme chooser would definitly bring this tablet out.

You can modify the Rom however you want.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Theme Chooser cannot be added to ROMs via a flashable zip as it requires code be added to SystemUI.apk, framework-res.apk, and perhaps other apps. If CM9 or 10 is built from source then it will have Theme Chooser capability, as the snippets of code needed to get it to work are in the source. AOKP I don't believe has Theme Chooser capability. At least, I didn't see it when I upgraded my roommate's HTC Inspire with an AOKP ROM.

Dec 17, 2012
It's saying your device is different, so it won't write recovery. Make your own thread post mount and partition results.

It's a very strange thing... my tablet looks identical to mid7048 and has the same specifications!
Anyway could you please link me a guide to get "mount and partition results"? I think that in my city were sold a lot of these cheap devices so I would like to collaborate.
Thank you :)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Last edited: