Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't have time to make the package, for right now flash this via recovery 9042_boot_patch.zip

it should fix your touch screen, this weekend I will put together a package to get you back to stock.

Note don't flash above if you didn't flash the 8042 boot.img, if you still have your 9042 boot.img back it up and upload it. Also you made need to flash the 9042 recovery.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
The only thing i did was 8042.zip, I dont know if the 8042.boot.img was part of thatWhen you mention "Flash" and "Upload" are you talking about the same procedure through ADB? How do I flash the .img file? Once I get back to stock, I would like to get back to root to get the google playstore and netflix working. Which I believe was part of the 8042.zip file that I installed.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hagsmich said:
The only thing i did was 8042.zip, I dont know if the 8042.boot.img was part of thatWhen you mention "Flash" and "Upload" are you talking about the same procedure through ADB? How do I flash the .img file? Once I get back to stock, I would like to get back to root to get the google playstore and netflix working. Which I believe was part of the 8042.zip file that I installed.

I am at work, right now. all you should need to do is push the touch screen driver and set it's permission.
Flashing is done via cw recovery. See if you can boot into recovery, don't flash anything just see if you can, if so I will make a zip file to be flash in recovery to push the ts driver.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
I've spent hours/days searching all over the internet for how to root this mid9042 and how to get the playstore on it. I have to say so far you have been the best. I even paid $29 dollars to one website that guaranteed they could get me rooted with the playstore. They had to give me my money back because they couldn't do it using Super One Click. I appreciate all your help and I love learning about this stuff so I can help others once I gain enough knowledge. Thanks again.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
I flashed it via recovery and I got an error message saying error in file 9042_ts.zip I have to say, I am getting good at flashing things now.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
Nope it bricked it. It try's to boot but gets stuck at the word "Android" It sits there and says android. It will boot into recovery. So while in recovery I did a factory reset which brought me back to where I was with the locked screen. You can see the home screen but the touch screen doesn't work.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hagsmich said:
Nope it bricked it. It try's to boot but gets stuck at the word "Android" It sits there and says android. It will boot into recovery. So while in recovery I did a factory reset which brought me back to where I was with the locked screen. You can see the home screen but the touch screen doesn't work.

You need to do factory reset then install the full system.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
Now I can't even boot into recovery. I try to type adb shell and it says device not found and when I reset it I now have a half gray screen and a half white screen. then I held the power button down with the volume up button and it rebooted back to the USB connected screen. ADB still won't recognize the device. If ADB doesn't recognize the device and I can't boot into recovery I'm pretty much screwed right? Do I own a boat anchor now?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hagsmich said:
Now I can't even boot into recovery. I try to type adb shell and it says device not found and when I reset it I now have a half gray screen and a half white screen. then I held the power button down with the volume up button and it rebooted back to the USB connected screen. ADB still won't recognize the device. If ADB doesn't recognize the device and I can't boot into recovery I'm pretty much screwed right? Do I own a boat anchor now?

No you don't have a boat anchor, your tablet is no doubt weird though.
You are learning no to flash another rom, and why making backups are important.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Your screen makes no sense can you explain exactly what you did? Something isn't right. Nothing in a system can effect your screen.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
I flashed the 9042.zip file as suggested. It booted up and got stuck on the ANDROID word. I did a reset with a paper clip. Still frozen. I went into recovery and it said factory reset. I hit factory reset. The device booted up and the screen froze on the home page. I tried another reset and it was still frozen. I held down the power button and the volume button then it booted up to the half gray half white screen. I did another reset with a paper clip and it is now stuck on the screen which shows the little green android guy and in the upper right hand corner it says USB connected. The screen is frozen and I can't boot into recovery. And when I type ADB device it doesn't show the device. I'm actually quite fascinated at the whole process, how did you learn all about this stuff?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I flashed the 9042.zip file as suggested. It booted up and got stuck on the ANDROID word. I did a reset with a paper clip. Still frozen. I went into recovery and it said factory reset. I hit factory reset. The device booted up and the screen froze on the home page. I tried another reset and it was still frozen. I held down the power button and the volume button then it booted up to the half gray half white screen. I did another reset with a paper clip and it is now stuck on the screen which shows the little green android guy and in the upper right hand corner it says USB connected. The screen is frozen and I can't boot into recovery. And when I type ADB device it doesn't show the device. I'm actually quite fascinated at the whole process, how did you learn all about this stuff?

hook a keyboard upto it and go into settings, and enable usd debug under development section.

Have you tried and hard key combos to get into recovery?

I don't understand why your ts isn't working, I do have a livesuite image for the 9042

these livesuite images can fix your problem or destroy your tablet LOL.

Last edited: