Jellybean (Android 4.1.1) Update for 7022 [Root and Gapps]

Jaxmoto

Jun 9, 2012
Ok, two things on this rom....

The memory increase change:

I went to do the 1gb memory conversion so this rom would install. Without changing to 1gb of memory, or at least hard wiping the nand to free up every inch of space, this will not install, it is simply too big. You should either note that the memory wipe/change is required and add the step to the guide, or work on another version of the rom that is small enough to install on a stock 7022.

In that process to increase the memory, you also have a failed step... you CANNOT just use a cwrm .img file to add to your build, it is not compatible with FWDN. You MUST install the CM7 build or you basically get nothing at all.

What you CAN do is install the lk.rom, build the nand file, then install the nand by itself (without a recovery.img) and then reset and go to fastboot and from there use your standard Android SDK command prompt to install the recovery.img that has cwrm. This gives you a fresh and clean install, with just the lk.rom and cwrm without having to completely install another rom just to get past the compatibility issue.

The Jelly Bean rom:

I got it all installed but there are still issues. The primary issue is that just like ICS this build has the video playback issues with video files and Youtube. At best you can get about 10 fps in any quality. The build simply is not optimized for this tablet. The 7022 is good for really 3 things... Internet browsing, videos and games. When you completely kill 1/3 of the uses of the tablet it really takes away from it.

Here are some if the things I ran into while testing it....

* Video playback capping around 10fps, very choppy
* Wifi slowdown still there - the bug kicks in the instant the tablet goes to sleep the first time and stays till rebooted - results in extremely slow wifi speeds
* Without access to the SD card you only have about 2.2gb of space on the tablet to use - backups and other standard memory hogs will fill that up fast
* Since this is a generic build it has no volume control - volume control apps in the notification bar help but require you to get there to change the volume
* Even when using the slow Youtube it still often comes up with "video format not supported" (on videos I have watched on other devices)

Overall I think it is just like the ICS build we were all trying... it is a neat attempt, but isn't compatible enough with the 7022 to really make it worth it.

Adromir

Aug 4, 2012
I uploaded the new version. This time I'm sure it has MOST issues FIXED. Try it out
I tried your new Version, but on my Coby it has a sound issue, which means when i am typing, i dont get always a feedback sound when hitting a letter on the keyboard. Apart from that sometimes it fails to boot and even "working" nandroid backups don't work then.

neosherdoc

Sep 20, 2012
Hey,I could get rid off the activation pop-up.
Now I'm trying to free the google play store compatibility to get any app, but I got stuck. I tried the build.prop change tip but didn't work, any solution?

gameclub4000

Nov 8, 2011
Nice :rolleyes:
coby_gapps and
RecoveryTool
work perfectly on my coby MID1125-4G (official android 4.1.1 update,not rooted)
Can we find a 4.1.1 googe talk app too ?

Last edited:

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
Hey,I could get rid off the activation pop-up.
Now I'm trying to free the google play store compatibility to get any app, but I got stuck. I tried the build.prop change tip but didn't work, any solution?

How did you manage to get rid of the activation pop-up ?! I'm really interested.

About the app compatibility issues, there is 4 things to do to fix it fully :
- change the build.prop to an other model
- add some permission xml file to the ROM
- tweak the framework-res.apk to enable location service
- add NetworkLocation.apk to the ROM

We are talking about this in this thread : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lets-settle-google-play-compatible-issue.html

Nice :rolleyes:
coby_gapps and
RecoveryTool
work perfectly on my coby MID1125-4G (official android 4.1.1 update,not rooted)
Can we find a 4.1.1 googe talk app too ?
Unfortunately, there is not enough space on system partition to be able to install Google Now on official ROM.

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
How did you manage to get rid of the activation pop-up ?! I'm really interested.

We are talking about this in this thread : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lets-settle-google-play-compatible-issue.html

Unfortunately, there is not enough space on system partition to be able to install Google Now on official ROM.

Actually, I was able to get google now installed. It took me a while to make it work. Had several crashes at first but I was able to fix several issues. Added some of my code and removed some useless apps to make it fit. I'm also looking forward into adding volume buttons on the softbar and maybe add some tablet ui mods (probably hybrid, got several apps to display in tablet mode but some crash) to give it a bigger tablet look. I'll give the link and password for the zip to those who donate.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

Kiiv, if you run from sdcard, like I do with my jelly bean for 8042, you can make your /system any size you want, also you can make your /data any size you want. So no problem installing full gapps

vampirefo@Vamp:~/Desktop$ adb shell
root@android:/ # busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 407.1M 84.0K 407.1M 0% /dev
tmpfs 407.1M 0 407.1M 0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs 407.1M 0 407.1M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 1007.9M 386.3M 570.4M 40% /system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 3.7G 362.7M 3.2G 10% /data
/dev/block/nandh 252.0M 4.1M 247.8M 2% /cache
/dev/block/dm-0 17.0M 11.5M 5.5M 68% /mnt/asec/com.aitype.android.tablet.p-1
/dev/block/vold/179:1
10.1G 663.3M 9.5G 6% /storage/sdcard1
/dev/block/vold/93:64
2.1G 967.1M 1.2G 44% /storage/sdcard0
/dev/block/vold/93:64
2.1G 967.1M 1.2G 44% /mnt/secure/asec
root@android:/ #

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
About partition size, I've already find a workaround by using the space of the data partition, faster than sdcard. First I've though to use an "app2sd like" like yours but with my 800mb data partition I've let this solution down. But thanks for the tip!
But maybe I'll have to use this solution finally because many people only have a 256mb data partition...

My main problem now is to remove activation key and to fix slow video playing... But I have no idea at the moment. It's really bad to not have kernel and firmwares sources :( I'm dreaming of an aokp build... ;)

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
About partition size, I've already find a workaround by using the space of the data partition, faster than sdcard. First I've though to use an "app2sd like" like yours but with my 800mb data partition I've let this solution down. But thanks for the tip!
But maybe I'll have to use this solution finally because many people only have a 256mb data partition...

My main problem now is to remove activation key and to fix slow video playing... But I have no idea at the moment. It's really bad to not have kernel and firmwares sources :( I'm dreaming of an aokp build... ;)

My way is faster than using internal /data that is class 4, I use a class 10 sdcard, even a class 6 sdcard is faster than internal memory. Yes I know having source would be great, coby isn't going to release them though, I don't need them for the allwinner version as kernel source is available, anyway good luck.

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
Ho, I didn't know that internal memory was only class 4 :/ Thanks for those informations :)

dazoo

Oct 6, 2012
-Boot into CWM recovery

hello there people, i have a noob question for you. how do i "boot into cwm recovery??"!!

i tried to follow many guides/tutorials but i always have the same problem. i try to update through the sd card and the different "update.zip" files i have downloaded but it always goes into fastboot mode.

any ideas or solution to get into cwm recovery?

thank you

liveoutloud91

May 18, 2012
hello there people, i have a noob question for you. how do i "boot into cwm recovery??"!!

i tried to follow many guides/tutorials but i always have the same problem. i try to update through the sd card and the different "update.zip" files i have downloaded but it always goes into fastboot mode.

any ideas or solution to get into cwm recovery?

thank you
Let's assume you have installed the recovery correctly:
1) Properly power off your tab
2) Press and hold down the big silver buttion ("back") and while holding it down press and hold down the power button
3) When the Coby boot screen appears, release the power button while holding "back", you should boot into ClockworkMod Recovery which will be characterized by the top hat in the background.

If you haven't installed CWM recovery, then you may have a fake/deffective/wrong zip. It could be numerous things and it could be that you need to clear your cache (be careful doing this though because I have lost more backups this way).

Happy modding!

Bruceakinson

Oct 7, 2012
I'm currently using your rom, but I'm curious... What method did you use to root JB? I've tried a few and haven't been able to get it working, (although root using your rom works great).

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
I'm currently using your rom, but I'm curious... What method did you use to root JB? I've tried a few and haven't been able to get it working, (although root using your rom works great).

If it works without the jb-su.zip then you don't need to flash it. If SU closes or doesn't work then flash the zip. You can use the zip file for any other jelly bean rom as long as you have clockworkmod as your recovery.
Now to answer your question, I just copied the su apk into the system folder and the su binary into the bin folder. After that I just added the permission to the update script of the rom in order for it to work.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

nicholasa

Sep 7, 2011
This works great compared to the stock rom. I just can't get rid of the damn activation **** and locations doesn't work. oh and I get occational mirroring plus I was able to change the pixel density to 160ppi and it messed up everything. And i was able to install the 1gb root partition which now its like a real tablet. But I like it, it's much better. Thank you.