[HowTo] A2109 Fastboot

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Wow, good job everybody. I was beginning to wonder if we would pull it off :rolleyes:
@a2109a next challenge for you...nandroid backup.

Maybe we can excerpt this into another guide or two ;)

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 2

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Well, I thought it shouldn't be a problem, if I wipe with both options and after the reboot everything seems to be fine. SDMaid asked for superuser permissions, so it is rooted now. Crazy that I used a fastboot which didn't work correctly. It took me days. I will see your other hints re udev-permissions in the next time, but it looks my setup works too. To repeat it, adb and fastboot from http://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip in sdk/platform-tools worked for me. I didn't try the versions of vampirefo, since it worked, but I assume, it works, since it worked at his pc. I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.2.0-35-generic and 64bit CPU. With XP I tried the 32bit version with a 64bit CPU. I am happy that I got it work with linux.

Thanks to all who helped me! I hope I pressed enough thank.buttons ;-)

By the way, did you have the same problem entering bootloader as me? I don't think it ever loads correctly for me without using 'adb reboot bootloader'.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 2

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
It could be, that it is a problem with ICS. I had big battery problems with JB, so I decided to stay with ICS. Can anybody explain me, what is better with Jelly Bean? At the moment JB looks for me more like "versionitis" ;-)

Also I would like to know, why I want a Nandroid-backup? What are the advantages? Installing apps from the market with MyAppsList is so fast, that Google locked me a 2nd time, since it thinks I am a bot. The rest is automatic syncing from my pc.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
It could be, that it is a problem with ICS. I had big battery problems with JB, so I decided to stay with ICS. Can anybody explain me, what is better with Jelly Bean? At the moment JB looks for me more like "versionitis" ;-)

Also I would like to know, why I want a Nandroid-backup? What are the advantages? Installing apps from the market with MyAppsList is so fast, that Google locked me a 2nd time, since it thinks I am a bot. The rest is automatic syncing from my pc.

With nandroid you can get back to exactly where you where if something goes wrong or you wipe out your /data partition Or you want to downgrade from a system update without a huge pain.
This nandroid gets everything, root, email settings, bookmarks etc.... You don't get all that stuff back from the google play store. Its a real backup not an app restore program.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
At the moment I am tired of tablet-hacking. Did anyone try it? Is there a howto? My priority is now to mount the tablet on my linux box and to sync it. What I found is, that mtpfs changes the date, which is a problem with rsync.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
cw recovery backup is recommended should be required for all users, The first backup should be a tar backup, what this does is creates a stock rom, then after stock backup, then use cw recovery which it's backup is a specific rom.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
At the moment I am tired of tablet-hacking. Did anyone try it? Is there a howto? My priority is now to mount the tablet on my linux box and to sync it. What I found is, that mtpfs changes the date, which is a problem with rsync.

I wrote a guide on how to build a kernel from source. I stopped after discussing config options for lack of interest.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
I don't understand why you quote my posting to building an own kernel. Nevertheless it is in interesting thing. I would like to use ext4 or xfs with my sdhc-card. But at the moment, I would _like_ to use my tablet and not optimize the last 10% of my wishes.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012

I thought working with the kernel would be considered "tablet-hacking". I must have misunderstood. Regardless, I am glad that you are happy with your tablet configuration, and I hope that I helped in some way.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
Yes you helped me a lot. While I found the problem with the broken (at least for my device) binary myself, you inspired me to try it again your way and then it worked with the other fastboot. Now I try to delete the most bloatware. Let's see if it works.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
To confuse the whole thing. Since the display flickers a lot more with ICS than with JB, I tried on another machine, but with the same binaries and I am again at < waiting for device >

~$ /install/androidins/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/adb devicesList of devices attached
FD60****** device

~$ /install/androidins/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/adb reboot bootloader

~$ /install/androidins/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot
< waiting for device >

~# /install/androidins/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/adb reboot bootloader

~# /install/androidins/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install/androidins/ideapad/lenovo_a2109a_downloads/cwm_for_4.1.1/a2109_cwmrecovery-6.0.1.9d.img'
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 1.067s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.249s]
finished. total time: 1.316s

So I think the problem is, that adb can be used as user, but fastboot has to be used as root. (at least with Xubuntu 12.04)

Therefore my way is to reboot into fastboot mode with adb and then execute the fastboot commands as root.

Important is to watch the tablet. It is not a good idea to connect it to the usb-cable and put it somewhere where you cannot monitor the display!

I have now a2109a_mcl0201.zip installed and see apps, which I treat as bloatware, eg skype. Did I install the wrong JB-image?

Hopefully I have not a fast battery drain again.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have already stated at least twice that root is required for fastboot, I am glad you now understand that.

I don't watch the screen no need to.

I have been using A2109A_MCL0201 all day without noticing a battery drain.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
There have been people, who explained that root is not necessary. Most times I used root, but I don't remember when I did and when not. At least it is strange for me that adb works as user and fastboot not. Sorry for ignoring your advice. With XP I always used root and couldn't get a result, but I am not familiar with XP.

I apologize again to ignore some of your postings. Mails arrived very late, so I didn't do, what you suggested.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There have been people, who explained that root is not necessary. Most times I used root, but I don't remember when I did and when not. At least it is strange for me that adb works as user and fastboot not. Sorry for ignoring your advice. With XP I always used root and couldn't get a result, but I am not familiar with XP.

I apologize again to ignore some of your postings. Mails arrived very late, so I didn't do, what you suggested.

Not a problem, I don't give advice on windows anyway, I thought you were a Linux guy, My advice is only for Linux as I don't use windows, I will add you to ignore as well.