[HowTo] A2109 Fastboot

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
@vampirefo.

root@site:~# fastboot -i 0x17ef oem unlock
< waiting for device >

If this doesn't work, I can forget the rest.

Maybe there is something wrong with the adb and fastboot installation. Where did you download it and how did you do the installation, with a script or manually?

@anika200
No I am not new to linux, I am using it over 10 years and I am familiar with the command line and bash scripting. I have read so many instructions and got so many help, which didn't work, so I ask you very kindly to tell me the link, which I should read again carefully. I promise I do, if I know, what I should read.

In the meantime I fear my fastboot installation is not working correctly. Any ideas how to check this?

adb seems to work, because I get an info, that the device is attached, while I never got anything that looks like, that fastboot works.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
# lsusb | grep Lenovo

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 17ef:74e6 Lenovo

/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e12", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0fff", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e22", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e20", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}=="70a9", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="708c", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d101", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d022", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d010", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

This is new in /root and the home-dir
.android/adb_usb.ini

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x17ef

I think I have to test with a simple fastboot-command first, like:

fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot

< waiting for device >

The problem is, that fastboot doesn't recognize the device, while adb does.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok I don't like anything you have mind getting rid of all of it and starting over, just using what i post?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
@vampirefo.

If this doesn't work, I can forget the rest.

Maybe there is something wrong with the adb and fastboot installation. Where did you download it and how did you do the installation, with a script or manually?

@anika200
No I am not new to linux, I am using it over 10 years and I am familiar with the command line and bash scripting. I have read so many instructions and got so many help, which didn't work, so I ask you very kindly to tell me the link, which I should read again carefully. I promise I do, if I know, what I should read.

In the meantime I fear my fastboot installation is not working correctly. Any ideas how to check this?

adb seems to work, because I get an info, that the device is attached, while I never got anything that looks like, that fastboot works.

I've said this before, but I don't know if you've tried it: When I boot into fastboot mode by vol down + power, fastboot doesn't work. If I am in adb mode and enter 'adb reboot bootloader', when fastboot mode loads, it works (after a couple seconds to detect the device). The syntax in linux may be different, but your tablet may only work with fastboot in that fashion, as mine does.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
adb_usb.ini

gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

#LENOV0 Ideapad A2109A
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e6", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e8", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"

copy my fastboot and adb /usr/bin set permissions

reboot computer here.

download quickboot from market

select bootloader

as root

Last edited:

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
@vampirefo
My fastboot binary came with my adb binary via android-sdk-linux.
android-sdk_r21.0.1-linux.tgz Android SDK | Android Developers
I copied them both to /usr/bin/

I downloaded adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip (392.4MB)

Your adb _fastboot.zip is 167.3kb.

What I can say at first sight, that your binaries have different md5sums than mine.

from http://adb-fastboot-install.googlecode.com/files/Androidv4.zip (recommended by anika200)
0d1f042160f47bb5eb3db5d039670f74 /usr/bin/fastboot

from http://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip
99c3e4fb4e88d837878a56083d9681d2 Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot

from adb _fastboot.zip (vampirefo)
9893e1618501d0a5515e01a734e6e1be Downloads/adb _fastboot/fastboot

Did you copy anything other than adb and fastboot from the platform-tools somewhere?

I tried all 3 fastboot with fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot and everytime I get < waiting for device >

@FloRider:
I tried 'adb reboot bootloader' very often and I do it again:

Immediately I got a blank screen on the display of the A2109A, see the "USB-connected-logo" in the middle and on the top 2 lines with

Entering Fastboot based on booting mode configuration
Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

But how I go on?

Do I have to enter a command in my linux shell on the pc?

Hey, this time something worked:

# adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

I go on with testing and give a feedback, when something important happens.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hey you are at least making progress, as for myself I dumped the system, recovery and boot.img, modified the boot.img to always be root.
is your Linux 64bit or 32bit, i always use 32bit.

and no i did copy anything else to usr/bin/

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
adb_usb.ini

gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

#LENOV0 Ideapad A2109A
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e6", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e8", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"

copy my fastboot and adb /usr/bin set permissions

reboot computer here.

download quickboot from market

select bootloader

as root

Sorry I didn't see this, since I was trying
FloRider's way and I am little step further, but now it hangs:

root@client2:/home/xy/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools# /home/xy/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot -i 0x17ef oem unlock...
(bootloader) Use device key for selection.
OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.001s

root@client2:/home/xy/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools# fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install_nfs/androidins/ideapad/ics/A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img'
downloading 'boot.img'...

On the A2109A display I see:

Showing unlock menu
Press <Volume Up> to select, <Volume Down> for selection move

Don't unlock it
Unlock it

So I rhink I should have pressed the buttons on the tablet to unlock it first, before I entered the 2nd command
fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install_nfs/androidins/ideapad/ics/A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img'

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
Ok, I see "Bootloader is unlocked now", after executing "fastboot -i 0x17ef oem unlock". I had to press first Volume down and then up.

fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install_nfs/androidins/ideapad/ics/A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img' is fine now too:

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 1.039s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.248s]
finished. total time: 1.288s

Last edited:

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, it looks a lot better now. IMHO the only difference is, that I used another fastboot now.

So please be kind and help me how to go on, I am nearly done. I don't want to search in all the threads what I have to do now.

I see CWM Based Recovery v6.1.0.9. In the middle is a logo with a head.

AFAIR I need to install Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip (install zip from sdcard)

Do I have to wipe something too, if so before or after installing Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip?

There are no private data stored on the tablet.

There is:

wipe data / factory reset
wipe cache partition

There is a rumour, that wipe is necessary to get no battery drain.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
My tablet was reset to stock once I unlocked the bootloader, just install the Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and reboot.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
Well, I thought it shouldn't be a problem, if I wipe with both options and after the reboot everything seems to be fine. SDMaid asked for superuser permissions, so it is rooted now. Crazy that I used a fastboot which didn't work correctly. It took me days. I will see your other hints re udev-permissions in the next time, but it looks my setup works too. To repeat it, adb and fastboot from http://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip in sdk/platform-tools worked for me. I didn't try the versions of vampirefo, since it worked, but I assume, it works, since it worked at his pc. I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.2.0-35-generic and 64bit CPU. With XP I tried the 32bit version with a 64bit CPU. I am happy that I got it work with linux.

Thanks to all who helped me! I hope I pressed enough thank.buttons ;-)

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
Wow, good job everybody. I was beginning to wonder if we would pull it off :rolleyes:
@a2109a next challenge for you...nandroid backup.