Coby 8048 Recovery, Custom ROM

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
as i am new to this tablet process i have a question. is there some type of guide to modifying or porting roms for these tablets. i know myself could probly figue ot how to change the things i wantnto change the only problem is identifying the aspects of the tablet system i am looking to mod or change.i have done a coule phones before but as i said before i am new tablets. as for building from source i would love to know how or have that capability. is there any guides or specifics on showing someone how to do so. i would think it would be alot easier to mod this already created rom to have whatever i want but just a standard cm9.or 10 rom would be perfect for this device. is it possible to alter or edit one of the cm9 builds from another coby gen 3 to work on this device without having to build completly from source?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
as i am new to this tablet process i have a question. is there some type of guide to modifying or porting roms for these tablets. i know myself could probly figue ot how to change the things i wantnto change the only problem is identifying the aspects of the tablet system i am looking to mod or change.i have done a coule phones before but as i said before i am new tablets. as for building from source i would love to know how or have that capability. is there any guides or specifics on showing someone how to do so. i would think it would be alot easier to mod this already created rom to have whatever i want but just a standard cm9.or 10 rom would be perfect for this device. is it possible to alter or edit one of the cm9 builds from another coby gen 3 to work on this device without having to build completly from source?

I don't know of any guides, there may be. I just treat the device as a Linux PC and make my changes based on that. I also use Google a lot.

martin73x

Dec 13, 2012
Hi, It is very well on my 7048. Thanks!!

I have another problem that I suposed that wolud be solved with this recovery, but it isn´t: The internal SD is not mounted. Gallery application for example says: "No Storage" "No external storage available"

I would appreciated your help!!

strat6

Dec 13, 2012
This rom is running excellently on my 7048. It makes everything look more clear and it feels less laggy. I also found it much more responsive than the stock rom. When I tried to click on small things (especially things in the corner like the search magnifying glass) the stock rom made this very difficult. This is no longer an issue with the 8048 custom rom. Keep up the good work vampire;) Without you these tablets wouldn't be worth a d@mn!!!!

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
Let me start by saying I bought 3 coby what I thought were 8042's and was trying tirelessly to get one of them rooted and gapps installed. After much fiddling with windows drivers adb files and such I realized I was delivered 3 coby 8048-4. I found vampirefo's root gapps update from the other thread and installed it on one tablet. I was amazed how easy that was using the stock update method. I now had three tablets rooted and gapps installed. but now I discovered that too many of the apps I wanted are reported as not compatable with my device.. I found this thread and tried the root gapps signed file that has compatability fix in it and used the stock update method again to install this file. upon reboot I got launcher stopped responding errors as well as other apps. A bunch of windows popped up with a ok button. i tried clicking through them all but nada. tablet froze. I was able to boot to recovery and install the recovery file you provided also in the OP of this thread on the frozen tablet and on one of the other tablet to get a recovery backup from a working tablet. Yeah I know I should have dont this first. well i used recovery to load the back up file from the other tablet and now all three are back to where I started rooted and gapps but with limited app compatability.

So I guess my question is should the new root gapps signed file worked to fix the app compatability issues? was the failed update a fluke or is it a problem trying to use this file on top of the original root gapps update? How can I fix the gapps compatabilty issue? I looked at travelers sig files but am a bit confused how to get them into my tablet.

OH also great work BTW and donations will be coming your way after the holidays got 3 kids and things a bit tight right now. LOL

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Let me start by saying I bought 3 coby what I thought were 8042's and was trying tirelessly to get one of them rooted and gapps installed. After much fiddling with windows drivers adb files and such I realized I was delivered 3 coby 8048-4. I found vampirefo's root gapps update from the other thread and installed it on one tablet. I was amazed how easy that was using the stock update method. I now had three tablets rooted and gapps installed. but now I discovered that too many of the apps I wanted are reported as not compatable with my device.. I found this thread and tried the root gapps signed file that has compatability fix in it and used the stock update method again to install this file. upon reboot I got launcher stopped responding errors as well as other apps. A bunch of windows popped up with a ok button. i tried clicking through them all but nada. tablet froze. I was able to boot to recovery and install the recovery file you provided also in the OP of this thread on the frozen tablet and on one of the other tablet to get a recovery backup from a working tablet. Yeah I know I should have dont this first. well i used recovery to load the back up file from the other tablet and now all three are back to where I started rooted and gapps but with limited app compatability.

So I guess my question is should the new root gapps signed file worked to fix the app compatability issues? was the failed update a fluke or is it a problem trying to use this file on top of the original root gapps update? How can I fix the gapps compatabilty issue? I looked at travelers sig files but am a bit confused how to get them into my tablet.

OH also great work BTW and donations will be coming your way after the holidays got 3 kids and things a bit tight right now. LOL

I am uploading another version this one will be for 8048 only. should fix any problems that you are having, will be posted on first post.

Should be uploaded now.

Last edited:

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I am uploading another version this one will be for 8048 only. should fix any problems that you are having, will be posted on first post.

Should be uploaded now.

Sorry to say still the same result. sorry launcher has stopped as well as a bunch of other things. I did download again the root gapps signed.zip file installed it through recovery.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I am not seeing any problems use the method in this thread to root and install gapps instead of one from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...pps-telechips-7032-7034-7036-7048-8048-a.html.

Thats the one I used first and it worked flawlessly. I rooted and gapps was installed but many of the apps were being reported as not compatable for my device. I then came to this thread and seen compatabilty fix already installed in the file So i installed the file from this thead and am getting th errors. Maybe I am not clear in what I have done or am missunderstanding you sorry

could it be that the file in this thread cannot be installed once the file from the other thread is installed.?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am asking you not to install from other thread, only install from this thread.

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I am installing the file from this thread onto a tablet with the file from the other thread already installed and getting the errors. Do i need to install the file from this thread only onto a stock tablet? Or should it be working even after the file from the other thread is installed?